Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:07 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Splice it in. There is no structural integrity to lose on those pieces.

How I would do it. Cut two more ribs to match, they dont need to be full ones either, just enough to span. Slice the full rib at a diagonal at the axle, then glue it in, Take the peice you cut and cut it at an opposite diagonal and glue it to the inside for the rib. Done, Secure and stronger than the original.

Last edited by acdii; 10-31-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

That was what I was thinking would be the easiest. S2 is the outside one with the slot. I could cut the slot to go all the way down then add a "U" shaped piece to hold what I cut out and no one would be the wiser after the glue joint is filled and painted.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:15 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a bit late with a reply, but what acgii is the way I would do it, keep up the good work.

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-31-2016, 04:29 PM
acdii

OK Home Depot sux. That's my final answer.

They used to carry rolls of cork, so went there on the way home, which means driving 30 minutes out of my way, only to find they have ZERO cork. I had purchased a 36" by 8' roll of 1/4" or 3/8" cork from them years ago, and was looking for some more to use on my building board. Well that was a waste of time.

So looking at Amazon now, looks like I can get 2' x 3' x 1/4" sheets, a 2 pack for $44 shipped. My only concern is that the sheets are consistent in thickness. I prefer cork over drywall since it is too easy to jar the pins and break the drywall, where cork is more resilient. It also heals itself over time. It is also lighter and I dont have to worry about dropping something and marring the surface.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:07 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the Home Depot web site~~ they might keep the cork in the main warehouse and you could have it drop shipped to your store. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-31-2016, 05:50 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
OK Home Depot sux. That's my final answer.

They used to carry rolls of cork, so went there on the way home, which means driving 30 minutes out of my way, only to find they have ZERO cork. I had purchased a 36" by 8' roll of 1/4" or 3/8" cork from them years ago, and was looking for some more to use on my building board. Well that was a waste of time.

So looking at Amazon now, looks like I can get 2' x 3' x 1/4" sheets, a 2 pack for $44 shipped. My only concern is that the sheets are consistent in thickness. I prefer cork over drywall since it is too easy to jar the pins and break the drywall, where cork is more resilient. It also heals itself over time. It is also lighter and I dont have to worry about dropping something and marring the surface.
Look at Micheals or Hobby Lobby craft stores. I have seen rolls of cork there but have not used any. The older ceiling tile was very good and more fibrous than the chalky type now used. Also there was a 4 foot by 8 foot building material that was good for building upon, but I forget the name (maybe Celotex?). Or Homasite(SP)?

Last edited by spaceworm; 10-31-2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added "Or Homasite(SP)?"
Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Spaceworm, I believe you are referring to Homasote. It is a compressed paper product used for sound deadening, model railroad layouts, and RC aircraft building boards, the last two of which I have personal experience. I don't know if Homey's Depot sells it or not, but Menard's (at least here in Lincoln) has it in 2 x 4 foot pieces. My building board is a hollow core door topped with Homasote, and my model railroad layout is 3/8" plywood with 2" extruded foam and 1/2" Homasote. It takes pins, thumbtacks and track nails very well and holds the securely, yet they are easy to remove when needed. I really like the stuff.
DO NOT CUT IT WITH POWER TOOLS UNLESS YOU ARE OUTSIDE WEARING A GOOD RESPIRATOR!!! A dust mask will NOT protect you! You do not want the dust caused by cutting with power tools to get into your lungs. You will never get it back out again. The best way to cut it is to make repeated passes with a sharp razor knife.Use a straight edge to guide your cuts. Once you learn how to work with it, it's great stuff!
Old 11-01-2016, 06:08 AM
acdii

I have a Homasote board, but its too small and getting a full sheet is a bit tricky now that I put my trailer in storage. That darn 5.5' bed in my truck and 8' sheets does not get along, which is why I was looking for cork. I used drywall too, but it is too easy to mar up and make an uneven surface.

I started on the B-25 last night, looks like other than the stab and outer wing panels I wont need to pin anything down, so I might be able to use my tile board for those after all. The center section is weighted down in place using the nacelles bottom pieces. The fuse is built on a crutch, and that can be built using weights, then it gets transferred to a jig. Now I just need to find plastic to cover the plans with.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Dave

I am with you on both counts. The Outerzone will be getting all the plans I can send them, because they need to be shared and the zone does it right. being able to see the drawings is of paramount concern to me, and they make it so simple.

