Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Standing position for take off

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Standing position for take off

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM
thedeeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Standing position for take off

Not allowed at our club and dangerous. Also, taking off behind your plane never teaches you the proper visual perspective of the runway and takeoff. Just my opinion.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided it is not even worth posting.....

Jeff
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Unless you negotiate it with ALL flyers out there, stay off the runway so that others can fly too.

Standing behind your plane totake off is a noob thing, anyone flying turbines should be good enough to fly from the pits.

However when doing park flying, I do tend to stand in the runway if I need to fly around or underneath light poles, depth perception isnt too great.

If you need to stand in the runway to fly something thats find just make sure you arent talking smack about anything because in reality you have no room to talk.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thedeeman

Not allowed at our club and dangerous. Also, taking off behind your plane never teaches you the proper visual perspective of the runway and takeoff. Just my opinion.
Original post: (Are pilots allowed to stand on the runway behind their plane for take off in your club.
Our club allows this, I myself think the practice is dangerous what do others think? )

Since I think you are grossely wrong in your perspective, I again post part of my upper item about standing behind a Take-off.

My answer to that: Ref. the original post: My main club, Jetero RC Club, Inc. has this rule in their field rules.

>>"7. Pilots and Callers and or Helpers will stand at the pilot stations while flying. Pilot will
call out to other pilots that he/she is going onto the runway, Taking-Off, or Landing.
(NOTE: It is permissible to make a Take-Off from the runway, but after the Take-Off,
proceed to the first available Pilot Station.)"

As an RC flier in many fields and areas, over some 45 years, I see nothing wrong with this procedure. As an Instructor pilot in USAF, both T-33 and T-38, along within
instructing newer arrivals in Long Range Navigation and Strategic Bombardment, Strategic Air Command, 2nd Bomb Wing, 429th and 96th Bomb Squadrons, I have had a bit of background in instruction, flying and classroom. Therefore I think for an initial training period, it is very good to allow the student to get a feel of what the airplane is doing as he/she attempts to stear from behind-the-machine in his/her original Take-Off Training. IMO, the student can then better understand what is happening when he/she moves to the sideline.
Good training and UNDERSTANDING both pilot technique and the airplane's natural desire to do its own thing increases the student pilot's perception of his/her required inputs in progressing in the training phase. The most dangerous situations happen when (1) a student is soloed too early for his/her experience and abilities, and (2) the student, instructor, or even experienced pilot has the instilled pilot thing of "Now watch this" along with the proverbial "OH SH_T" following. BTDT.
Fly SAFELY, Instruct others to do same.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

we have 50 members> most of the time there are only 6 men at the field on any day we are 60 to 80 yrs old>> we fly with one plane in the air at a time we got a 800 ft black top runway>so we dont have to abide by the ama rules>and we do have fun>life is short try to relax and have fun
Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: joebahl

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Actually, I see a lot of foamy pilots standing behind their plane for take-off quite a bit. And they always ask/advise others of the fact. All of whom always allow the guy to go on the runway.
It's called, COURTESY.

Moreover, If a guy wants to maiden his plane the same way, and request he have the sky to himself, others should allow this. At every field I flew at, this was also common practice. REGARDLESS OF THE COST OF THE PLANE !!!

Again, it's called, COURTESY.

No one should object to such requests. No one needs their ''flight-fix'' that much as to over-ride common courtesy to another.

I think that if anyone disagrees with this, they are r/c flight junkies!
You may need to go to R/C rehab !!

Here's a test. Below, there are two pictures.
If you look at the picture on the left BEFORE you look at the picture on the right, you are an r/c junkie in the purest form. You should sign yourself up for r/c rehab immediately.
If you even look at the picture on the left, you still need help.
Great post sir joe
Thanks ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92606.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1870410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11079.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1870411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49561.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1870412  
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM
ssautter

Here is a quote from the Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code:

"3.Model aircraft will not be flown in AMA sanctioned events, air shows or model demonstrations unless:
(a) The aircraft, control system and pilot skills have successfully demonstrated all maneuvers intended or anticipated prior to the specific event.
(b) An inexperienced pilot is assisted by an experienced pilot."

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

It doesn't matter whether your new ship costs one-hundred dollars or one-thousand dollars. The maiden flight should be performed without the peanut gallery, a camera-person, and your family dog at the flying field!.
If these conditions are met, then I see no problems with standing towards the end of the runway, during a maiden flight and subsequent test flights.

The safety-line is also written in the AMA bylaws:

"3. At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place (AMA Document #706-Recommended Field Layout):
(a) Only personnel associated with flying the model aircraft are allowed at or in front of the safety line.
(b) At air shows or demonstrations, a straight safety line must be established.
(c) An area away from the safety line must be maintained for spectators.
(d) Intentional flying behind the safety line is prohibited."

The pilot stations are not absolutely neccessary. For example: flying from a designated heli-pad is acceptable, so long as the formentioned bylaws are observed.
Possible radio interference and clear peripheral vision are good reasons to keep pilots spaced-out, along the flightline. But, the pilot stations shouldn't be used as a crutch, either.
A pilot may stand on a taxi-way or adjacent to a pilot station, and still be within the safety-margin stated in the AMA bylaws. If another pilot is blocking your peripheral, ask them to move.

Happy flying....

Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM
[email protected]

our club dont pay any think to ama rules we only have maybe 6 people at our field any given day we all get along good have fun one plane in the air at a time thats the way we like it and it is a ama field
Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

our club dont pay any think to ama rules we only have maybe 6 people at our field any given day we all get along good have fun one plane in the air at a time thats the way we like it and it is a ama field
No, it is not an AMA field. There is only one AMA field and it is in Muncie, Indiana.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM
ssautter

I like that!

The only AMA field is in Muncie?

HaHaHeHe....