Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fly In's

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 02:37 AM
JNohsey
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly In's

Hey, I have an question about flyin's? I have gone to several over the yrs. Most of the ones that I have go to had no landing fee. Now all the aera ones have an 10.00 landing fee. There was one this last weekend about 40 miles from me and no-one out of the club would go because of the 10.00 landing fee. Several of the other flyers said they weren't going to go to someone else feild, pay 10.00 and get to fly 3 or 4 times and pay high prices for concessions.
I went to one here with an 10. landing fee and drinks where an 1.00 and bugers where 3.00. Needless to say they didn't get any of my money for there concessions..

I would like to know what your ideas are on this.

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2002, 03:14 AM
YNOT

Default Fees

Your in the wrong hobby to complain about money.

I have never gone to a fun fly or fly in that did not have a landing fee. $10-20 is the norm. If you don't know, one of the purposes of these events is to raise money for the club. The concessions are another money making venture.

This is supporting other clubs and fields in the area AND a great way to meet other fliers and make new friends.

If you think a 10.00 landing fee is too much, then don't plan on attending the biggest fly-in, in the world, Joe Nall. I think this year it was $35.00 for pre-registration. This includes a fantastic flyn field and a really cool plaque that shows everyone you attended. Worth every single penny.

Support the hobby and spend the ten bucks.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:35 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default Fly In's

Me and some others are putting on a "Internet Fly-In" Anyone who can attend will not have to pay any sort of landing fee. There will be a raffle to try and make some of the money we are spending on food back. If we come out short so be it.
We just want a good turn out and for everyone to have a good time.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:36 AM
JNohsey

Default Fly In's

I'm not complaning about the money. I go to theses here. But I know the ones here would get better turn out with less of an landing fee. I'm an member of 2 differnce clubs and go to others flyin to show support. And your right about the cost, 10.00 is only an couple of props or plugs. I been going to flyin and fun fly's since the late 70's. Most funfly's I 've gone to all had some type of charge, but you have prize's, plages or thropy's . I've seen an declane in the attend of flyers at flyin here and most of what I hear is about the landing fee. I say I going to go any how but most of the time when I do none of the others in this aera go.

And what is 10.00, trip to the show, having an pizza delivery? But they don't see it that way.

I would love to go to Joe Nall, but work and family want let that happen.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:41 AM
JNohsey

Default Fly In's

We had one here in May, had 35 flyers for 4 states, no landing fee. Did have several try to give us money , and we told them we just wanted to have fun, wasn't trying to make any money. Did sell, cokes, bugers, and hot dogs.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:37 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fly In's

So I am kinda curious.. How many of you go to different fields to fly, like if on vacation or away from your local area.. If to attend a fly-in, or just to visit another field in another area...
And have you ever been refused as a visitor to fly at another field..

Robby
Old 08-13-2002, 04:53 AM
WreckRman2
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fly In's

I haven't been to any that have charged a $10+ fee to fly but I have been to several that charge $2-5 to fly. I quess it depends on the size of the event and what you get in return as to whether or not you feel it's worth it. Like YNOT said most clubs host such event's to help make money to improve the club field, etc. and others do it to raise money for charity. It's all done for a reason so next time ask the club who is hosting the event why the fees are what they are and maybe you'll feel better about supporting each event, club, charity, etc...

Like Wayne said we are putting together an "Internet Fly-In" with no fees to fly so come on over and enjoy the weekend with the rest of us guys...
Old 08-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Mike Bell
My Feedback: (6)

Default Fly In's

Originally posted by Robby
So I am kinda curious.. How many of you go to different fields to fly, like if on vacation or away from your local area.. If to attend a fly-in, or just to visit another field in another area...
And have you ever been refused as a visitor to fly at another field..

Robby
My wife and I go somewhere to fly every weekend. The farthest one so far this year is 120 miles but most are less than 50 miles.

Landing fees vary from $0-$20 and I have never felt they are to much.
We try to give the club some of our $$ buying food, pop, raffle tickets and landing fees.
If the LF is really high we buy less food, pop or tickets.

We have never been refused a visit at another field and never expect to be. As a matter of fact we have always been welcomed with a smile and asked to return when we said our goodbyes.

