Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I have a better idea.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

It would never work it misconstrues age for wisdom, position for ability, and assumes an over simplification of what it takes to govern effectively.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Hi, Zarvan! Welcome to the zoo!

I remember when I was when I was Zarvan's age (many long years ago!) that the normal savings interest rate was 5.25%
I laugh when I get my statement,

Congratulations, you earned .02 in interest!

On the flip side, interest rate as a whole were much higher back then too, so it's a catch 22, higher interest rates for savings, but also higher interest rates for buying. That's fine if you want to earn on savings, but if you are looking for a car or house, you will pay more in interest than you can earn on savings, not much different than it is now.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I wonder if anyone payed any attention to the article you posted?
This is not the right forum for these type discussions and as such I have removed my answer to question just now.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 11-10-2017 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate reply.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

At least Horizon Hobbies in Illinois managed to repair my transmitter and send it back to Europe within two days, so not everybody in the USA is incompetent. Thanks Rick.

Having said that it's Horizon Hobbies incompetence in Europe that affects me. The senior management there apparently cannot organise a party in a brewery as we say in England...only we don't use the word "party."

Brief resume of my experience with Horizon Hobbies.
  1. My DX9 ceased to function in August and was delivered to Horizon Hobbies in Barsbuttel, Germany for repair on 21st August. (Signed for delivery.) Barsbuttel is the sole agency approved by Horizon Hobbies for the repair of Spektrum equipment in Europe. The agencies in France and Great Britain were closed down earlier in the year. I had previously recieved prompt and efficient service from the British branch when the throttle trim on my DX6i failed.
  2. On 29th September, more than five weeks after it had been delivered, I recieved an email from Barsbuttel stating that they had sent my transmitter to the American office in Champaign, Illinois. In the interim I had sent Barsbuttel several emails asking for information about my transmitter. Their email of 29th September was their sole response up to that date. I'd also tried phoning them, even left them messages in my rusty German, but again, no response.
  3. The transmitter arrived in the USA on 4th October and was repaired within two days. It required four hours labour, a new aerial cover and rear slider and a loose connector was reseated and secured. The Airware/Audio files were updated and the transmitter was tested for all functions and found to be working correctly. Thanks Rick!
  4. The transmitter was posted back to Barsbuttel on 6th October and an attempt was made to deliver it to my old address on 30th October.
  5. Between sending the transmitter to Germany and receiving it back I had moved house! I did not expect them to take so long to repair my transmitter so I did not think of giving them my current address. The Americans were able to repair my transmitter in a couple of days. Why not the Germans? As stated above with the help of a friend I was able to redirect the parcel.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

On a more serious note 11th November is a public holiday here in France. Armistice Day, 11th November, marks the end of the First World War in which the French lost 1.4 million men. At eleven o'clock, the time when the guns finally fell silent in 1918, we hold a ceremony at the village war memorial where the mayor and the local children place wreaths on the memorial, the National Anthem is played and the names of the local men killed in the Great War and all subsequent wars are read out. After each name everybody says, "Mort Pour La France." This process will take some time as there are over seventy names on that memorial.

This year I have been given permission to place a wreath from the British Community on the memorial, "A Nos Allies." I have been asked to give a brief speech in French. My French is not bad but it's not perfect and with the help of the secretary of my club we got something written down for me to read out.

Whatever our problems gentlemen, they pale into insignificance compared with those of previous generations.

I must go and press my suit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nine Soldiers of the Great War..JPG
Views:	25
Size:	621.7 KB
ID:	2244387  
Old 11-11-2017, 05:42 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

The poster.......................... zarvan............................... has been banned on rc groups as a troll! I don't have anymore info other than that but for me that's enough.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:59 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Shame, I thought that his generation might have learned something from my previous post. On the other hand I may not have listened to older people when I was young and his generation is too young to be influential.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:07 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
On a more serious note 11th November is a public holiday here in France. Armistice Day, 11th November, marks the end of the First World War in which the French lost 1.4 million men. At eleven o'clock, the time when the guns finally fell silent in 1918, we hold a ceremony at the village war memorial where the mayor and the local children place wreaths on the memorial, the National Anthem is played and the names of the local men killed in the Great War and all subsequent wars are read out. After each name everybody says, "Mort Pour La France." This process will take some time as there are over seventy names on that memorial.

This year I have been given permission to place a wreath from the British Community on the memorial, "A Nos Allies." I have been asked to give a brief speech in French. My French is not bad but it's not perfect and with the help of the secretary of my club we got something written down for me to read out.

Whatever our problems gentlemen, they pale into insignificance compared with those of previous generations.

