Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Reminds me of the old joke:

When I die I want to go quietly in my sleep like my grandfather and not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!
Good one!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

And have the body sit up in the casket?
Something will, just depends on the audience in attendance.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:53 AM
gixer1k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to leave this world the same way I entered it. Kicking, screaming, and covered in blood.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:40 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and near a v@gina ?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:46 PM
acdii

Well, not so much kicking, screaming or bloody, but in what I came out of would be the way to go a grabber while making the beast is the way to go.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:05 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Shoot, when I die, I want them to play pop goes the weasel at my funeral.
And have the body sit up in the casket?
Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

There was a local car dealer here in ton who had the contract to provide all the mail cars for the USPS in Oklahoma and he also leased ambulances (back in the pre-EMT/Paramedic days) to a lot of small town companies most of which were also funeral homes. My buddy Don work as a mechanic for the mail cars and one late winter afternoon he, a salesman known as Jersey Jim, and the "lot man", an old black man who looked to had been with the company since the FDR administration, were sent north to pickup an ambulance and a mail car in need of repair. It was standard procedure for them to take a spare st of keys for each vehicle and to pick them up after hours without bothering the customers. Well Jim drops Don off to pick up the mail car and the proceeded to the next town to pick up the ambulance. The Lot man gets the in the ambulance and they take off in a conga line with the ambulance in the lead toward OKC as the sun sets. Well they are about half way home when Don in the mail car comes over a hill and there sitting in the middle of the road was the ambulance still running, lights on, and the driver's door open with the lot man no where to be seen! Well Jersey Jim shows up and they start searching beside the road and eventually find the lot man hiding in the brush scared half the death and shaking like leaf in a high wind. After the calmed him down so he speak he explained he was going down the road when he looked in the rear-view mirror when someone in the dark slowly sat up in the ambulance! Convinced he was about to be killed e panicked slammed on the brakes and jumped out!

Well it turns out the funeral home had left a body in the back and since they had picked the ambulance up without bothering to tell the funeral home so the body got left in there! The body was waiting for embalming so with the expanding gases inside the body sat up like they are known to do until the gas bleeds out.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 PM
the pope

There was a local car dealer here in ton who had the contract to provide all the mail cars for the USPS in Oklahoma and he also leased ambulances (back in the pre-EMT/Paramedic days) to a lot of small town companies most of which were also funeral homes. My buddy Don work as a mechanic for the mail cars and one late winter afternoon he, a salesman known as Jersey Jim, and the "lot man", an old black man who looked to had been with the company since the FDR administration, were sent north to pickup an ambulance and a mail car in need of repair. It was standard procedure for them to take a spare st of keys for each vehicle and to pick them up after hours without bothering the customers. Well Jim drops Don off to pick up the mail car and the proceeded to the next town to pick up the ambulance. The Lot man gets the in the ambulance and they take off in a conga line with the ambulance in the lead toward OKC as the sun sets. Well they are about half way home when Don in the mail car comes over a hill and there sitting in the middle of the road was the ambulance still running, lights on, and the driver's door open with the lot man no where to be seen! Well Jersey Jim shows up and they start searching beside the road and eventually find the lot man hiding in the brush scared half the death and shaking like leaf in a high wind. After the calmed him down so he speak he explained he was going down the road when he looked in the rear-view mirror when someone in the dark slowly sat up in the ambulance! Convinced he was about to be killed e panicked slammed on the brakes and jumped out!

Well it turns out the funeral home had left a body in the back and since they had picked the ambulance up without bothering to tell the funeral home so the body got left in there! The body was waiting for embalming so with the expanding gases inside the body sat up like they are known to do until the gas bleeds out.
Wheres gas bleed out ?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM
acdii

You really don't want to know, nor be around when it does. Especially if it bleeds out in one big blast.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

Yeah, that can really mess you up a bit!
Old 07-12-2017, 01:13 PM
the pope

p.t.s.d
Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 PM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot, when I die, I want them to play pop goes the weasel at my funeral.
I don't want to consume the real estate needed for burying and I don't want cremation to contribute to global warming so tell em to ship me to the international space station where they can shove me out the door. suits me just fine.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM
acdii

Freeze dry me and prop me up beside the Juke Box ina Country bar, and don't forget to put a s**teating grin on my face before you do.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:14 PM
the pope

For the not so queasy . Speaking of that sh##eating grin that acdcr2d2 was mentioning I thought I might relay a little anecdote . I was working with my bro doing roofing one day . We all know that toilets arent 5 star if at all on a building site . Anywho he's busting to snap one off and as theres no toilets around he finds a cardboard box that had his new work shoes in and proceeds to do his thing . Meanwhile theres a little fox terrier like Old Farts thats been hanging around saying hello . A friendly little fellow . U may guess where this ones going . Were sitting down having a smoko break and the dog comes up and he's got ****e all over his face , the dirty little bugger had been eating it . I dont think Ive ever dry reached in my life before and usually gory stuff doesnt bother me but the look on the dogs face and the smell brought tears to my eye . Needles to say smoko was over and we flew up the ladder in record time . Ever since then when I think of that little dog I get aroused . That little mutt has messed with my head .
Old 07-12-2017, 05:21 PM
acdii

Welp, that explains it, pope got this way by falling off a roof after getting aroused by a dog. SMH, now I think I have heard it all.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:59 AM
the pope

Welp, that explains it, pope got this way by falling off a roof after getting aroused by a dog. SMH, now I think I have heard it all.
Its OK I landed on my head . the big head .
Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

It's gone awfully quiet on this thread. I guess that those of us who live in the northern hemisphere have been too busy flying and those of us who live south of the equator are in the middle of the building season. I've been very busy doing up my new house, and have had no time to service my models, so that I've now only got three models in flying condition, the Stick, the Cardinal and the club's ARTF trainer, however, I took them to our flying filed last Sunday where we had a splendid four-course barbeque!

