Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Whats the worst flying plane you ever had your hands on??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Whats the worst flying plane you ever had your hands on??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 01:23 AM
robb_h
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the worst flying plane you ever had your hands on??

I'd have to say a Tidewater Playmate with an O.S. .26 4-stroke.
Rudder, with no ailerons. It would do this annoying wallowing from side to side in turns, probably because of all the dihedral. It would also do spins that were difficult, if not impossible to get out of.

A close runner up was a Page Aviation Newbee with the same .26 4-stroke. The landing gear was so close together, that you couldn't taxi it without the wingtips skidding on the ground. Can you say ground loop? You'd better be taking off from a very smooth field and holding full rudder. I was going to build the R-2 kit, but I figured it would be just as bad, if not worse, because of the close stance landing gear. I could also see the fiberglass wheel pants lasting all of one flight.

I finally gave the .26 4-stroke away. I think they have too much torque for small planes.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:42 AM
Wallrat

I'd be happy to post a video...if I knew how.

Here's the picture - you can just barely see the shadow about an inch under the left wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57383_23426.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	35264  
Old 02-21-2003, 01:30 PM
teefly-RCU

model tech cub. after rebalancing and other attempts, gave it back to the distributor.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

OOOOOH, I almost forgot...
The POS Model Tec Great Lakes Bipe ARC...ground loopin, fly like a pig, snap landin' barely flyin' piece O crapola if I ever saw one..
Old 02-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

GP 1/4 G202!!
Old 02-23-2003, 04:55 AM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Mine was a Wing Manufacturing A-6 Texan. What a turd!! It was the ground loopingest, tip stallingest plane I have ever seen or heard of! The wing is still impaled in the top of a sweet gum tree at the edge of our field. Good riddance!
Old 02-23-2003, 11:12 PM
ramcharger

I have had 2 real bad ones and 1 knew would be difficult. The Global Forty, put out about 6 or 7 years back. It was a very cheap kit. It had no room inside, and was very un stable. It only stayed in production a year or two.
SEcond, the Royal Sr Corsair. It was very un proportional with the ailerons. Plane was difficult to land. Third was the Global Cutlass 45 although I knew this would be a beast. It was difficult to take-off, no rudder and it got light on the steerable nose wheel plus it had a very un predictable glide. I must say all were winter projects and planes were flown in heavt winds. Only the Global 40 was wrecked. I gave the Cutlass away and that was stupid. The guy turned around and sold it for good money.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:06 AM
bhorton
My Feedback: (26)

A .40 size cub on floats I test flew for a friend. My first time flying off water. From the time it took off it climbed and rolled like crazy. I fought it all over the sky and finally gave up. I told him I couldn't do anything with it. I throttled back as it was going down to lessen the damage when it hit the ground and it leveled off. I pushed the throttle up and it was uncontrollable. I throttled back, put in all the aileron trim, and held some rudder to keep it straight. Flew a couple of circles to calm my nerves and landed it. The wing had a bad warp in it.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:06 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Joss Stick by Medeltech.

Built it upside down. It's a low wing taildragger. I set all the incidence just like the book said.

It's a heavy pig. Goes real fast 'cause its got a 150 2-stroke on it. Snaps are slow. Landings are at Mach 2. You gotta come in low and fast. It eats up the runway in a few seconds. If I need to abort and go around for another pass-- I have to make that decision in about 1 second. Aileron rolls wobble like a drunken sailor on a boat in rough seas.

Basically a big POS in my book. It's supposed to be a 60 size plane. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I put an OS61 FX on this pig and it wouldn't even get off the runway in 500feet.

I just hate it. I bought it because I thought that it would be a relaxing plane to fly. I just wanted something to go out on Sundays and goof around with. I thought sticks were supposed to fly relatively good??

I hate it. Tried to sell it several times. Can't give the damn thing away.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:49 AM
wheels1461-RCU

Default Worst and second to worst

It was a toss up here. #1 Lanier Dart ARF I renamed it Lawndart
It flew pretty good until the engine died then it wanted to Lawndart itself. I was able to bring it in a couple of times with little damage but 3or4 flight I couldn't get enough flare to land the DART and it literally stuck in the ground.

#2 was a Eagle 2 trainer that somebody had modified and my Brother bought for engine and radio, they had raised the fuse so the wing sat up about 3" higher than normal (insidence was way off) it looked like a mud duck. After several attempts to take off it snapped into the ground and died. We later rebuilt it and cut the fuse down where it belonged and it flies just like an Eagle 2 should----great!
Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Re: GSP P-47

Originally posted by visioneer_one
One of my flying mates had one of the GSP 55" P-47 ARFs with an Irvine .61. OMG where do I begin with this one.
Update! The fellow that owned the P-47 gave it away to one of our flying mates. This guy's a regular R/C MacGuyver - if its broken, or needs modification just give it to him and wait a bit, he'll whip it into shape.

He's done quite number on the plane. Engine swap, new firewall, reinforced tail, corrected incidence, bits replaced, bits strengthened, etc. etc.