I must go and press my suit.
It is Veterans Day here in the States, unfortunately, it is treated as a holiday rather than a remembrance. OOH a day off! Just another nail in the coffin of the history books. Why people are surprised about the hiding away of our history when they tear down Civil War statues and try to erase it from history is beyond me. I remember in all my years in school, not once was the the Great War covered, we never made it past the Civil War and some of that was glossed over as well. It wasn't until a few years ago that I found out how the Great War came to be, and that was through the History Channel. Never knew the Kaiser was related to the Kings of England and France.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:27 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Click image for larger version

Name:	combined-poppies-800.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2244528
by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Let us never forget.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

[QUOTE=acdii;12382857..... Never knew the Kaiser was related to the Kings of England and France.[/QUOTE]

Good points acdii but I think you mean England and Russia. The Kaiser of Germany, the Czar of Russia and the King of England were cousins. France was a republic at the time and had been since 1848.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:01 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by acdii
It is Veterans Day here in the States, unfortunately, it is treated as a holiday rather than a remembrance. OOH a day off! Just another nail in the coffin of the history books. Why people are surprised about the hiding away of our history when they tear down Civil War statues and try to erase it from history is beyond me.
We are seeing things in our lifetime that are eye openers, which we have little control over, such as the deplorable condition of our education system, breakdown of the family, and as you point out, the desire to eradicate the past truth for the sake of a foreign ideology, which all are foundational in sustaining culture. We can still do what is right in our hearts, regardless.

Originally Posted by New Heart English Bible, Psalms Chapter 15:1-5
A Psalm by David.

LORD, who shall dwell in your sanctuary?
Who shall live on your holy hill?
He who walks blamelessly does what is right, and speaks truth in his heart;
He who doesn't slander with his tongue, nor does evil to his friend, nor casts slurs against his fellow man;
In whose eyes a vile man is despised, but who honors those who fear the LORD;
he who keeps an oath even when it hurts, and doesn't change;
he who doesn't lend out his money for usury, nor take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things shall never be shaken.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:53 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=Telemaster Sales UK;12381594] I'm glad I'm not young anymore.

My sentiments exactly.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:34 PM
acdii

Good points acdii but I think you mean England and Russia. The Kaiser of Germany, the Czar of Russia and the King of England were cousins. France was a republic at the time and had been since 1848.
OOps, thats right, been a while since I saw it and you know how the old mind gets. What were we talking about?
Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Regarding incompetence, this article hits the nail on the head. https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...-incompetence/
I have to agree with this article, But it does not leave room for those who are not incompetent, (mostly flat statements) many of those mentioned are not lacking, Our media makes it seem so by permitting blanket statements. this nation has many problems, more than we need but we also have extremely intelligent and honest people that I pray will make themselves known in the future, meanwhile we the people should take the time to assure what is said is the truth, and not a diversion from it, which seems to be prevelent now days ................just cause they said it, don't make it so! don't let them lead you around by your nose.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:24 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
I have to agree with this article, But it does not leave room for those who are not incompetent, (mostly flat statements) many of those mentioned are not lacking, Our media makes it seem so by permitting blanket statements. this nation has many problems, more than we need but we also have extremely intelligent and honest people that I pray will make themselves known in the future, meanwhile we the people should take the time to assure what is said is the truth, and not a diversion from it, which seems to be prevalent now days ................just cause they said it, don't make it so! don't let them lead you around by your nose.
I think like in all things read, we place it in our mental computers and put it into perspective. One thing I've noticed is that our so called education has become nationalized over the past 40 years. In doing so, the states and local communities had prior greater control. Emphasis was less on college preparatory and on educating people for life as adults. Gone are the high school shops and fine arts. These are necessary to help young people to discover their talents and pursue them.

Gone are parents who felt a need in the community and met them. We expect the government to do everything. I remember in the past hearing of boxing clubs, parents involved in hobby interests, helping the neighborhood children keep out of trouble. Those are gone.

The early churches that were responsible to making medicine available to the common man through the early hospital systems are now all taken over by people who no longer share the vision of affordable and helpful care, replaced with focus on profits, even urging that we ought to kill off the elderly by pulling the plug on them. Can't afford health care? Let's euthanize them. If you think about it, can't the system buffer and have provision to care for such people? Are we truly going to bankrupt the system when we give out billions of dollars to other nations as free tribute, when we ought to be caring for our own?

We've taken a downhill slide, and it has been ongoing for the past 100 years.

1% of the world's population owns 90% of the wealth on the earth. Instead of building bigger store houses, how many are really truly charitable? Yes, they may design their own philanthropy, but similar to organized crime, most are laundering organizations to avoid taxes, IMO. We really do live in a crooked world, and as in the days of Noah, we are approaching such lack of concern for humanity overall that we face the brink of judgment.

Originally Posted by Matthew 24:37-46 NHEB
"As the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ship, and they did not know until the flood came, and took them all away, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. [....] Watch therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord comes. [....] Therefore also be ready, for in an hour that you do not expect, the Son of Man will come. "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord has set over his household, to give them their food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his lord finds doing so when he comes.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

...We've taken a downhill slide, and it has been ongoing for the past 100 years...

