Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:19 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Yeah, Donny is the type of guy you would love to have as a neighbor!
Thank you, but I am not so sure about that! I can be a real pain in the ___ sometimes for sure. None the less what you say about hard work is true though now it doesn't seem to have been that hard, just what was necessary to achieve what needed to be done.

For instance, many associates ridiculed the way I was building my home, saying let a homebuilder do it. and they have fine homes probably now paid for. the difference is I never paid a house note because when my home was finished it was paid for and more than twice the size. and real estate. I have been out of debt for the last twenty years. It was not what I did but the way I did it. a little planning went a long way.
Now my son is following in my footsteps.

It saddens me to see friends going off to work and they are older than me, I asked why and was told this stage of life never crossed their minds years ago.

Believe me I am not a affluent (lots of money) Person but I am in a situation where I don't need a lot of money to sustain my way of life. a low overhead is the way to go. my newest vehicle is a 1997 Mercury Cougar a Escalade BMW or masseratti isn't going to take me any further or faster.

I also am aware that what, and the way I have done things isn't any better than anybody else, but my way has served me well and I can say with confidence I AM BLESSED!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Good Day Gentlemen!

Just come back from the flying field. No drama, took the old Rover so could only squeeze a dismantled electric Foam-E WOT 4 into it. However, when I got back there was a post on a British website by some bloke who had three un-started ARTF kits in his attic. What a light-weight! .

It caused me to do an inventory of my own model "collection" and post it onto the American website. Here it is. (Explanatory notes in italics for American readers.)

Years ago I bought a very nice Brian Taylor Harvard (AT6) from an elderly gentleman who lived in Somerset. He said that all enthusiastic aeromodellers were hoarders. Adrian Norris has put up a post asking for advice on the three kits he has in his attic, it caused me to wonder what I'd got in my attic so I went up there and made a list.

Un-started kits
Fokker D VII, Stampe Monitor, Flying Flea, DB SE5, Supra Fly, ARTF Acrowot, ARTF Foam glider of some sort and a French kit called a Baron. Total 8.

Complete airframes awaiting engines and radios
DB Auster, North American Harvard,(AT6) (I have two of these!) DSM Aerostar. (The Dave Smith Models Aerostar was a 1980s pattern ship for ordinary mortals.) Total 4.

Projects or part-complete models
KK Outlaw,( a small British vintage model,) Telemaster 66, Peter Russell STOL, , WOT 4, (I have two of these as well!) Majestic Major, (Large British vintage Model) Double Sized Tomboy,(another British vintage model) Roy Scott BE2e, Mick Reeves 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel. (I was given this model on condition that I finished it!) (9)

So that's twenty-one models in the attic.

Serviceable aircraft
SLEC Fun-Fly, WOT 4XL, St Leonard's Models Gemini, Stick, Junior 60, Senior Telemaster, WOT 4 Mark 3, WOT 4 Foam-E. (8)

Unserviceable aircraft
Roy Scott BE2e

Under construction
Veron Cardinal

That means I have thirty-one models, plus a wing from a Telemaster 40 and wing and a tailplane from a Super Sixty.
Hoarder? Moi?
Guilty as charged!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:40 AM
donnyman

Telemaster

I know a guy that has more of a problem because he has failed To controlling his urge to get what he wants (whatever that is) and can't pass up a good deal so I'll just say you are not alone
Old 10-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I know what you mean Donnyman! Please don't ask me to do an audit of the model aeroplane engines I own!
Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 AM
donnyman

Telemaster sales

I was reading old posts and you had mentioned freezing in your car Post 3058. from that I assumed the vehicle did not have a heater, Am I right? and if not why not?

I bought a new car soon after I got married in 1963 in Phoenix Arizona on the way home I tried to turn on the heater to break the chill in the car but it did not have a heater. I promptly returned to the dealer.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:25 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Donny, the car in question had a very good heater;indeed it had air conditioning. It also had a thermometer on the dashboard which told the driver what the temperature was outside the car. When I pulled into the supermarket on that Christmas Eve it was at freezing point; 0 degrees Centigrade or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

The point of my post 3058 was to say that many immigrants are prepared to work in conditions which our own people would not tolerate. Do you fancy washing cars for a living when it's freezing? Neither do I. I'm no stranger to hard work myself but I'd probably draw the line there.

Picture of my car in the village square with my friend Roger Aubard, the best pilot in our club.

Must get on with some work!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	M Roger Aubard.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	2187407  
Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The Rover looks like it makes a great plane hauler.

Donny, I remember when I was a kid in most areas the new cars came with a heater and A/C was optional. I areas like Arizona and Florida all the cars would have A/C if available and the heater was optional. Now days they all come with both.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:14 AM
donnyman

I have a better understanding now, I did see your point on immigrants, And it is quickly forgotten here by many of the fine work many of them do. That is a nice looking vehicle in your pic.

