Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The Thing About Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:01 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default The Thing About Advice

How does one know if their getting good advice from who they are listening too in these forums? I for one have never asked for advice since the invent of these type forums, but I have and do give it at times. Here on RCU much advice given is met with opposition of some sorts; making it very confusing for the unknowing at best. So lets hear it folks, what would your advice be to the unknowing about getting sound advice in here?

Bob
Old 06-24-2013, 04:14 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The Thing About Advice

Free advice ... worth every penny.

Most times, people seeking advice want nothing more than confirmation of their own decisions ... they aren't really looking for alternatives to what they are planning to do.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I,ve found advice is like opinions or other things,-everybody's got one !!! Some are good & some are bad ! Some people on here seem to need to be led by the hand. Others, are just looking for a different way of doing things. I,ve been on here for awhile, & seen a little of everything. Overall, I don't think we could find a better forum. We just have to "use our brains" a little & sort through some of the junk . Good Luck !!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

Free advice ... worth every penny.

Most times, people seeking advice want nothing more than confirmation of their own decisions ... they aren't really looking for alternatives to what they are planning to do.
So if it is free and you tell them what they want to hear, then it's good advice if I am understanding you correctly...

Bob
Old 06-24-2013, 06:16 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: sensei

How does one know if their getting good advice from who they are listening too in these forums? I for one have never asked for advice since the invent of these type forums, but I have and do give it at times. Here on RCU much advice given is met with opposition of some sorts; making it very confusing for the unknowing at best. So lets hear it folks, what would your advice be to the unknowing about getting sound advice in here?

Bob
You can, um well um hmmmmm... oh, don't listen to me! lol
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Is it any different at the field?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it any different anywhere?  Even the best of advice may not suit another's needs. I believe trial and error is the best advice.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:38 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Bad advise is usually met with confrontation from the majority so it's very rare that it stands unchallenged.

Just stating a "different way to skin a cat" is usually noticeable too and one will have to weigh that advise and choose which method works best for him/her..

I'd say 99% of advice given is excellent here
Old 06-24-2013, 06:46 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I remember some 'bad advice' I got when I started using online forums. I read in a few places that a certain airplane with a certain recommended power system was under powered. I read it so much I believed it a and went astray. I later learned it was all from the same person, at different times and on different forums. Had I not listened to that advice I would have saved a bunch of money and time and aggravation (I also learned a lot and learned what not to do!).

I think over time you learn about people and can figure out whose advice to take. It is important to figure out if they appreciate the same things as you. For example, I would be more open to advice from someone who spends a lot of time flying a few airplanes that are similar to what I fly, than someone with a variety hangar who is happy flying anything as long as they are at the field. Both guys would have good experience and likely a valid point, but the chances are the first guy has experienced whatever it is I am working on at the time.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Is it any different at the field?
At the field you can see for yourself who gets it done in building, fit and finish, flying, and the list goes on, and on; but on line...

Bob
Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If you know enough to look and listen.

Some folks take the first advice when they walk past the gate, which may or may not be correct. Heck we get people that show up from local hobby shops where we hear stories about advice given out that's terrible.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do your own research first and then ask for help. Most if not all advice is opinion driven however there are those that reply with the correct answers.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

In my experience one of the markers of bad advice is that is usually contains words like "best", "only", "must" etc.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM
paero-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Like the State Farm ad says: It's on the internet it must be true!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
sensei

So nobody that has replied so far has stated whether or not they do a little background research on the those posting advice, it would seem that if I were asking for advice in a very specific area of interest as many questions are on here; I would want to know maybe just a little about the one that is advising me before I just ran with it.

Bob
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
toolmaker7341

Correct awnsers $2.00 dumb looks are still free. I go to the manufacturer for tech awnsers. Most advice you get hear plus a $1 will get you a candy bar.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Bad advise is usually met with confrontation from the majority so it's very rare that it stands unchallenged.

Just stating a "different way to skin a cat" is usually noticeable too and one will have to weigh that advise and choose which method works best for him/her..

I'd say 99% of advice given is excellent here
Yeah...via Imgflip Pie Chart Maker Sure it is...
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 PM
STUKA BARRY

ORIGINAL: toolmaker7341

Correct awnsers $2.00 dumb looks are still free. I go to the manufacturer for tech awnsers. Most advice you get hear plus a $1 will get you a candy bar.
You cant even buy a candy bar for a buck anymore, thank God advise is free. I've given out plenty of advice on these forums and sometimes get a PM thanking me for the right advice. This makes me feel good knowing I helped a fellow modeler, now I'm no expert, never claimed to be, but I know what worx for me and 9 out of 10 times it will work for somebody else. Now on the subjects I know I don't know anything about, I keep my pie hole shut. I would never intentionally mislead a modeler.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
thepamster

I had a bunch of questions and needed a lot of advice when I got back into the hobby in 2009 but did not have to ask a single question as they have already been answered numerous times already.
When you use the "search" feature and read your results you can read all the advice and rebuttles you can imagine. Then you can pick up pretty fast on whos' advice is good advice.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I can write an article today about the space shuttle and people will read it and believe it. Of course I know nothing about space.
As my grandmother use to say believe half of what you see and nothing of what you are told.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM
jcpenney

Or as I was told one time in my management career . Fake it till you make it. Bad advise then and still bad advise now.[&:]
Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People ask for free professional advice from me all the time. What irks me is they do the opposite! The 'paying customers' do what I say and are rewarded with the positive outcome. One thing I've noticed on these forums is that the advice that is not acknowledged is most likely determined to be 'bad' by the recipient. Personally, a thank you would be genteel response, even if the recipient would offer that the advice isn't usable, etc.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:24 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ARUP how come your gallery ends in 2010? Have you not built anything since then. By the way that is one of the ways I see whom I care to listen to, but there are a few other as well. COMMON SENCE is a big factor.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I have always been very giving with my knowledge and yes at times I have paid the price for it. My perspective now is that people will beleive what they want to and it is usually the easiest path. R/C aircraft are not always easy, sometimes you need to put the work in to get the results. I think that checking someones RCU profile to determine if they are a good source of information or not is just nonsense. What I find is that the pissing contest usually runs the OP off before he can get their issue resolved. I suppose nothing has really changed. When I worked in the industry I would advise customers and at some times they would come back with an opposing point that they got from a different shop. I guess now it just happens real time LOL. I will always offer sound advise as IMO it does reach people who will follow it and get positive results.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
ssautter

Want advice?

Wherever you go .... there you are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.