Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

how to care for dunked (ie: crashed into the water) airplanes?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

how to care for dunked (ie: crashed into the water) airplanes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 08:02 PM
lagCisco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to care for dunked (ie: crashed into the water) airplanes?

ok so i did it, i got careless and dunked my airplane into a body of water, completely submerged, all wet now

its a 40sized airplane with a 4stroke nitro engine
5 servos, battery receiver, how do i care for this now?

the airplanes in my backyard right now and still wet what should i do to minimize damage if possible?

should i send electronics in for a checkup? what about the engine?

hopefully someone responds so i can minimize damage, thanks in advance!
Old 10-25-2003, 08:20 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: how to care for dunked (ie: crashed into the water) airplanes?

Sorry to hear of your crash. Assuming that the pond was fresh water, remove the engine and rinse it out as best you can with tap water. Dry out the engine as best you can. You might want to remove the back plate of the engine and the head of the engine to dry it out as best you can. If possible, try to get the engine running on a test stand or plane. You will probally need a new glow plug. If you run it, run a tank of fuel through it and then pickle it with after run oil. If you cannot run the engine then fill it up with after run oil and do as best you can to coat the entire engine in oil and prop it over numurous times. Store the engine in a sealed sandwich bag with oil in it. Prop it over at least once a day and you should be okay. Do not use WD 40. If you do not have any after run oil, use gun oil or sewing machine oil and some even use Marvel Mystery oil. As for the radio, box it up and send it in. The servos may be cheaper to replace than repair, however the reciever, battery and switch should all be sent in. Also send in the transmitter and get the whole thing tuned up. Hope this helps and good luck, Dave
Old 10-25-2003, 08:23 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start drying it out! You need to get rid of all the water so it doesn't start to corrode. Compressed air works good. I would rinse the engine with alcohol and dry it throughly. Put some oil or fuel in it or better yet, start it up and let the heat dry it out. The servos should be sealed and are probably OK.

Tom
Old 10-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to try Corrosion-X.

This is a product that is used for full-scale aircraft parts, including electronics that have become immersed in water.

A Google search should allow you to find more info on this product.

Gordon
Old 10-25-2003, 10:34 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with running the engine as soon as you can. Run a tank through it and it should eliminate any water concerns.

The servos, receiver and battery pack may not fair as well. But if you can dry out the receiver and servos you might get away with it.

A friend had his plane tossed into the swimming pool by his bipolar wife. It was there for a number of days, dried out and sat for over a year. I took the aircraft to the field today and did a range test first thing. I was able to walk over 75 feet from the plane, Tx antenna fully collapsed, and the receiver responded without a glitch. The engine on the other hand would only run sporadically, and covered the side of the fuse with a rusty, oily residue.

I would be extremely careful of flying with that equipment unless it's first checked out though.
Dennis-
Old 10-26-2003, 06:43 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bipolar wife?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:09 AM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

LMAO right now....
Old 10-26-2003, 11:31 AM
Deadeye

Bipolar wife?
I think that's just a nice way of saying she is a B$&*%.