Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I have been taking a great deal of interest in the talks of Professor Mark Blyth on YouTube. Professor Blyth is a Scotsman who is Professor of Political Economy at Brown University. Amongst other points Professor Blyth states that from 1945 to 1980 all Western governments promoted full employment. This was because all of the politicians remembered the Mass Unemployment and the Great Depression of the Twenties and Thirties. Yes, that's right there were high levels of unemployment in Europe in the 1920s. The Wall Street Crash just made matters worse. In creating full employment they were very successful but when you get full employment you get pressure on wages, i.e; employers keep bidding up wages to attract scarce labour and this leads to inflation.

The rich are most adversely affected by inflation, it reduces the value of their holdings. With the election of Thatcher, Reagan and others of a similar political stripe, all this changed. Central banks were expected to contain inflation to low levels and exchange controls were relaxed so that investors could invest in more profitable foreign markets. The jobs followed the money.

I'm pleased that I've been able to have a modest career in government service but even I was affected by privatisation at the end. For "privatisation" read doing the same job for less money, with greater stress and unrealistic targets in order to make profits for shareholders. I don't live that extravagantly and I find that I can manage on my pension in a part of France where the cost of living is low.

I'm glad I'm not young anymore.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Well, there once was a Time when America was Great. Tis no more, China is taking that one over with Manufacturing. Heck we can't even keep phone support in country but have to send it to India. We used to have the strongest manufacturing base in the world, Yamamoto knew this and was against attacking the US in WWII, and he was right. If that same thing were to happen today, we would be speaking Japanese in no time flat.

Kids today are lazy, if they can't do it with a smartphone or a touch pad, they don't want to do it. Company I work for is having a difficult time finding labor for the warehouses because people just don't want to do physical work unless paid a lot for it. And people wonder why we have immigration issues. I fear our country, and many others like it, will soon fail due to the peoples lack of good hard work practices, and the give me give me attitudes. I hope to hell I am raising my kids to not be that way and to understand that if you want something, you have to work hard for it.
I divorced early in my daughters life and raised her myself with lots of interference from mom and grandma - to offset this I did the chores and tried to make my daughter my buddy - play, sports, fishing etc. Now the grandkids are paying the price because they won't do chores, schoolwork is a struggle, they just want to play video games and watch TV or VCR. One grandson expressed an interest in my hobby but only if he has a hand on the transmitter. He won't touch an exacto knife, sanding block, mount a servo, cover a plane or any of the above. What really aggravates me is that if he wants to use a tool - it lays right where he used it and it only finds it's way back to the tool box when I clean shop. What to do??
Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by gmeyers
.... What to do??
Spell in the army?
Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Spell in the army?
No joke, it IS what is needed with today's youth. I am trying to instill a sense of responsibility, work ethic, and pride with my two, however, my wife, love her I do, is 10 years my junior, bless her little heart, and does not have the same ethics as I, and it is reflected in my children as well. There I times I just want to smack them all upside the head. However, as my daughter grows older, some is starting to kick in, and I'm proud to say, BOTH are on the honor roll at school. My son is thinking he want to be an Aeronautical Engineer. That's fine and dandy, but good luck with that. I told him if he really wants to go that route, join the Air Force. I think my daughter may become an artist, she has mad skills.

As for the dude in office, meh, at least it isn't Killary, Trump is transparent, you know what he is, but her, can't trust her with a dead mouse. I am more concerned with the fools in congress, all of them are POS. They are the ones to be concerned with, not wig man.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Spell in the army?
I'm sorry but that way of thinking is also a way of NOT really copping with the problems we have . Giving the problem to the " services " is a BIG cope out and when in I hated taking care of someone else's brats because the parents were either to lazy or had no idea how to raise kid's. They sure knew how to make them tho. Sorry for the rant but a good Willow switch on the butt is really what this country needs . RED. .
Old 11-07-2017, 09:33 AM
acdii

When the kid reaches for the pot of boiling water, you say no. He reaches for it again and you say no. Guess what, he will keep reaching for it until you do something that sticks, like smack that hand. Do that today, and go to jail. Way I look at it, what will hurt more, that smack on the hand, or the second or third degree burns when you turn your back and not there to say no when the kid reaches that pot and pulls it down on top of them? Same goes for spanking. I remember when I was a kid, being home alone for a few hours while the parents were out doing some shopping, or having a dinner alone. I was responsible enough at 11 to be home alone without getting into trouble, but today, you leave a kid alone for 30 minutes and DCFS is at your door threatening to take them away. They have to be 14 YO now to be home alone. My kids are responsible enough that I don't need to worry about them being home 30 minutes after school before an adult gets home, but DCFS doesn't care.