Mike
Old 08-15-2002, 02:03 AM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

Default Fly In's

We're having our fly-in the 17th and 18 of Aug. No landing fee, no camping fee. We have free hotdogs and soda and a free dinner on Saturday evening. This is the largest fly-in in WV. Last year we had 92 pilots and by the phone calls we will have more this year. We get support from local business to pay for the food and the Boy Scouts do the cooking. There is a jar for donations to the boy scouts. They make $700 - $800 over the weekend easy in donations. It's a blast! Come on and fly all you want. AMA required.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:56 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default fly-ins

most of my flying this year has been at fly-ins, I try to make it to all the local ones (about 8 differant fields and clubs in the KC area) to help support them, I to have heard complaints about landing fees and have tried to explain this is what keep some of these clubs going but many people just can't look past the dollar. We do have a few free ones , Gary from Spectrum Hobbies near St Joe Mo. has a very fun Fly-in at a field in Faucett Mo. , he supplies the meat, everything else is Pot Luck from the pilots . I like going to differant fields and looking at all the differant projects and meet up with some of the folks I only see once a year. The fields that don't require much money to keep open don't need a landing fee but some clubs have a very high cost and have plans to improve the facility, this requires money.

If people don't want to help support the clubs then don't go.
But don't whine whent he facility is no longer there.

I am a member of two clubs, one never has fund raising events or any events at all, the only money required is for mowing grass and the yearly charter. the other has a very high overhead and we have at least 3 events per year. contest, fly-in , ansd swap Shop, and we also have local buisness support. I also believe if a club is having a landing fee there should be raffle prizes available , this requires some effort on the part of the club to contact suppliers and such for donations, this tells me the club is willing to work a little for the money .
Old 08-15-2002, 04:24 PM
Roby

Default Fly In's

I try to make as many fly-in's as schedule allows .
Certainly not for the air time,but rather to see what's
going on outside my backyard . After attending several
of these types of events you get to see many of the same
people over and over and you can develop some good
relationships , learn something , and have a good time.

Every event that I can remember has had a landing fee
usually 5 to 10 bucks. Well worth the price !

I have learned allot and met up with some very nice people
over the years.

Every once in a while I'll drive out to their field and fly with
them as a guest,and vice versa

August 24th , me and a long time fly'in buddy are heading
out to a scale fly-in at Hadley Mass. This is a huge event that
is very well run and attended. I will get to mix and fly with
some people I haven't seen for a while and have a real nice day.

I will bring my own sandwich and some drink but only because
I choose to eat other than "dogs /burgers".

At 10 bucks.................it's a bargain.

If anyone reading this is going to Hadley on the 24th
please look me up, I 'd like to meet ya .

Roby Prentiss
Old 08-16-2002, 03:15 PM
bmxbully

Default Fly In's

In our club, the purpose of a Fly-in or Fun-fly is to raise money to keep the club operational. The dues alone do not cover the costs of the charter, mowing, seed, repairs, toilet, and any other unforseen costs. We have done many improvements to the runways to make them as user friendly as possible, including improving the drainage around the pits and flightline to give the pilots easy access to the runways.

The club is not for profit and the money always goes back to the field or prizes at the events. Many of the enthusiastic members take a great deal of time and money to make the club as fun and welcoming as possible. Anyone with AMA membership can fly at the field anytime, no fee necessary. The events give the pilots a chance to shoot the breeze, show off their planes, and win some cool prizes. Those who wish not to participate are not obligated to fly at these events, but can fly, free of charge, any other day of the year. Sometimes there is grumbling about not being able to fly on one of the three days of the year there is a club event, but I don't have much empathy when I go out on the most beautiful flying days to be the only pilot flying for hours.

The events are fund raisers so all the members can continue to enjoy the facilities that are available the one time they decide to come out and fly.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:18 PM
Robby

Default Fly In's

BMXBully
You need to change your nick to BMXNiceGuy.. This is what I was orginally asking.. Oviously most fly-ins have a minor charge and if someone won't pay it then they should get the hell outta Dodge..
But on any given day abiet a week day or a week end day does your field allow visitors to fly thier own planes..
A couple week ago I went to my club first fly-in in ten years on an invite at my local field as I amnot a member of that club .. The event was a club event and they had the field for it for certian times.. Even tho I only got in 60 seconds of flying time it was fun for me..
At the fields I visited last year I was not charges to fly.. Only at one was I refused on the grounds it is a members only field..
If someone visits a place no where near them they oviously do not know anyone to be hosted by at that field.. Each time I did show AMA card and drivers lic to show I was from outta town and they accpeted.. At the one field a guy even offered to let me fly his plane..
With the advent of the internet and things as RCU we now have ways to "know" people in other areas.. For the people who do things as warbirds there are many events which they can meet other people in other areas.. But for 40/60 general use planes it is not as easy..

