Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Whats the worst flying plane you ever had your hands on??

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Whats the worst flying plane you ever had your hands on??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:35 AM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst and second to worst

Global Raven.
It crashed on test flight.
What a P.O.S.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:34 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The last one I rekitted.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Which one was that?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:49 AM
Red Baron Dave
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Whats the worst flying plane you ever had your hands on??

the BRAND new f-27 Strikker from Hobby People
Yep flies right out of the box and into the ground. Hey it's ok it's a foamie right just a bit of glue and tape to solve all your problems
Well after 15 or so flights it never has been close to a hands off plane or even trimmed for that matter.
For the $150 you can have a ton more fun with a swap meet special and a can of nitro
The 'Radio' is crap but what do ya expect. I have seen a ton of very positive reviews on this bird - guess I am just that bad [:'(]
After much 'looking' into it I have determined that the porposing is from the way the can is mounted and not being square or true to the thrust line of the craft. Since it has always flown this way (dolphin looking for air) and no amount of clevis adjustment will coax it back to normal the LHS laughed at me when I brought it back to have their experts take a look at it.
Think I will strip her and find a nice 3 chl park flyer for the gear
Old 12-01-2004, 07:11 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Have you "reflexed" the ailerons? That is, you put a couple of degrees of "up" in both ailerons. I have an FMA Razor and it is also a flying wing and this must be done or they fly right into the ground on hand launch.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Red Baron Dave
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: ...

Hey Mr Mulligan,
Yes thanks for the thought - it just is 'one of those' and belongs in this thread. All the Zagi guys at the club cant figure it out as well...
Cheers
RBD
Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 AM
Pilotsmoe

LT-40 with 5 pounds of epoxy in it. I crashed that plane at least 10 times over the past 8 years. The more i fix it, the heavier it gets.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Flitecraft Solo 1 (high wing trainer). The thing was so heavy it had to fly at pattern ship speeds just to stay airborne. I managed to fly it for about 2 or 3 flights. Finally it went into a violent series of rolls back behind a line of trees at the edge of the park I was flying it. After about a 45 minute search, I found it in someones backyard in hundreds of tiny plastic pieces. Luckily nobody was home at the time. The ad said it was nearly indestructable! Ha!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 PM
Spaceclam

vmar cap 232 .60. when i ripped the wing off of it in a simple spin, and i went to retrieve it, the high altitude weather drone it landed next to was more interesting. i hung the remains of the airframe in my backyard and shot it full of bbs until it finally rotted away and i mulched it up with my lawn mower.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM
J3FAN

Some come to mind. They were mostly those that appeared as the first versions during the late 60s , early and mid 70 s as I recall.
The first I remember was a JENNY, a high wing trainer type with a deep dihedral... I want to say the manuf. was AAMCO but I may be wrong. The poor man who brought the first out just couldn't cope, and most of us trainers, either. It was bad, but it stayed around a long time.
The next horror was the CONTENDER ( first edition).....I flew the most recent version and it is not even comparable, they have improved it tremendously.
The NOBLER RC was bad, several club members tried to "fix" it but gave up. I forget what finally happened BUT I now see the new version and it seems to go alright.
Incredibly, in recent times, I built a HOB PIPER CUB for the Norvel .61....this model ABSOLUTELY refused to fly, it would hang in there for a while and then went into fits and crashed every time.
I have been doing RC for MORE than 45 years, so please don't offer explanations such as "check your balance" etc etc.......these planes were NOT good. The CUB was unexplainable. A good friend took it away. Maybe there will be a "miraculous resurrection story" here. !...THIS WAS JUST MEANT AS A CONVERSATION....DON'T BOTHER FLAMING !!!
OOHH I CAME BACK because I forgot the most recent and DEFINITELY THE WORST OF ALL THE MODELS I EVER TRIED TO FLY.....this was the MUD DUCK......this was a somewhat , way stand off charicature of a model Airplane....my friend the builder took EXTREME CARE to build it exactly and precisely identical to what the manufacturer had shown and he duplicated everything from the promotional tape. He even duplicated the exact recommended engine, which if memory serves was the SAITO .91 FS...... NO MATTER WHAT WAS TRIED, NO MATTER THE WEATHER CONDITIONS, THE WIND OR LACK OF IT, THE TEMPERATURE, the plane would not fly, just would NOT......so we called the manufacturer direct. When presented with the facts of the case, we were told we knew nothing about Model Airplanes and we should DROP DEAD. Can you imagine how we felt : the plane was assembled, FOR PAYMENT, for a person who had paid in advance to be able to use that model.....I forget the final outcome, but that plane never got airborne. THE WORST ? yesssss......
Old 12-06-2004, 09:47 PM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: Spaceclam
i hung the remains of the airframe in my backyard and shot it full of bbs until it finally rotted away and i mulched it up with my lawn mower.

BRAVO!!!!!That is SWEET!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Spaceclam

you cant see the holes but this will have to do. you can see the tail
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28519.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	200169  
Old 12-07-2004, 01:29 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

aircore trainer 40 diffcult to assemble the wings without them being warped.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 AM
grumpE
My Feedback: (6)

GP P-51 ARF I got on Ebay.

Fat pig. No wonder it was discontinued. Suposed to fly on a 40 2 stroke. Luckily I had a 61 in it. Needed every bit of the extra power to get the POS off the ground. Balanced per the manual. Checked by another very experienced flyer. "Seemed" tail heavy but it was exactly where it was supposed to be. Also balanced laterally.