We took it up again today. Its flying a *lot* better now - the only major issues are the wing covering (he removed the invasion stripes from the wing top, the the resulting all-grey wing blends into the clouds a little too well) and the landing gear setup (the wheels are still a little too far behind the wing's LE, so it nosed over on landing)

It can only get better!
Old 03-03-2003, 02:55 AM
puffmaru-RCU

The worst pig of an airpane I ever had was a 2 meter sailplane called the Dirty Birdy. It was a Bridi design and it lived up to it's name! It would tip stall at every opportunity. I finally tamed it with LOTS of wash out in the outer wing panels. It had way too much weight at the tips of the wings (kind of like a set of barbells) and it still handled like a very clumsey dog. I avoided Bridi designs from that point forward.
Puff
Old 03-03-2003, 02:29 PM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

The worst airplane i ever have is the TOPCAP....Of Morris ,no good for my taste..
Old 03-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Dennismate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Global Cessna 182, waaaay too heavy, flew like a pig, and the cowl looked awful.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:28 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by redrocker
The old version of the Top Flite 60 size Corsair. About 14 years ago built one, put an OS 91 4 stroke on it. Plane was meticulously balanced, no wing warp, etc. But what a snap roll special. Snaps usually occurred about ten feet off the ground as I was trying to land it. Always dropped the right wing and tumbled down the field. I would repair it, add some weight to the left wing tip, and try again. Same result. After several cycles like this I was getting so uptight when I flew it that I had to get rid of it. Sold it to a buddy at the flying field, who was well familiar with what it did. He just liked scale planes, mostly to look at.
This is typical of this plane when the wing ribs are sanded to much. If the front of the airfoil is sanded even the slightest amount, it would cause severe snap tendencies. I hate this kit by the way!
Old 03-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I had a plastic vacuum formed plane that I flew in the winter about 15 degreeees outside. It came in inverted at 20 feet and I nosed it in. The whole front of the plane disintegrated. I built an Uglystick style front end for the new nose and glued the plastic tail on the back of it. Took off with the new plane and it was soooo tail heavy that it was not controllable. I barely crashed it down in one piece about 500 feet after I took off. That was it's last flight.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Q-Ball

Default Worst Plane

Had to be the RV-4 kit...Don't know what happened but what a hand full. Never did like the plane after the first flites.Just never could get it to settle down. Had a OS 70 4S which was in the recommended range. I won't go that route again,for sure....Thanx.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:43 AM
Jblk9695

A 40 size ugly stick on leaky floats. The transmitter was thrown at me when my buddy was having trouble flying the thing.
Variable CG (water sloshing back and forth in the floats) is not very good for the flying characteristics, managed to get it back on the water with no damage and even taxied back to shore with the floats about all the way under water, lots of fun.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:22 AM
Gonnacrash
My Feedback: (10)

My wife's ! Need I say more ? ...Don
Old 03-16-2003, 03:49 PM
phat742

the GWS Zero. not because of any bad flight characteristics but the color. just dark green all over. on sort of an overcast day i was doing some low passes and lost orientation on it for like the hundreth time. ended up smeared all over a rock and foam flying in the breeze.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:19 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Funny..... Some of you have already mentioned some of the same planes I was going to mention......

A Mark's Models P-51. While it flew well, it was a royal pain on the ground. I had an old OS .40 FSR on it. Once in the air, it flew like stink tho. It was also a B**CH to build. Center crutch around which you glued sheeting. Problem was, the sheeting provided was rock hard balsa! ARRGH!

The Phoenix Ultralight (circa 1984). I think it was MRC, I don't remember. Red fabric wing, aluminum tube frame. Battery and Rx went in the pilot's body. Used elevons and an OS .15. I did actually get it to fly about half a dozen times but it wasn't easy.

An old (WAY OLD) Hawker Hunter. Dad and I acquired it from someone back in the early 80's. I have no idea whose kit it was. But it was heavy. Kraft electric retracts. SuperTiger Blue Head .61 on the nose. We got about 1 flight on it. We have 250' of pavement. WIth me on the controls, Dad would hold the tail while I ran up the engine then start running and push it. The first couple of times we ran into the weeds at the end of the run off for the runway. Got it into the air once. Pulled the gear up. Made a flight. She looked good in the air but flew like a tank. Managed a landing. The second flight, pulled the gear up. Made a couple of circuits of the field when the engine quit on a down wind leg. Made a shallow turn into the wind but didn't make the field. Broke the nose off. Gave the plane away.

A model called the Double Eagle. Wood and Foam kit from Mexico I think. It belonged to another friend who built it but didnt finish it. I took it, installed my radio gear (a World Expert Mk IX set - giant scale servos from WE - S-45's??) and a piped ST .75 round head (see!! Long ago!) Spring air retreacts. Got her into the air twice and the engine quit both times. It was a lead sled to be sure. Gave it away too....
Old 04-15-2003, 12:59 AM
fastgrafix2

i think i would have to say the worst plane i had my hands on is a wrecked one.........lol
just a little humor, hi, all i am new to flying
Old 04-16-2003, 03:57 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Thunder Tigers Lazy Tiger Cub. Poor design, Had a nasty habit of wanting to tuck under sharply if the nose dropped even a little bit. Found this out while doing a low pass on its first flight. Came down the runway and you would have thought I gave it full down elevator. I barely saved it and found it to be a handful in general. Played with balance and wing incidence and could never get it to stop tucking under.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:13 AM
Imac Kiwi

Vmar Cap 232. Gotta be the snappiest plane I ever flew. Latsed 12 months before I finally snapped it into the ground.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:04 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Flightcraft Shadow...looks was all it had... snapped and spun like an over weight ballerina, cheap plastic parts that did not fit, wood plate for wing mount split along the grain aircraft plywood not used here!

2) ThunderTiger G200 ARF... extremly tailheavy had to add lead to the nose, ill mannered on the ground, but get this...the shear webs had the grain of the wood running paralle to the spars! This profile plane should not have been made!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.