As far as the AMA is concerned Our feelings are the same I will probably sign up again but..........
This is really good to hear that more people are doing this. I'm doing it as well. I also use Outerzone to download plans. I also make it a habit to send OZ money so that they can continue to keep the lights on. It was a real shame that when RCM folded the plans service decided that they were going to turn into nothing more than a service to rip off people's money. I know that there were many offers made to buy the RCM plans service, myself included. I called them on 2 different occasions and offered to buy the plans service and was flatly turned down. I was told that the people that had their money taken no plans shipped was simply a mistake and they were taking steps to correct that. I told them they were sitting on a gold mine of plans that dates way back in the history of RC and if they weren't going to take care of modelers then they needed to sell to somebody that would. I also know that Model Airplane News and the AMA also tried to get the plans service from them so that they could secure the plans and make them available to everybody.

This is why I am so happy that Outerzone and the long running thread on RC Groups exist to collect these plans and make them available. I was going to start a thread there to start collecting them and possibly start my own website to do this, but why recreate the wheel when there are already 2 other places doing it? So I'm happy to know that these plans are available in these resources. The sad thing is that the younger generation (and I'm still pretty young at 51) will never know the fun of actually building a model. But that's another discussion for another time!!!

Ken
Old 11-04-2016, 10:48 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

KEN

It seems sometimes persons that have a thing without the means /desire or whatever want to hoard what they have and it ends up being either taken away or destroyed when they could have enjoyed a compensation...very frustrating, It has happened to me many times.

The fact OZ is free amazes me especially in these times of ME, ME, ME. My problem is the cost of sending them digital copies.
The plans for this should be preserved. The designer has passed and his family seems dis-interested, digitizing may zap my pocket. I have several more and will have to look into the cost. I have copied some for others but it runs close to $80.

The A.M.A. and M.A.N magazines have run construction plans for free Which gives me hope that it will stir interest in the building side of this hobby, only the future will tell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bdog & me.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2188900  
Old 11-04-2016, 11:02 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by donnyman
KEN

It seems sometimes persons that have a thing without the means /desire or whatever want to hoard what they have and it ends up being either taken away or destroyed when they could have enjoyed a compensation...very frustrating, It has happened to me many times.

The fact OZ is free amazes me especially in these times of ME, ME, ME. My problem is the cost of sending them digital copies.
The plans for this should be preserved. The designer has passed and his family seems dis-interested, digitizing may zap my pocket. I have several more and will have to look into the cost. I have copied some for others but it runs close to $80.

The A.M.A. and M.A.N magazines have run construction plans for free Which gives me hope that it will stir interest in the building side of this hobby, only the future will tell.
Donnyman,

I know exactly what you mean, and I feel your pain. I've been doing IT work for 20 years now professionally and I am totally burned out on it. That's partially because I was doing computers for 20 years before that, so I have 40 years of computers total, so I am so burned out on working on computers. I am looking at starting up a laser engraving/cutting business and one of the things that I would like to do on the side is kit cutting. As part of that I want to be able to print plans for any kit that is sold. But I've also been mulling over having the ability of scanning plans that big too. I'm not there, and I'm not making any promises yet as I'm still only in the planning phases. But if I do go get those resources I would be more than happy to digitize plans for free for anybody that would send them to me. I would do it as a service in order to save plans for posterity.

And I've already had to promise my wife that kit cutting IS NOT going to be my main focus of this business. It's only a side benefit of having a laser cutter!!! Laser engraving will be the main focus of the business.

Ken
Old 11-04-2016, 11:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Donny, if you put a saddle on that thing I think you ride it into the sky!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:18 AM
acdii

Getting a laser cutter is something I have been wanting to do too. There is one out there that will scan a diagram sketched on wood or other material and then cut it out, while memorizing the design. It is about $8000 when it hits full production. https://glowforge.com/

Up until recently I could not think of a single reason to buy a 3d Printer, but after seeing that it would be useful to make clamps for a magnetic building table, I may look into getting one.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

You could get into a lot trouble with something like that, I like it!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:37 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Getting a laser cutter is something I have been wanting to do too. There is one out there that will scan a diagram sketched on wood or other material and then cut it out, while memorizing the design. It is about $8000 when it hits full production. https://glowforge.com/

Up until recently I could not think of a single reason to buy a 3d Printer, but after seeing that it would be useful to make clamps for a magnetic building table, I may look into getting one.

