Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Digital camera recommendations?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Digital camera recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 02:20 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital camera recommendations?

I've been in the market for an (inexpensive) digital camera for a while now. I had a burglar break into my house through the side kitchen door just before Christmas last year - that ******* took my camera bag (packed with my Nikon D1 and F100 SLR bodies and lenses). Arrghghgh!

I've got my eye on the Canon Powershot 330, the Canon Powershot S30 and the Minolta Dimage X. All three seem to have favorable reviews and are compact and rugged. I've looked at the consumer-class Nikon offerings but I really don't care for the flip-n-twist body style they seem to have settled on.

Anyone here using one of these?
Old 07-02-2002, 02:31 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default Digital Camera

I'm not familiar with those choices but make sure, whichever you get, that it has a standard viewfinder as well as the LCD, and rechargeable batteries as well.

The LCD screen is difficult to see in certain outdoor conditions, and you'll go broke buying non-rechargeables.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

I can not find info on the cameras you mentioned so I'm not sure how inexpensive you want to be.
I really like my FUJI FinePix 2600, 2 mega pixel, with 3X optical zoom and USB connection. Sells for under $300.00 in the states.
If you want a zoom, get OPTICAL zoom, digital zoom is worthless!!!
FUJI also make cameras more expensive(6.1 mega pixel for $3000.00) as well as less expensive(1.3 mega pixel for $180.00).

Tim
Old 07-02-2002, 02:51 PM
visioneer_one

Default Heh.

Originally posted by Wonder
I can not find info on the cameras you mentioned so I'm not sure how inexpensive you want to be.
I really like my FUJI FinePix 2600, 2 mega pixel, with 3X optical zoom and USB connection. Sells for under $300.00 in the states.
If you want a zoom, get OPTICAL zoom, digital zoom is worthless!!!
FUJI also make cameras more expensive(6.1 mega pixel for $3000.00) as well as less expensive(1.3 mega pixel for $180.00).

Tim
I'd like to stay under $500.

Funny you should mention the Fuiji 2600 - my birthday was last Saturday and that camera was one of my presents! Its a bit more bulky than I'd prefer. The LCD seems to be very dim in indoor lighting; I haven't tried it outdoors. I'm not a fan of Smartmedia cards and don't like the placement of the cardslot - yuo have to power off th camera when swapping cards. The USB mode works well, though - my Powerbook recognized it right off the bat, no driver silliness required.

I haven't done much with it, as I plan on exchanging it.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:12 PM
jnjacksn

Default SONY DSC-S75

Sony recently dropped the price on all there digital cameras...

DSC-S75... Now you can get it for less than $500 online.

This camera was worth every penny when it sold for $700.

http://www.emscomputing.com/

They have it for $451.49.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:14 PM
tbzep

I'll probably go with the Fuji Finepix 2600 myself because I'm limiting myself to around $200-250. It seems to have the most bang for the buck. If I had $500 to spend, I'd move up to the 3mp range, but I don't know which I'd choose because I haven't researched them.

This link may or may not help you.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Tim
Old 07-02-2002, 03:59 PM
KevinSheen

I really like my Fuji 6900Z. It has a good optical zoom and you can choose to either look through the lensfinder or the LCD on the back. The lensfinder is a must outside with just about any sunlight.

Here are some samples, click on the thumbnails and it will take you to the better (bigger pictures). They are all 1 Megapixel when you get to the full sized pictures.

http://mars-rc.ts3.org/photo/index.p...%2FBigBird2002

I'm not a photographer so you won't see great composition but the camera works well.

Kevin
Old 07-02-2002, 04:21 PM
visioneer_one

I've eliminated the Minolta from consideration. Big thanks to the dpreview.com site for detailing that camera's flaws.

Still trying to decide between the two Canons...
Old 07-02-2002, 05:18 PM
Crash_N_Burn

The link that follows is a terrific place to compare most of the currently available digital cameras.

They have many, many photos and good, honest reviews.

Check it out:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
Old 07-03-2002, 12:40 AM
BruceDana

One of the best digital camera review sites I have found is Digital Photography Review, at the following URL:

http://www.dpreview.com/

I hope this helps...
Old 07-03-2002, 02:49 AM
Mode1
My Feedback: (10)

A Canon G-2 is hard to beat and will not be outdated for a long time. And the price has been going down.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:36 AM
Ed

Default My choice

I had it narrowed down between the Fuji 2600 Z and the Canon S-330. Using dpreviews.com recommendations, ( reviews ) I went with the S-330. Purchased it from State Street Direct while promotional sale was in effect. Best decision I ever made. The Canon S-330 is a little jewel that takes brilliant Pics.

Sample: >
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16473_175.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	10408  
Old 07-03-2002, 05:21 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sony Mavica is far too cool. It's not a tiny little camera though. Burns to little (1/2 size) rewritable CD's that plop right into your computers CD tray. Nice, very large LCD display (hood with through the lense viewfinder, daylight blocking LCD viewing, is available) It comes in three MP ranges and the prices are dropping nicely. I have the $900 3.2mp that is now selling for around $700.
They make a 1.2 and 2.1 version also (don't quote me). The CD media holds 156 mb and can be purchased as write once ($2 ea.) or write forever for $5 ea. Beats the living daylights out of USB and Memory Sticks. I have used one of the rewritables about 5 different times now. No hauling usb cables etc.
AND it has the standard mini pin to RCA cable. Plug into the TV, or portable dvd player pr whatever, and view the images. Very cool cam. Not a "stick it in your shirt pocket and snap pics at the bar" kind of unit though.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:45 AM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is anyway you can swing another $250.00 I would highly recommend the Canon G2. The software only is practically worth the extra. It comes with Adobe Photo Shop 5.0 LE. I know it's an "LE" version, but it's still the industry standard.
2 Piece
Old 07-13-2002, 05:37 PM
visioneer_one

Default a Decision Has Been Made.

