Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Require help with Electric Motor - RS-380

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Require help with Electric Motor - RS-380

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:34 AM
denno020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Require help with Electric Motor - RS-380

Hi all,

I've just signed up to this forum in the hope that someone might be able to shed some light on an electric motor that I have.
My great grandparents bought an electric ride on toy for my nephew, but it won't go, so my grandpa asked if I could have a look at it, as I'm generally pretty good with fixing those kinds of things. I've pretty much worked out that it must be the electric motor that is dead, as everything else is getting the correct voltages and working as expected.
I haven't really had many dealings with electric motors, so I don't know how to test if one is dead or not, but seeing as though they don't really cost that much, I'm just going to replace it with a new one, that way I know it will definitely be working, and hopefully be working for a little while longer than if it had an old motor in there.

Anyway, I was wondering what would be an equivalent electric motor, as I can't find the exact same one anywhere that I can easily purchase from.

The electric motor that is in the ride on toy at the moment is a "QG Motor" with the numbers "RS-380". It's also got "6VDC" printed on the side, with "12000/12W", which I assume means 12000 rpm?

I would really like some help in finding an equivalent, if not better, electronic motor, so I can swap it out, and make my grandparents very happy .

Thanks,
Luke
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 AM
topspin

You might find a suitable replacement here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=power+wheels+motors

Most kids ride on toys are 12 volt so check the voltage source. Some of these used 6 or 8 cell NiMh batteries with a 6 volt motor to get a lottle extra go out of them. Here are some other places to check:

http://www.kidswheels.com/Razor/Ride...cts/index2.php

http://www.bigtoysusa.com/replacemen...e-on-toys.aspx

http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/br...ice/index.html

Best of luck and I hope you find a suitable part.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 PM
denno020

Sorry I was flat out with work yesterday, otherwise I would have replied earlier.

I was surprised too when I opened it up to find a 6VDC battery and 6VDC motor, as I thought the same, they all used 12V, however this could be a rather old ride on.

Thanks heaps for those links, they're exactly what I was after. Might just go ahead and buy a whole new gearbox too! Saves me having to grease it back up.

Thanks again,
Luke
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 AM
topspin

I was surprised as well Luke. My 4 year old grandson has a ride on Jeep that is brand new and it uses a sealed 12 volt lead acid battery. It can be quick charged in about 45 minutes and he can ride it continuously for about 15 minutes before it gives out. I'm glad I could help, found all of those sites looking for extra batteries for the little ones ride. I have thought about using Lipos to give it higher capacity but I worry about safety if he were to try and charge it himself.

John.