Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I'm not alone. Am I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:33 AM
rcjunky67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rick hamel
I'd love to watch a show on vacuum bagging exotic materials-not to mention wind tunnel tests of different aircraft configurations--but that's me-the average guy could care less --when Burt Rutan managed to send the Voyager around the world our local news showed it landing and spent 15 seconds explaining what it was -then switched to 15 minutes of local woman's basket ball scores.!!! Just another example as to why -as a nation -we are in trouble!!!! My 2% of the diminishing dollar----if you could get some of the guys from the WWF to beat each other to submission with a composite jet model--you'd draw a crowd-then again -nothing a good public hangin wouldn't produce.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Tutorial style programs. There are a lot of things about this hobby specific to aircraft that could be used to fill a day's worth of time slot's.And that's only our stuff. What about the rest of the RC industry? I still think this could be done , and done well. It just need's someone to get the ball rolling.

And, +1 on the public hangin... I don't see it as being torture or unfair. But I'd bet it would stop a lot of the BS that we as a society have to put up with. Just my opinion. Just to bad that as a once great nation, we have long ago lost the stomach for hard choices and doing what is needed to keep this country great. 'ALL HAIL THE GREATEST GENERATION'... men and woman who understood the cost of sacrifice,and why it was worth it. To all of our armed forces past,present and future, THANK YOU
Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 AM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by jerryjones832
yes chris was killed in a accident and they canceled the show
Sorry, didn't see your post. Thanks. I watched several of his videos. He obviously loved what he was doing. I can see why his fans miss him.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:15 AM
CafeenMan

Originally Posted by rick hamel
I'd love to watch a show on vacuum bagging exotic materials-not to mention wind tunnel tests of different aircraft configurations--but that's me-the average guy could care less --when Burt Rutan managed to send the Voyager around the world our local news showed it landing and spent 15 seconds explaining what it was -then switched to 15 minutes of local woman's basket ball scores.!!! Just another example as to why -as a nation -we are in trouble!!!! My 2% of the diminishing dollar----if you could get some of the guys from the WWF to beat each other to submission with a composite jet model--you'd draw a crowd-then again -nothing a good public hangin wouldn't produce.
Part of the problem is a lot of the folks in our hobby are just really cheap. Even when I was incredibly poor I didn't try to get by on the cheap. I just did less but I did it at the best quality I could.

By getting by on the cheap I see guy who still want more and try to have it by buying more cheap junk. Then they ***** about club dues and everything else that costs money. Then they're surprised when nothing they own works.

I don't like tinkering with my stuff. I want it to just work, you know? I'm not all about having the best flashy stuff. I just want basic quality that I know isn't going to be giving me problems.

If we as a hobby wanted this channel we have enough money to do it. But we as a hobby don't want it badly enough probably.

I don't know exactly how we could contact everyone and ask but if there were a way to do that and say, "This is what we want to do and here's a graph of what it will cost. Just follow the line to see how much it costs depending on how many of us participate. Just let us know if you're definitely willing and we'll tally up the results and tell you where it landed and what the cost is. Then everyone will know and we can go ahead or can it if everyone is willing to pay the price and if more are willing the price will come down more."

I know from this thread a lot of us would love it but I also know from this thread as has been stated multiple times that the interests are widely varied. I have no interest in arfs and foamies. I am interested in anything a person builds. And not just wood model airplanes, but anything from steam engines, to home made glow engines, to marble machines to anything a person can make just about. Not arts and crafts stuff - pumpkin carving and doilies but machining, wood working, model building, gizmos, etc.

Any kind of gizmo that goes into a model - bomb drops, rocket launch mechanisms, stuff I've never even thought of, whatever.

Composite construction, jets, ducted fans. That's all cool to me.

Indoor free flight.

I find those 2 gram glycerin covered jobs fascinating. How they even wind the rubber without them crumbling amazes me. And the scale free flight that they have the guts to launch have my full respect and admiration. Some of those planes are absolute works of art and they just let them loose and hope for the best with no control of them at all. Just because I don't build them doesn't mean I can't learn anything from seeing how they're built.

But I could read Model Aviation for 10 years and not learn as much as I could learn from a guy in his shop in a half hour. And that's just the nature of the magazine. It's just way too spread out. Too many masters.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 PM
rick hamel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's an idea-a local radio station used to invite area record collectors to DJ every Sat night--It was great -you got to hear an exceptional variety of material -some of which no one was aware of had ever been released--you could invite builders to demonstrate how they perform a certain operation(vacuum bagging what ever) just for example--that way you could see what others are doing--there is never just one way or the right way--may be a better way!?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 AM
rcjunky67

Do any of you guy's just watch one channel , all day ,or every time you turn on the tv. And watch nothing but the programming of that one channel? And , what about the channels we all are forced to pay for, but never watch? Me personally, I have about 20 out 79 channels that I never watch. I mean I'd be more than willing to trade all six of the spanish speaking networks that I pay for and can't (won't) watch for just 1 hour a week of anything RC related anytime. Now before any body gets their short wound up tight over that statement, I don't intend it to offend, only to prove a point.

I don't have the time in my life it takes to watch more than about two hours every other night or so, so I sure as heck don't intend to waste it on something that I have no interest in whatsoever . And I'm tired of wearing out the channel buttons and batteries in the remote. It just seem's to me that if some white collar executive type can justify programming most of the absolute crap that is on t.v. now, then why wouldn't this be a viable idea... And it's not like you'd be paying anything extra for it , as I'm sure it could be incorperated into whatever package we're paying for now.

This wouldn't so hard to do for those in the bizz. Shoot, as far as cost are concerned, how many of you have ever wondered , while watching something on the tube, "why did they spend all the money it took to make this turd" So I don't think it has to do with whether or not some guy's are cheap, they would still tune in even if they weren't into what was on at that moment.