After waiting for my local camera shop to get both cameras in stock at the same time (they are *very* popular with cruise ship pasengers), I went in for a hands-on.

I really liked the form factor and layout of the 330, but decided to go with the S30 as it offered an excellent array of manual image control. That's the shutterbug in me, I guess.

Paid $525 which included a 128MB CF card, spare battery pack, USB -> CF card reader and a leather case. A shockingly good deal.

I've been playing with it for a day or so, and I'm very pleased with it. Picture quality is superb, its very speedy and the included software bundle works very well.

Here's an example, taken from my porch this morning:
Old 07-13-2002, 05:42 PM
visioneer_one

Default another pic

the "Photo Stitch" mode works *really* well!

Old 07-13-2002, 05:58 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Nice pictures, V-One! Even the last huge one had great resolution and contrast.

Here's one with the Sony CoolPix 950, I really can't tell any difference, in fact, I think your's looks better. Good choice!

Old 07-13-2002, 07:44 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

The CD media holds 156 mb and can be purchased as write once ($2 ea.) or write forever for $5 ea. Beats the living daylights out of USB and Memory Sticks. [/B]
I have a Canon Powershot A10, which is very inexpensive (< $200), but completely adequate for web pics, which is all I use it for. Instead of hooking it up to my PC with a USB cable, I bought a $30 gadget called a SanDisk Imagemate. It plugs into the USB port, and when you stick the FlashMemory card into it, the pictures show up as JPEG files in Windows Explorer. Very cool, very fast, and could not be easier!
Old 07-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Hawkeye
My Feedback: (27)

Default Digital camera

visioneer_one,
It looks like you did quite a bit of research before making your decision. I went to the dpreview site and looked at the side by side features and it said the Cannon S30 had a digital zoom. "Wonder" had mentioned that the digital zoom was worthless. I was wondering if you had any preference, or if you've used the zoom yet, how well does it work?
BTW, nice view from your back portch.
...Steve
Old 07-14-2002, 04:34 PM
T28pilot
My Feedback: (2)

I got the OLYMPUS D-380 and like it alot and it was less than 300.00....picture quality is great ....LCD screen can be seen in any light......good camera.....5x digital zoom

Name:	17654_480.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	10409  
Old 07-14-2002, 05:10 PM
Joss Stick
My Feedback: (1)

I"ve got a FujiFilm FinePix A201. It works geat. Pretty basic but it takes great pictures like this one.

Name:	17653_4935.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	10410  
Old 07-15-2002, 01:48 PM
visioneer_one

Default Re: Digital camera

Originally posted by SHolby
visioneer_one,
It looks like you did quite a bit of research before making your decision. I went to the dpreview site and looked at the side by side features and it said the Cannon S30 had a digital zoom. "Wonder" had mentioned that the digital zoom was worthless. I was wondering if you had any preference, or if you've used the zoom yet, how well does it work?
BTW, nice view from your back portch.
...Steve
The digital zoom works its magic in two ways. Depending on the zoom value it either doubles the size of each pixel or it doubles the space between each pixel then interpolates what needs to go in between. It works, but the results may not be great depending on what you're shooting. (less-detailed items scale OK, detailed things don't.)

How well the digital zoom works is also related to the # of pixels you begin with. An image taken with a 4MP camera and (digitally) zoomed 2X looks pretty good; the same image taken with a 2MP camera and zoomed 2X won't fare as well.

As for the views from the porch... the quality you're seing here isn't as good as the original files. (I had to reduce their size for web use, which generated all the solid dark areas visible in the water. Some of those are cloud shadows, and some are patches of seagrass. The color differences are subtle.

There's a lot more detail in the originals... not only can you see the bananas on the banana tree, yo can even tell whether they are ripe or not! (first image, lower-right corner, center tree)
Old 07-15-2002, 01:55 PM
TG Shinneman

Hey Joss!

West-by-Gawd Virginia eh?

Nice shot of the New River bridge.

Used to raft the New and the Gulley several times a year.

Are they still BASE jumpin from it?

For what it's worth I'm using a Olympus C-2100 UZ
Old 07-17-2002, 01:57 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Camera Expert Advice Needed

Panasonic PV-SD 4090
3x optical / 2x Digital Zoom
1.3 megapixels
120MB Superdisk Included
USB connection w/cable
Store up to 1500 pics
Max Resolution 1280 x 960
2.5" color LCD monitor
PC/Mac compatible
Software included
Motion Image Recording w/audio

I can pick this camera up still NIB w/warranty for $275

MSRP $599.95

Being a camera novice I am looking for input as to if you guy's think this is worth the money, or should I put it elsewhere?

The $275 is around the price that I want to spend. I just want to be able to post good quality pics on the net.

TIA
Old 07-17-2002, 08:41 PM
caf2461
My Feedback: (6)

Default olympus

I am an Olympus fan and could not be happier with my c-3000. Olympus makes a great lens and thier digital photo's are most realistic especially in flash mode of faces. In your range I would recommend this site for reviews and this new Olympus camera:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/d550.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.