We're looking at a little more sturdy lasers for full production. Here's the company that we're looking at getting our laser cutter from

Epilog Lasers

We are going down to Dallas later on this month to meet with a rep and for live demos of the product. My wife and I both have friends that run engraving companies that have recommended these lasers. They are made here in the US and are extremely sturdy!!!

You definitely have to get to building on a magnetic building board. I've been building on magnetic building boards for about 15 years now I and I won't build without them. I have 2 boards that are 36"x72" and several smaller boards and I absolutely love them. Once you learn to use them you will never build on anything else again.

Ken
Old 11-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

The storage of plans on an internet site is one thing.

The building of the models depicted thereon is something else.

I feel that once we're gone gentlemen, and I give ourselves no more than twenty years, no-one will build model aircraft.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:58 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

I feel that once we're gone gentlemen, and I give ourselves no more than twenty years, no-one will build model aircraft.

I'm not sure it's that long. I'm 51 myself and I am probably one of the youngest that builds. I know that a lot of the people in my club look at me like I'm crazy. Well, the younger guys do at least.

Ken
Old 11-04-2016, 12:06 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by RCKen
Donnyman, I know exactly what you mean, and I feel your pain. I've been doing IT work for 20 years now professionally and I am totally burned out on it. That's partially because I was doing computers for 20 years before that, so I have 40 years of computers total, so I am so burned out on working on computers.
Ken, I understand what you mean. I did computers initially, too. Here I am with an engineering degree and about 10 years experience doing process control programming down to the systems level for aerospace, even did assembly for high speed bursts of data and writing task traps. The French horn player in the part time band I was with (I played sax) only had a 2 year degree, 4 years experience with Oracle and was getting $10k/yr more than me. I thought, "Something's wrong with the picture." At the downturn of aerospace early 1990's, I moved over to facilities management and construction project administration. Have not regretted that. At the time they were saying, "anyone who worked for McDonnell Douglas Structural Test Laboratories didn't have a family life." I can attest to that.

Good luck on your new endeavours.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:00 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Ken, I understand what you mean. I did computers initially, too. Here I am with an engineering degree and about 10 years experience doing process control programming down to the systems level for aerospace, even did assembly for high speed bursts of data and writing task traps. The French horn player in the part time band I was with (I played sax) only had a 2 year degree, 4 years experience with Oracle and was getting $10k/yr more than me. I thought, "Something's wrong with the picture." At the downturn of aerospace early 1990's, I moved over to facilities management and construction project administration. Have not regretted that. At the time they were saying, "anyone who worked for McDonnell Douglas Structural Test Laboratories didn't have a family life." I can attest to that.

Good luck on your new endeavours.
I work at the very meat end of the IT field. I own a computer shop and do IT work of the general public and for small businesses that can't afford full time IT staff. And I am getting so sick of being the go between of the public that doesn't know any better and the IT industry that is just ripping everybody off. It get's to the point sometimes where I just want to take an ice pick and shove it in my temple out of frustration!!!!!

Ken
Old 11-04-2016, 01:04 PM
acdii

Yep, that one I was looking at is a hobby based laser, not one meant for heavy production, I just thought that with it being able to cut off what it sees, it would be great for making kits with, you copy the part off the plan, slap the copy on a sheet of wood and stick it in the machine and let it rip. Since the top end one has unlimited bed length, it would be ideal for 12 x 48 sheets since its up to 24" wide. Main reason, my friend who has the real B-17 wants to build an 1/8th scale E model, and this laser would let him cut most of the fuse formers out of one sheet instead of half pieces.

Myself I have been in computers since 1983, with my first being a Timex Sinclair 1600 doing basic programming, and then 84-88 programming Strippit turret punch presses on an NEC. Got into ISP in 98 and have been in it ever since. I work on the networking side, not computers, I hate dealing with computers. Routers, switches, firewalls, are my specialty now.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:22 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Myself I have been in computers since 1983, with my first being a Timex Sinclair 1600 doing basic programming, and then 84-88 programming Strippit turret punch presses on an NEC. Got into ISP in 98 and have been in it ever since. I work on the networking side, not computers, I hate dealing with computers. Routers, switches, firewalls, are my specialty now.
I started my experiences in computers back in the late 70's with the Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1. Had a tape drive and 4k of memory. When I moved up to an Apple II with 48k of memory I didn't know what I was ever going to do with all that memory!!!!!!! ;-)
Old 11-04-2016, 03:36 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Ken, if you do get your kit cutting hobby going, let me know. I may have a kit for you to cut.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 PM
FlyerInOKC