Of rather more import is the rumour that Traplet have gone into liquidation.Traplet is a British company which prints a large number of hobby magazines. Our interest is represented by "Radio Controlled Model World" or RCMW for short. Historically they are, or were, the second biggest selling model aircraft magazine in Great Britain. The Traplet plans list is quite extensive and if I remember correctly, they've recently bought the much larger plans list from My-Hobby-Store which has plans dating back to the 1940s and even beyond.

If it's true then it's certainly a sign of the times, why pay £15 for a plan when you can download one for free from the internet ands have it printed out for a small fee at Staples? At this stage I don't know whether it's just RCMW which has folded or the entire Traplet group. The link below leads to a post on this topic on RCM&E's website. RCM&E or "Radio Controlled Models and Electronics" is the biggest-selling British aeromodelling magazine.

Traplet | Model Flying
Old 07-20-2017, 12:29 AM
the pope

The mags here in OZ have gone down hill as well with "rcm news " not worth getting any more . If your lucky u get 2 reviews and all they do is tell you what gods gift to rc they are and posting stupid pics of a dummy pilot reading one of there mags or sitting next to a plane . That wore thin 100 issues ago . The other one "airbourne " has whinch in it with his waffle about the evils of castor etc etc etc . Is better but rcm news I swear each edition will be my last .
I like your "rcm&e " out of the 2 and with rcmodel world doing the plans every other month now is a real downer for me . I usually only get them when i like a plan or a review of something Im interested in but they beat the OZ mags hands down , I think .
That brings me to my next point in the may edition of 'rcm&e "that has the " delta 362 " and the " chica " plans in it . My mag came without the chica plan ( a few slipped through like that apparently )but there sending me another one so kudos to them . What problem I have is that the delta plan is missing 2 formers . Not the little ones available to download but R1 and R2 . These run down the middle of the plane , one in the center and the other next to it . Do the pommie mags have these formers in their plan ? If so could someone scan them for me ? Cheers
Old 07-20-2017, 04:11 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

15 years ago, I renewed my Flying Models magazine subscription, which I never received. FM changed. They used to have the best plans list, many plans from the 1950's on. Then they dropped a lot of the older plans, revised the descriptions in their listings and plans catalog, for example describing Nick Ziroli's 40" (1015mm) scale Waco N single channel cabin biplane and others as 4 channel, which they were not. Except for Model Aviation, which comes with membership, that was the last subscription magazine I got. I would occasionally buy others from book stores, including British ones. Not long after, even big name books stores stopped carrying model magazines.

I now get the digital Model Aviation, but I don't do much reading of it. Perhaps this is best as I didn't do much reading of the printed version either, now saving a few trees. Articles I am interested in reading seem to have passed on. At least sites like Hip Pocket Aeronautics and Outerzone have plans that I wouldn't have been able to obtain from the plans services, anyway.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:16 AM
FlyerInOKC

Same here I read a little MA and on rare occasions I buy Flying Scale Models out of the UK.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 AM
acdii

I remember when there were articles that focused on scale builds, and tips for building. Now they are all about ARF, and assembling. Frankly they are more like an advertisement than anything else, so you pay for a magazine filled with ads. I cancelled after one year, just not worth it anymore. I wish I still had the one with the STOL that was so detailed it had full instruments, working cowl flaps, and was just so well built.

Telling ya guys, its a dying art, and when we are gone, that will most likely be the end of it.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Flying Scale Models still includes free plans but a lot of them are small scale electric by Peter Drake.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:07 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

So many things are in flux nowdays one can only marvel at the changes, but the A.M.A. mag. has one of the best issues out at this time. It is a how to do it issue and is full of info. This is the type of magazine I am more interested in.

Arfs are ok but do nothing to the skill set of the users, it makes me laugh to here someone say "I built a arf" and it appears the arf craze is wearing thin because to me it has no substance. nothing can compare with that rush one receives when his workmanship grabs some sky and does or does not perform and requires some form adjustment.

Have you noticed the mags that centered on the arf craze of buy and fly didn't last for long? All they contained was a bunch of ads. But look at the mags. that occasionally put a set of plans or construction articles in them, are still around.
substance that's what keeps mags alive, not a bunch of glitter to buy this or that. In otherwords the mag's have too much concern for the profit they are making from advertisements and not giving the modeler what he needs.

We need things that stimulate our brains, not our wallets.

Last edited by donnyman; 07-20-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 AM
acdii

Well some can argue that the wallet stimulates the brain depending on if it is in the back pocket or not. At least thats what she said.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman

Have you noticed the mags that centered on the arf craze of buy and fly didn't last for long? All they contained was a bunch of ads. But look at the mags. that occasionally put a set of plans or construction articles in them, are still around.
substance that's what keeps mags alive, not a bunch of glitter to buy this or that. In otherwords the mag's have too much concern for the profit they are making from advertisements and not giving the modeler what he needs.

We need things that stimulate our brains, not our wallets.
Donnyman, I have always enjoyed reading your posts but none more than this one, not to mention your closing sentence.....I love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.