Have you noticed in the beginning of the clubhouse section the thread titled "I ran rcu" this thread is mentioned and many suggestios are made of several subjects. The point of view of many is interesting as to how things should be accomplished here,

I must confess at being surprised at the impact a thread can have, especially as to where it is placed. If this thread had the negative impact mentioned It is good to have been moved. To me it seems better here!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Its easy to forget the time when the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Except in my case its always the foo was on the other shoot. Personally I have no problem with immigrants as long as A. they come here legally, and B. learn our language. Telemaster is right though, they are hard workers and do jobs us uppity folks don't want to do. They work long hard days for little pay, but their family values are also very tight, and they use that money for the family and not themselves.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:21 AM
Jlem
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I was born in 55 so I am 61 yrs young now. Grew up with my dad heavy into RC but also into control line and free flight a bit. I remember watching dad with his big box radio sitting on the ground and a cord up to the hand held unit. Tubes and stuff. they called them Galloping Gosts... because the control surfaces moved from side to side and up and down all the time. when you inputted up control the surface would still be pulsating but mostly in the up position. some of the radios did not even have a stick but a button.... 1 press for up, 2 presses for Left 3 presses for right and so on. try doing a coordinated turn with that. lol. I can not even remember what my first build was... think it was a Gallows Bi-plane though. Tissue and dope for sure.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:27 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Back in the early 1970's, I worked on 2 poultry farms after high school for a couple years. Earned $1.25/hr at one and $1.40 at the other. I learned to pick eggs fast without breakage, did my share of shovelling chicken manure plus take care of brooders. Which reminds me, I have found memories of those farms and shovelling especially during the most recent televised political debates.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:41 AM
acdii

Yeah, it was pretty deep wasn't it. I have a field of it by my barn myself from all the horses. Not sure which stinks more.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:02 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure!!! Chickens!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Back in the early 1970's, I ..., did my share of shovelling chicken manure ....
Back in the 60's one of my engineering projects was a chicken s**t drier. A big mesh drum that you filled with the CS and then blew hot air through it to dry as the drum rotated. The drum was tilted so that the fresh CS went in one end and the dried CS out the other. I don't know what they did with the dried CS. Leads to that BS can be used; CS is worth nothing. There is a lot of both in recent politics.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:42 AM
acdii

Makes good fertilizer. Smell like S**t though.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Makes good fertilizer. Smell like S**t though.
But you have to use it sparingly due to the high nitrogen crop. I have seen organic farms where they build the hen coop on a wagon that lets the CS fall out the bottom. They move it around the field to fertilize the crops.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM
acdii

So instead of a coupe deville, its the Coop de Poop
Old 10-24-2016, 11:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

Close! An organic Coop de Poop!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:01 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but only if you leave it on top of the ground, when we spread it we followed with the plows to turn it in then that field was left set for a few days, and some times you still could smell the c/s.
Please quit bringing up those old memories I hated to wash my feet before I could go in the house.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-24-2016, 12:15 PM
acdii

Well, I always laugh when I hear organic, sounds dirty. I heard of an organic corn farm that was less than a mile away from a commercial corn field. They cross pollinated, so now they were GMOrganic.

I also facepalm when someone mentions GMO food. Uh hello, Bueller, GMO was around long before scientists were! LOL The only real difference is that they do it in a lab now in a few months instead of the years it takes out in the field to create new breeds of plants. Besides, if we all were GMO free, we would all look the same. Every food grown today at some point, was not the food it is today, but some form of the food. Corn grown back before the first thanksgiving was nothing like the corn today, and before Monsanto came about, the corn back then was far different than the settlers corn was, it just took much much longer to modify by cross pollination.

For the most part GMO is good, but to modify to grow with applications of specific pesticides, or to have organic pesticides in the food, not such a good idea. After all, if it weren't for GMO, we would have one variety of apple.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:17 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
.... After all, if it weren't for GMO, we would have one variety of apple.
Or just wolves for pets instead of all the designer dogs we have now?
Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 PM
acdii

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Or just wolves for pets instead of all the designer dogs we have now?
That too. I live out on a farm, and we have feral cats. Occasionally a litter of kittens, from two black cats, will produce snowshoe. We have a couple blue eyed snowshoes, and they are great cats, and to think, they were produced in nature from two black cats. We took them in when babies and made them house cats. We have one that looks just like the one in the picture and he is the friendliest and loving cat. 100% Barn cat.

https://www.petcarerx.com/breed-guid...nowshoe-cat/73
Old 10-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

As further evidence of my hoarding tendencies I carried out an inventory of my engines. I also own seven assorted electric motors but I don't count those! .

Diesels:
4 off including 2 off PAWs.

Two Stroke Glows:
5 off Irvines
4 off OS
3 off Enya
2 off Super Tigre
Single specimens of K&B, Merco, Meteor and SC.

Four Stroke Glows:
8 off Laser
7 off OS
3 off Thunder Tiger
3 off HP VT
Single specimens of Enya and Magnum

Total 45

Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232
but only if you leave it on top of the ground, when we spread it we followed with the plows to turn it in then that field was left set for a few days, and some times you still could smell the c/s. Please quit bringing up those old memories I hated to wash my feet before I could go in the house. Cheers Bob T
My apologies for bringing up the political debates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.