Robby <happy flyin' >
Old 08-16-2002, 08:14 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Fly In's

There is definitely two schools of thought on this issue. I happen to be one of those that refuse to pay landing fees to fly my airplane. All of the meets here in Florida require a $10.00 to $20.00 fee - on top of the time and expense it takes to get there.
But - I do not complain. I simply do not go. I do all my flying at the local field, and I have some very beautiful models like a 30% Stinson SR-10, 13.5 ft. wingspan - that only the locals have ever seen fly.

Now, I am also a lifetime member of the STARS club in Olean, NY. This is the club that is credited with the birth of giant scale with their famous Bristol Scout squadron 25 years ago. I just returned from their 25th anniversary scale fly-in, and it was a premier event. Now - get this: Ever since their very first meet, no pilot has ever been charged even one penny to fly his airplane. On top of that, every pilot (for the past 25 years) gets $5.00 worth of free meal tickets that either he, his wife, or their kids can spend at the food concessions. Food is very reasonably priced, so the free money goes quite far.

The club makes their money off the spectators. There is a $3.00 parking donation - per car - and most people are glad to pay, for the show of big planes, 150 or so, is awsome. Some refuse, but they are admitted anyway - it is a donation - not an admission
price. (If you sell tickets to get in - those tickets are subject to a state tax., whereas donations are not taxable, and you therefore cannot refuse admission to those that don't want to pay).

All of the clubs in the western NY area, Rochester, Hamburg, Bath, Lockport, Binghamton, to name a few DO NOT charge landing fees. All of these clubs also feed the pilots and their families with a picnic type lunch after the meet closes for the day.

If they can do it in NY and be totally successful, then why can't it be done everywhere? After all, the pilot is the show - and the show can't be put on without the pilot. So I say - if you want your show to really be successful - treat the pilots like the professionals that they are, because we all know that it isn't everybody that can fly an RC model. That's my 2-cents.
Old 08-16-2002, 09:53 PM
RCPilot100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will not Pay

I am a CD - I belong to three clubs - I fly Giant Scale - I just CDd one the club's 13th annual Giant Fly last month - the other two clubs I belong to have events next weekend - one is an electric which I will CD - the other is a Giant I plan on attending. I used to do @ 6 Giants every summer - this year I am only doing my clubs stuff next weekend and one more Giant in Canada in September. No LF at any and I will not go to any that charge one - period.

The one that just completed its 13th annual was one of the first in the area to host a Giant meet - we never had a LF - we made $$ without it - recently we haven't - the purpose all those years was to have fun.

When I go to fly at a Giant meet, it is basically me and three of my good friends. We are all going to the next two Giant meets together. Between the four of us, we end up bringing @ $30,000. in planes and more in support equipement. We spend $$ on lodging and meals. We generally end up being the 'show' that the club is putting on. Last year at the same event in Canada, I lost a Sukhoi at a cost of something like $1,000. due to lousy frequency control and did not receive so much as an apology. OK, Stuff happens. BUT, given the investment the four of us have made and generally end up being the show for the club, it is pretty much known we won't show up if we have to pay for the privilege of doing so. That is just the way we all feel.

Last weekend we wanted to do a tune up so to speak and wring out some new stuff. IT was a gorgeous day, no one else really showed up so we had the field to ourseleves and we flew and flew and flew. No LF - no frequency problems - no BS whatsoever. We sent out for food and had a ball. We can generally do that whenever we feel like it. So, why would we want to drive somewhere - put on a show for someone else - risk our stuff at a unknown field - and have to pay to do it?