Dayum Hippies, I blame them for the mess we are in.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:31 PM
rmatt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grandson

Unfortunately your grandson is not unique. We live in a different world compared to when we were kids. I agree that the military is a good choice. He WILL put that tool back if he serves.Hard enough to make a living today. Being a college graduate pretty much guarantees you a counter job at McDonalds.The military can prepare him for something that is relevant in this society. Glad I'm old and won't witness whats coming to this country. I wish you good luck.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:16 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The military has enough problems without sending your brat. I spent most of my adult life in the military retired a Msgt. The last year I was crewing out a young 2 striper because he didn't want to do what his NCO told him. When he started crying is when I knew it was time for me to retire. So don't sent your problems the service, it is not the same.

Rich
Old 11-07-2017, 04:23 PM
gmeyers

Spell in the army?
Did a spell -- but in the Navy
Stationed in London, Jolly Old England for two years then stayed after discharge for another year.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Spell in the army?
I was of course being facetious. Apologies for my ironic British sense of humour.

Some youngsters change when they leave home and have to manage everything themselves. I have seen my niece change from someone who spent all of her money on clubbing and shoes into a mature woman who holds down a responsible job in local government. She is also the mother of two adorable little kids and has learned to cook to a very high standard. Her husband, a plumber and central heating fitter, also likes to cook. I'm looking forward to spending Christmas with them!

She still likes buying shoes mind!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:00 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

No joke, it IS what is needed with today's youth. I am trying to instill a sense of responsibility, work ethic, and pride with my two, however, my wife, love her I do, is 10 years my junior, bless her little heart, and does not have the same ethics as I, and it is reflected in my children as well. There I times I just want to smack them all upside the head. However, as my daughter grows older, some is starting to kick in, and I'm proud to say, BOTH are on the honor roll at school. My son is thinking he want to be an Aeronautical Engineer. That's fine and dandy, but good luck with that. I told him if he really wants to go that route, join the Air Force. I think my daughter may become an artist, she has mad skills.

As for the dude in office, meh, at least it isn't Killary, Trump is transparent, you know what he is, but her, can't trust her with a dead mouse. I am more concerned with the fools in congress, all of them are POS. They are the ones to be concerned with, not wig man.
I know I should not do this but I must have missed something...........What did hillary (Killary) do that makes her so bad?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Beats me, all the fuss over her seems to be a smokescreen for something else. She has loss, is not seen as running again in the future, appears to be somewhat retired from politics, and is totally irreverent from a political view. Why keep bringing her up? It seems like desperate men grasping at the thinnest of straws to deflect from their own crimes and misdeeds. Its like they are so desperate have an enemy to demonized but they don't have one so they are trying to manufacture one.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I know I should not do this but I must have missed something...........What did hillary (Killary) do that makes her so bad?
I usually prefer staying out of on-line political commenting, because overall people get riled up and in reality accomplishes nothing. That said, it goes deeper than just her. If the Dems had their selection process work properly as it should instead of stacking the deck, the Bern would have been president instead of the Don. They were focused more on agendas than what is right for the people, that's where the problem lies. Gone is support for the working class. It wasn't that way 50 years ago.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM
acdii

The stigma she and bill carry with them about people mysteriously committing suicide, heart attacks, car wrecks, etc. Latest joke going around is the DNC person. I can't find the post about it, but it was funny.

When It was her vs Obama, I pulled for her, but then when Benghazi came up, and the email server, and all the other shenanigans, she just lost all trust I would have had for her over Trump. In the end, we will all be screwed no matter who is there as Congress is where it all happens, and both parties are so screwed up, that it will all come to a crashing end. At least the economy is going good.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:19 PM
Greybeard1

At least the economy is going good.
Glad you think so. Interest on savings for the average joe is five hundredths of one percent. That's good? Even CD's bring one or one and one half percent.

Rich
Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 AM
donnyman

I agree, Political comments should not be made on line as it is mostly misunderstood or the fervor for ones Party blinds one from the truth. BUT! when I see a comment made with no real reasoning behind it I have to resist making comment.

