Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New scammer/ maureen45

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 PM
61impalaron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New scammer/ maureen45

This person just tried to buy my Revo. Here is her last message.
Awesome...Thanks for your quick reply.Am glad it's available.I'm going on a business trip but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 2-3 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. I'll pay by Money Order or certified cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your info.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm glad you posted this. They have responded to 2 of my 3 ads. I'm also seeing them respond to multiple listings as well. They just joined today.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:52 PM
61impalaron

Yeah, I know. They tried on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago on a PA system. I went and made them send me a cashiers check for $2000. Still have it. These people must think we're idiots!
Old 07-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Bmr4life

They contacted me on my one ad as well. How do we report them to have the account removed?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:18 PM
61impalaron

I don't know right off hand. Was hoping maybe a administrator would monitor these threads and see it. I looked but couldn't figure it out.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Mpizpilot

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a thread in the marketplace suggestion forum, but I wish there was an email contact. I just hope no one falls for it.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 PM
61impalaron

Yeah me too! Should never take a money order or cashier's check. PayPal or nothing for me. I check for a " contact us" but couldn't find one.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:01 PM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

This person replied to one of my ads as well with "reply directly with your final asking price". I also noticed many other ads this member responded to with the same statement.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:06 PM
MTIPilot

Also noticed the location of maureen45 just says CA with no town/city. Beware!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:15 PM
61impalaron

You would think they would come up with different statements! The last one that tried this on me, I googled and found their name on a national scammers list. Using the exact same line.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM
MTIPilot

Hopefully RCU will suspend this member. I guess for now just block him/her/it out.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:25 PM
61impalaron

Yep!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:34 AM
yellowbird911

They responded to me also. Told them to piss off and that RCU was aware of them so find someplace else to scam.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:40 AM
61impalaron

Good one, I told em to go screw themselves and I let the FBI know about them. To funny!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what it said to me Awesome...Thanks for your quick reply.Am glad it's available.I'm going on a business trip but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 2-3 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. I'll pay by Money Order or certified cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your info.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 AM
61impalaron

Somebody needs to stop these people. Somehow I'm going to get ahold of RCUniverse!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:05 AM
ocrcdude
My Feedback: (179)

Yea momara911@gmail contacted me yesterday. Told them to make the offer though RCU. No offer no sale. Glad I checked here. Good job guys. Keep the scammers OUT!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 AM
61impalaron

Man I heard that! Its getting around this morning. There's like 3 threads on this, this morning.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 AM
ocrcdude
My Feedback: (179)

They went by [email protected] on my ads. But used the same name Maureen. Oh well, just keep sharp guys! Thanks for posting this.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:16 AM
bradbranch
My Feedback: (25)

Credit card are stored on this site!,, do not give you address and phone number

I thinks this is BOT generated because I received 2 email with the same wording for a different item
remember some of us have credit card stored here

Last edited by bradbranch; 07-09-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:31 AM
macanaw
My Feedback: (30)

This maureen45 moron is trying to scam me to. I hate these people.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:44 AM
moparbarn

A couple of questions. First, let me say that I have not bought or sold anything here on RCU ( I have on IW & JRCBD, a LOT!). I also AM NOT "taking sides" here.

I do not/will never use PayPal or a debit/credit card (don't even have either). I have had numerous issues with both PayPal & my cards getting hacked at 2 different banks. My $ does not go by computer!!!! I only pay by USPS m.o., so I would need an address to mail it to. The responses I see posted don't make me jump up & scream scam??? If they want to mail payment, then you wait to receive it, cash it, THEN ship the item. Simple & safe, IMHO...... Address's are in every phone book, certainly not private or secure & available to everyone. So what's the big fear over giving them out? If you believe that a computer based form of payment is so secure, read the newspaper, watch the 6 o'clock news. Lots of "secure" sites & personal info getting stolen every week. If being a stone age anomaly means you don't want my money, I'll give it to someone else. Basically, you're saying you don't trust me & those are fightin' words in my book. That, & if you can't wait 2-3 days for the mail then you are just way too caught up in the instant gratification thing.

The fact that these folks have replied to so many ads so quick tends to make me agree with this thread, don't get me wrong!! But just asking for an address doesn't make it so. Also, if someone accepts my money order & doesn't deliver - it's called mail fraud - a federal crime. You can also contact the police in their town & file charges, I have had to do both & they DO work! Felony charges & jail time seem tomcarry more weight than a BS slap on the wrist from some online site.

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes I think old school values still need to be respected.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of agree with Moparbarn here. Not saying at all that this isn't a scam. The cumbersome wording and offers of extra $$$ are red flags. I've had scammers hit on my ads here with crap just like this.

But, I've sold (and bought) many items on RCU with both PayPal and cashier's check...both as buyer and seller. Frankly, I was the least comfortable when the RCU seller would not take PayPal and insisted on a cashier's check/money order etc. The risk, IMO, was then all mine. I'm sending my money away, bones that are now gone from my account with really no way to get them back, hoping that the seller keeps their end of the deal.

At least with PayPal if the seller never delivered I'd have some recourse. Might be a long shot, but at least it was there. Thankfully to a person everyone I've actually done business with here on RCU has been a man of their word (with the exception of those couple of scammers...but I told them to take a hike, no money changed hands.)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:23 AM
macanaw
My Feedback: (30)

Here ya go. This is a text book scam,

Your payment has been sent but there is something i think i must bring to your notice. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another item was made out in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the payment, deduct your money and send back the Balance to me through western union/money gram. So I can proceed with arrangement for pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this? I will await your response on this so my mind can be at ease.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 AM
superfli
My Feedback: (42)

This scam is an old one. They tried to pull this on me over 9 years ago. They tried to pay twice my asking price. I told them to show up at my door with US dollars in the exact amount of my asking price and I would hand them their airplane. Never heard from them again. If it sounds to good to be true, IT IS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.