I'm still in IT but on the software development side working with Web based applications. My first computer was a IBM PC Jr from their I went to a Frankenstein XT and from there I worked my way up the AMD/Intel lines as they evolved. I'll never for get that first second hand 10 Meg NEC hard drive I bought, I thought man, I'll never run out of space! Six months later I added a 20 Meg Hard Card. My current laoptop has a half a Terabyte hard drive and my DVR for recording my TV shows has a 1 Terabyte drive. If its not for work the only thing I want to do with a computer is cruise airplane related forums and websites, and email.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:59 PM
acdii

Yeah, I had a 386DX with 256MB ram and thought I had it made. Now the PC wont even turn on unless it has 2 GB of ram. I still have my first laptop, a UMAX, running Windows 2000 beta. If I can find the power supply it will boot right up and run perfectly. Hate to see how fast it would get attacked and crash.

On a sad note, it looks like at least 2 guys who were building B-25's mysteriously vanished from the forums before completing their builds, which has me wondering, will I get to finish mine? Usually not logging in in a few years means only one thing. Pushing up daisies.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:21 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Back in 1976, I started with punched cards and the FORTRAN IV language class on the university's IBM 370J mainframe. It would take me about 10 - 20 minutes to wait for a computer output that said I had a syntax error. At the time, they recommended I take PL1, a new programming language. I'm glad I didn't because that language although supposedly superior never really took off. My next several employers all used FORTRAN. The mechanical engineering department gained a Vector MZ Z-80 based 8 bit microcomputer with various software compilers. Since only a few graduate students used it and it was open to all ME's, I bought myself a hard sectored 180kb floppy for $10 in town, now I didn't have to wait for punched cards and outputs.

While in aerospace in the 1980's, I learned IBM's Michael Fagan's method in writing structured coding design. It could be applied to anything from higher level so called structured languages down to elemental languages such as machine language. Thus one didn't need one of these so called software organizer software programs. I suppose now it is a lost art.

My first home computer was the Timex Sinclair 1000, a mild revision of Clive Sinclair's ZX-81. It had the then revolutionary high speed 4 Mhz Zilog Z80A 8 bit microprocessor, with a few 16 bit operations. I even had the 16kb expansion pack, electrical spark etching printer (sparks burned away the silver film on the paper making black dots - we called this printing ) and a compact GE cassette tape recorder for software and data storage and loading. I took Steve Ciarcia's TI 76489 sound chip interface from Byte magazine, and memory mapped it to the 1000's expansion bus, with extension for the 16kb memory. Then I bought an aluminum keyboard case and a surplus new keyboard, handwired it to the 1000's motherboard. An aftermarket source had the 1000's key cap overlays, where I could have keys labeled to the 1000's standard.

2nd was a Radio Shack Color Computer II. I upgraded it to extended Basic with advanced disk operating system (ADOS) through the Sacramento Color Computer Club (they had an EPROM burner) and RAM from 16kb to 64kb (unsoldered, soldered new jumpers and new RAM), added a computer monitor interface so I didn't have to use a TV, a serial to parallel print converter interface. Plus I added my own logic circuit design to the Motorola 6847 video display chip to enable additional text color modes not available through additional switches as is due to Radio Shack's hard wiring. Installed a 2nd floppy to the floppy disk unit, so I had 2 floppy capability.

3rd was a Xerox 820-II with CP/M-80 from the Xerox Surplus Store in the late 1980's. I upgraded it to a business 16/8 by buying their expansion interface. It came with an Intel 8086 16 bit coprocessor for concurrently running 16 bit OS's. Added a nonstandard hard disk by modifying the BIOS, reverse engineering the hard disk format and partitioning software utilities. Then I purchased Xerox's MS-DOS 2.0 generic, 16 Bit CP/M, and a few programming languages like Borland's Turbo Pascal for CP/M-80 and 16 Bit CP/M.

After that, I moved onto the generic IBM compatibles, from 8088, 80286, 80386, and finally the Pentiums. By now probably built over a dozen and a half for myself and friends. Next computer will probably be a laptop. Desktops are just fading away, seems no real advantage to build anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.