Dan
Old 08-16-2002, 10:01 PM
wgeffon

Default Fly In's

Hmm. Maybe they should pay you guys.........
Old 08-17-2002, 12:18 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default Fly-ins

Jim , On the other hand , PART of the reason for fly-ins is to attract new people to the hobby, some clubs offer the show to the public for free to to get them in the door not to mention not all fly-ins are in public areas close to town, SOme of the clubs here in the midwest are in the middle of nowhere , and most of the flys in my area are for all sizes not just large ones. I do agree the way you guys do it is a good option and I am happy it is successful in your area.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Fly In's

Hi David: Appreciate your response. But I must clear up one thing about the STARS meet. From the beginning, it was decided that this meet would always be for "all scales", not just giants. Twenty five years ago, that meant 5% giants, and 95% others. Within five years, it was about a 50/50 mix. Today it is about 90% giants, and 10% others.

We were club #3 when the IMAA was formed - I was at the organizational meeting. However, because the STARS decided that we would "always" welcome "all scales" at our meet, the IMAA got huffy and kicked us out of that organization. They said that we could not fly the smaller planes with their giants. How sad - because it turns out that they are the losers - not us. STARS continue to do well without an IMAA sanction. But what we have found out for sure is - be kind to the small guy - and next year he might bring a giant to your meet. And that gets repeated - year after year.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:51 PM
bmxbully

Default Fly In's

Normally, I gladly pay for fly-ins, to support the host club. Plus, they usually raffle off some great prizes. No one gets rich on these things, and sometimes the club takes it in the shorts.

I wish we had a club that could continue on generosity, alone. Out of a membership of about 60, there are 15 dedicated flyers. Each time something needs to get done, the same 15 guys do it. If the club needs money, it comes from these guys. Guess what, as soon as these guys decide to persue other interests, move, change jobs, or any of a number of outcomes, the club is going to go extinct. I wish it weren't true, but I am seeing less and less generosity, volunteering, etc. Most of the members take for granted that they have a beautiful place to fly that is within 20 minutes of anywhere in the city. I wish money wasn't an object, because I would give anything to keep the club alive, but without support the club will be looking for a new hobby. That's why we have an annual fun fly and fly in; to keep the club alive.

Maybe we could form the Jayhawk Canoe and Golf club, because the lake and golf course are so close to the flying field. Oh crap, it costs $5 to go to the lake every time and $20 to play a round of golf. I guess we will all meet at the local bar for some frosties and drown our sorrows....shoot, beer costs money, too.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:03 PM
RCPilot100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fly In's

BXMBULLY,

You touch on something that has concerned me for quite a while now, "Out of a membership of about 60, there are 15 dedicated flyers". I belong to three clubs at present and I could change the numbers to fit each club but the proportion would be about the same - a few guys doing the majority of the work. Now I don't mean to offend anyone, but it is my perception that we are losing club members due to old age - the avid club members are dying off and not being replaced by younger members - the younger generations are just not into the hobby. One of my clubs just had their 13th Annual Giant fly. It is on the verge of becoming extinct because the guy who started it died three years ago. We keep talking about attracting youngsters - but I don't see it happening now nor 35 years ago when I was the youngster in a C/L club.

Dan
Old 08-19-2002, 11:38 PM
Robby

Default Fly In's

R/C has it share of older people, yes.. As do most hobbies.. Twenty years ago many people knew what HEMI, COBRA,RAT, all meant.. Not so today.. The people who were twenty then, are now, well,, older... The twenty years olds of today are clueless to those terms as they are not common use words now..
R/C seems to have a similar trait.. Lack of exposure ..
And now we are back to the 25% member particapting thing
again.. Lets face it, some people just flat out are not going to do squat!! PERIOD!! So that leaves,, well,, *YOU* , to introduce new/younger into YOUR hobby..
This brings up another point..
What is the incentive for younger people to do R/C?? As many post have shown, WHY in the hell would a newbie
want to subject themselves to some cranking,know-it-all, been around longer than dirt, type... I know I have seen this wayyy too many times at the main field I fly at.. Older guy, no plane present, commanding newbi,<and if it is a younger person,talking down to them>.. Newbie is wondering who in the hell this guy is, and what does he have to show for himself.. So if a long time R/C'r doesn't comes across as inviting, guess what... Newbie is now an EX R/C'r..

Remember, first impressions DO count..

As for 25% doing, rest screwing off.. Raise club dues.. Then pay part of the dues back to those who DO ....
Perhaps set-up a senority flying scheduel. he who does most has first rights to use of field.. Ok, so you loose a member or two.. Did
you REALLY loose anything...

Robby