Calypso Plan

Subscribe
It is surprising to me that there is no plans for Hanno Prettner's Calypso out there on the net. I built a few way back when they were current, modeled on the Model Tech kit. So I thought I would work up a set of drawings from the available information. There are still a few of the Model Tech Calyso's around so getting dimensions is possible.

Here are the kit instructions. They have a drawing of sorts included, so that is a good start. Not sure how accurate they are though so need checking against the real thing.

Here are the relevant drawings.

Barry Kwong has a NIB Calypso and has done some measurements. Hopefully he and others will do more.

Wing root and tip dimensions.

Here I have scaled and stitched together the Kit drawings also used Barry's info. I know the fin is not right as I have conflicting information.

Reply 1

Here is a dimensioned pic of the rudder I found.
Plan view must be pretty close as I have all the important dimensions. The wing area here is 732 sq. in.
The various fin dimensions don't quite stack up there is a 12mm or so discrepancy.

Rudder numbers look good here.

Barry's fin drawing has got the rudder a bit off but the rest looks plausible

Rudder is 11mm too long so either Barry's drawing is wrong or the kit one is wrong. Hard to know.

Picture of David Oxilia's build.
On closer examination it looks like the drawings from the manual are not right in xy. I will stretch them and start again.

Fixed the scaling and now the fin fits properly.
BTW my favored airfoils are a very close fit. S 8035 for the wing and S 8020 for the stab.

I think this is a reasonably accurate profile now.
Mostly worked out the drawing. It would be great for someone with an original to check it. I will then tidy it up.

Fuselage and formers
Here is the DXF file. Sorry. was wrong file type. This one is correct

unable to open
Hi Rodney

For some reason None of my cad programs will read your file, can you save it in a different format that is more compatible with older software Eg autoskech or as a PDF

Regards

John Papandreou
Here is a PDF

I would be interested to know what the wing tip airfoil thickness is. With the root looking to be 14% I would think the tip should be 12 to 13%.
Things to do
Hi Rodney
I was able to view the pdf... There are a few small issues with the plan that you may like to update

Paper Size Please make sure the Width of the plan is only 36 inches:- as this is the max paper size on a plotter the paper is on a roll therefore length can be what ever you like, . This will make Printing the plan easy,,,,We all want get a print made.so we can build one

Line Thickness on the drawing, you need to mage the lines a little thicker and all of them black, I know color looks nice but outputting is is a issue for some Plotters (Mine is a old HP 755cm)

Put a border around your plan with a scale on it so you can check the plot is correct.

Wood and sizes:- you need add these

Allow for the sheeting thickness on the foam wing and stab

I hope my feedback is help full and you have done a great job

last Put your name on it you have done a good job (My Tech Drawing Teacher would always insist on it)

Regards

John Papandreou
That's great John. Work in progress. I haven't really wanted to produce a finished drawing yet as some of the dimensions are speculative. However until someone can check it I can not move further ahead. Sooo I will just tidy it up and put it to bed in the meantime.
A while ago I got some canopies from Tower Hobbies for another project. Any of them would fit the Calypso. The cowl is a bit more problematic. The options are, a mold, lost foam fiberglass, wood/fiberglass.

Work in progress.

Continued working on the drawing. I have done a drawing for a wood cowl which could be used for making a pattern for molding or glassed and used as is.

This is very impressive. Well done sir(s).
Very Good
Hi Rodney

The plan is looking very good.....Keep up the good work

Johnkpap