Oh come on. The Twentieth Century was the American Century!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 AM
FlyerInOKC

Countries see peaks and valleys of influence and power, each having their own time in the sun. The USA is no different. The percentage of GDP we devote to the military will not be sustainable. It didn't work for other countries likewise the USA will be no exception. If you look at history, countries that devote the lion-share of their wealth and power to the military/conquest are doomed to fail and in most cases leave little physical evidence they existed. The ancient civilizations who leave a long lasting imprint behind do so for what they built, the knowledge they developed, and their arts. Look at the Assyrians, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, and the Spartans as examples.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM
acdii

The term too big to fail comes to mind. Rome is a good example. They grew so big, they became unmanageable and eventually fell. The USSR is another example, they tried to keep up with Reagan, and that is what eventually brought them down. We used technology to out muscle them militarily, and they spent themselves out of existence. We no longer have adversaries of that scale, so our military doesn't need what they are getting, however, on the flip side, you don't want it to go stagnant like we were after WWI. When Hitler attacked Poland, the US had no military, we were training with sticks and plywood cut outs. What we did have though was a huge manufacturing base, which we no longer have today, that was able to spin up quickly and provide the tools of war that was needed.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

Oh come on. The Twentieth Century was the American Century!
We've been declining morally for the past 100 years. That is what I am speaking of. Overall, the US has lost its saltiness.

Originally Posted by acdii
What we did have though was a huge manufacturing base, which we no longer have today, that was able to spin up quickly and provide the tools of war that was needed.
The US was isolated from the rest of the world by two oceans. We could manufacture without fear of having the daylights bombed out of us. It is getting to the point where we are introducing weapons purchased from other countries. No longer do we have systems that all components are manufactured exclusively in US.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

100 years ago half the US population didn't have the vote and a significant section of American society were discouraged from voting until the 1960s.

As for the manufacturing base, it's gone to where even skilled labour is cheaper. Super Tigre engines is just one examnple. I can't see how Mr Trump can reverse this. Perhaps someone could enlightern me.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:42 PM
FlyerInOKC

100 years ago half the US population didn't have the vote and a significant section of American society were discouraged from voting until the 1960s.

As for the manufacturing base, it's gone to where even skilled labour is cheaper. Super Tigre engines is just one example. I can't see how Mr Trump can reverse this. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.
It's like his vow to save the coal industry. You can't save the coal industry when natural gas is so much cheaper to buy, is less expensive to use, and because it burns cleaner it saves maintenance costs for the operator. He isn't going to risk enraging the oil & gas industry buy interfering with gas production/costs to make coal more competitive.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 11-15-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:28 PM
acdii

As for the manufacturing base, it's gone to where even skilled labour is cheaper. Super Tigre engines is just one examnple. I can't see how Mr Trump can reverse this. Perhaps someone could enlightern me.
He can't, nothing will as the American worker want's more per hour than what is paid elsewhere for the same work. If a $15 MW was put out for a burger flipper, why bust your ass working hard for the same amount? What he can do is make US goods more appealing elsewhere in the world. We allow cheap goods in with low tariffs, while other countries have high tariffs on our goods.

Just think about it when you pick up a cheap piece of plastic somethingorother, look and see made in china on it. How is it possible to have something like this made overseas, shipped here, and still be less expensive than the same thing made here?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

There have always been both good and bad people, no matter where you go. Billy the Kid AKA William H. Bonney died in a shoot out with Pat Garret, July 14, 1881. He killed 8 including 5 policemen. There were still a variety of societal wrongs, just like throughout the world, US is no different. If you look at the gains, yes these were needed, but on the other hand, further was needed to sustain our society, we've lost in other realms which should have not been ignored. See for example, America?s Accelerating Decay National Review

Originally Posted by National Review, April 7, 2015
The steepening decline is evident in the family, in education, in morality, in art. As one who loves America — not only because I am American, but even more so because I know (not believe, know) that the American experiment in forming a decent society has been the most successful in history — I write the following words in sadness: With few exceptions, every aspect of American life is in decline. “Decay” is the word.

The Decline of the Family: Nearly half (48 percent) of American children are born to a mother who is not married. Forty-three percent of American children live without a father in the home. ....

The Decline of Education: Compared with nearly all of American history, the average American school teaches much less about important subjects such as American history, English grammar, literature, music, and art. Instead schools are teaching much more about “social justice,” environmentalism, and sex. ....

The End of Beauty: Just as morality is subjective, so are beauty and excellence. There is no good or bad art or literature. You like Beethoven; I like rap. You like Shakespeare; I like Batman. “Street art” (a.k.a graffiti) is worthy of museum exhibition; paint thrown by an “artist” from atop a ladder onto a canvas is considered high art and fetches over $100 million; and a giant sculpture of a dog with lifted leg u*******g adorns the front of the Orange County Museum of Art in California.
Those were a few highlights. Those interested may read the rest.

I read somewhere that it takes at least a generation to make permanent changes. We've been undergoing a gradual US population counterproductive industrial market job exports for the past 50 years. It will take at least 20 to start undoing and at least another 20 to complete the effect. Clinton's "economics", which he was taking credit for were benefiting from policies from Regan prior to him. We are reaping from Bill's and his successor's policies now.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were talking about low passes a few pages back, so try this one......

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It's been around a while, so man y may have seen it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.