Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Vintage Pattern Unobtanium

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Pattern Unobtanium

Could be the only Phoenix 9 in existence.

Don Lowe gave it to Pete Waters (Kraft Midwest), found its way to a local club member, transferred twice more and the fellow who has it is contemplating what to do. Mechanical retracts, adjustable stab. May have had a YS 91 initially? Hacked cowl indicates a conventional motor with side-mount muffler, reportedly an OS 61 SF. DL's name, phone & AMA# are on the sides. Needs some TLC. There may have been an article in FM or another magazine, as the present owner recalls having seen the design in this color scheme.
Knowing the individuals, the provenance is near bulletproof.
Edit: The engine may have been a YS 120; the plane may have had photos, not an article, in a magazine, circa early 90's.

Last edited by eddieC; 10-21-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:19 AM
eddieC

***** Crickets *******
Old 10-21-2013, 03:27 PM
CHiatt
My Feedback: (1)

It was Don's airplane, might have been the only example too.

I forwarded a link to this thread to Don Lowe and his son Jon. Perhaps they can give you some info/guidance

Regards,
Cliff
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM
jonlowe
My Feedback: (12)

It's a Phoenix 9. I have the sister to it. Believe they were built by Bob Godfrey. Mine is powered by an OS 61RFP ABC which is likely what powered that one. That is my Dad's old AMA number. It was a very early turnaround pattern design when things were in transition. The wing was originally longer but Dad cut off the tips to stop tail wag. He has a Phoenix 10, the only one ever built, which is basically the same plane, just with a longer tail moment. I think he still has another Phoenix 9 fuselage, as he used the wings and horizontals for the Phoenix 10. The 10 has the same engine as my Phoenix 9.

These were obviously a radical departure from the earlier designs in the series. They were also designed around the new noise limits, with higher pitched props turning slower, along with effective tuned pipes.

There is a possibility that the Phoenix you have may have had a Enya 1.20 four stroke at some point. I think it was too early for the YS 1.20s.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:23 AM
eddieC

Thanks very much, Cliff and Jon. This example has landed in the right hands, and it will be taken care of by a long-time pattern flier.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:51 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a color shot of Don and Jon, with that P-9, when it was all together. Keep looking. I just took a look, Jon may have it.
Found it, not the one I was looking for. Jon, is this the same plane ?
Crank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PP-9-1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1937512   Click image for larger version

Name:	PP-9-2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1937513  
Attached Images  

Last edited by crankpin; 11-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Are there plans anywhere for the P9?