As to Hillary, in hind site now that the situation is what it is and the truth is A supreme mistake in judgement has been made by the people, are we going to make the same mistake again in 2018? we can plainly see certain leaders crowed for years as to how it should be done and when their turn came up they couldn't even explain what was needed and had no plan what so ever yet they keep getting their jobs back.

Why is it those that were in office when the economy crashed still hold a position of leadership? they are obviously incompetent. I was getting ten percent on my savings account in the 80's until the so called leaders failed us and it seemed we the people didn't even notice ...................................A wake up call is in order, my hope is we the people stand up straight and listen for the pop so we can open our eyes to the truth.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 AM
GallopingGhostler

we can plainly see certain leaders crowed for years as to how it should be done and when their turn came up they couldn't even explain what was needed and had no plan what so ever yet they keep getting their jobs back. Why is it those that were in office when the economy crashed still hold a position of leadership? they are obviously incompetent.
Regarding incompetence, this article hits the nail on the head. https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...-incompetence/
Old 11-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Zarvan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey folks. Sorry for intruding.

I am a 12 year old boy who is an rc addict.

I have a Trex 600 Nitro, Electric Apprentice, Bixler 2 & 3, Electric OV-10 Bronco, Custom P-51 Mustang Nitro, Great Planes Avistar and a Turbine F-16 Falcon.

I would like to admire you people as you folks were the supporters of this wonderful hobby when it was just stating.

Keep it up people.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 AM
Greybeard1

Living in Burlington Wisconsin, home of the world famous Burlington Liars club,(Our only claim to fame), I've come to realize the wisdom of the founders of that renown institution when they banned all politicians. The competition is for amateurs. But when I listen to any politician trying to peddle him or herself as the best we have, if that's true, the whole human race is in trouble. They all sound like they got their degrees from an institution for the mentally diabled.

Rich
Old 11-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Welcome Zarvan!

You will probably be able to help us to programme our transmitters!
Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Welcome Zarvan!

You will probably be able to help us to programme our transmitters!
Lord knows we could use the help!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 AM
acdii

I agree, Political comments should not be made on line as it is mostly misunderstood or the fervor for ones Party blinds one from the truth. BUT! when I see a comment made with no real reasoning behind it I have to resist making comment.

As to Hillary, in hind site now that the situation is what it is and the truth is A supreme mistake in judgement has been made by the people, are we going to make the same mistake again in 2018? we can plainly see certain leaders crowed for years as to how it should be done and when their turn came up they couldn't even explain what was needed and had no plan what so ever yet they keep getting their jobs back.

Why is it those that were in office when the economy crashed still hold a position of leadership? they are obviously incompetent. I was getting ten percent on my savings account in the 80's until the so called leaders failed us and it seemed we the people didn't even notice ...................................A wake up call is in order, my hope is we the people stand up straight and listen for the pop so we can open our eyes to the truth.
Agreed! All for term limits. Congress was never meant to be a full time job! With the way the government is now, the Constitution will be extremely difficult to enforce when the SHTF. Hard to use the Second Amendment when the military has more firepower and is under Government control.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:33 AM
GallopingGhostler

Agreed! All for term limits. Congress was never meant to be a full time job! With the way the government is now, the Constitution will be extremely difficult to enforce when the SHTF. Hard to use the Second Amendment when the military has more firepower and is under Government control.
Definitely, no more than 8 years max and no retirement benefits, should be for the honor of serving.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 PM
donnyman

Gentlemen you must be careful!..your comments are making too much sense, you will confuse someone. lets's see, what would happen if the politicians did not serve more than eight years and did not get lifetime retirement, just social security benefits the same as everyone? and could not become lobbiest for ten years after leaving office, And, we dump the delegate system and only the popular vote got you into office?..........a certain twitterer would not be in power this day! It provides a Far too easy way of manipulating the vote.

Mister ZARVAN
You are welcome and like telemaster said we could use some help with these new transmitters.

G. Ghostler
I wonder if anyone payed any attention to the article you posted? It is a shame when the truth depresses you...............https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...-incompetence/
Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi, Zarvan! Welcome to the zoo!

I remember when I was when I was Zarvan's age (many long years ago!) that the normal savings interest rate was 5.25%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.