Used the entire 300 feet of runway I had available. Broke ground pulled out and imediately began to veer toward the pits. When I tried to turn away from the pits it went nose up. Literally into a hover like manuever. My spotter was cool as a cucumber and advised easing back on throttle and trying to roll. He is way more experienced than I so I tried and by gosh it responded. Asked if he "wanted" it and he said hell no. Got it away from the crowd. but was now in a down wind approach with a very unresponsive heavy stalled bird. Burped the throttle to get it to flare. Bounced on the grass next to the paved runway. Ripped out the retracts that were up. Bent up the new pitts style muffler, crushed the cowl AND bent my nerve for the day.

Had lots of folks jokingly comment on how they had never seen anyone attempt 3D flight with a P-51.

Post mortem showed no clear reason as to why it behaved the way it did other than it was just so darn heavy. We compared it to a GP P-51 Kit version and it was WAY heavier.

I am no expert flyer and was quite happy that I averted anything ore than a bent up bird. Have flown bigger, faster and more unstable designs than a P-51 too but this one has given me the most "stories".

Eric
Old 12-10-2004, 09:31 PM
bhorton

I had a Jenny for my third trainer back in 1982. I believe the manufacturer was DEMCO. The Jenny was designed by Hal DeBolt for all classes of AMA competition when the competition classes were rudder only, rudder & elevator, etc. up to full house controls. Mine would not respond to the ailerons at all when it was climbing. It crashed on it's first flight because of that. When it left the ground whichever way it started to turn it just kept going. Ailerons had no effect on it unless I chopped the throttle. Then it would respond until I added power again. If I could get it up and level off it flew ok. I was still a beginner & couldn't use the rudder to correct it. I cut the wing in the center and put it back together with a lot less dihedral and it flew about like a sweet stick. I beat it up cartwheeling it on landings. When I got good enough to make decent landings one side of the wing exploded in the air and the plane was destroyed. You should have seen the shower of balsa and monokote fluttering down.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:54 PM
JBX

Bought a well used trainer 40 off eBay, took it to our club flying field and then had my flight instructor help me do a preflight on it. All the servos were working as required and the OS .46 engine ran beautifully. He got it on the flight deck and gave it some throttle, and it went wacky. On the tricycle gear it wallowed on wing tip and front wheel, then tipped to the other side and did it some more. At the end of the runway, taxied it around and back to try it over again and then gave it more throttle and it wallowed and finally got in the air. It did a long slow almost straight turn to the right and all this time he is giving it full rudder and ailerons to the LEFT and it did not want to go. Finally gave up and made the right turn back to the field and managed to bring it down in one piece.
Other pilots looked it over, and found that the vertical stabilizer was lightly warped, the fuse was slightly twisted, and the ailerons were enough out of sync that it added to the problem. I gutted it of equipment and engine and gave it to my plane builder/flight instructor friend who loves a challenge and a puzzle. Bought me a brand new trainer this time.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:55 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOHH I CAME BACK because I forgot the most recent and DEFINITELY THE WORST OF ALL THE MODELS I EVER TRIED TO FLY.....this was the MUD DUCK......this was a somewhat , way stand off charicature of a model Airplane....my friend the builder took EXTREME CARE to build it exactly and precisely identical to what the manufacturer had shown and he duplicated everything from the promotional tape. He even duplicated the exact recommended engine, which if memory serves was the SAITO .91 FS...... NO MATTER WHAT WAS TRIED, NO MATTER THE WEATHER CONDITIONS, THE WIND OR LACK OF IT, THE TEMPERATURE, the plane would not fly, just would NOT......so we called the manufacturer direct. When presented with the facts of the case, we were told we knew nothing about Model Airplanes and we should DROP DEAD. Can you imagine how we felt : the plane was assembled, FOR PAYMENT, for a person who had paid in advance to be able to use that model.....I forget the final outcome, but that plane never got airborne. THE WORST ? yesssss......
I found this interesting. A fellow club member built one of these and I'd seen him fly it fairly often. Think his had an OS 91 in it too.

He let me fly it once, and although it's not a plane I'd ever want, it flew okay for a "charicature" airplane (it is! ). I managed a couple of loops and one roll, which required a shallow dive followed by full up and full rudder. He sold it at our last auction.
Dennis-
Old 01-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Dangerboy
My Feedback: (1)

But Andy, that's the way you fly most planes ;-)
Old 01-23-2005, 10:57 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Got to say the Dura bat definately wins my vote........Got to throw in my 2 cents for the GP Cap 21. Had a love/hate relationship with the GP 40 size Cap-21. Kept me on my toes, we used to call them "snapping caps" It was a challange to fly. Had a YS 45 with a tuned pipe on mine. It was a plane you had to fly the whole time. Get sloppy and it bit you in the arse......Still miss it. !
B-
Old 01-23-2005, 09:29 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

ORIGINAL: bigbri

Got to say the Dura bat definately wins my vote
One of my clubmatesbought two of these kits

He built one, powered it with an Irvine .53

It was not fast, not aerobatic, and landed like the Space Shuttle.

One day the wing came off @ WOT & the fuse flew into the bush. (Cause=oil-soaked rubberbands) RIP.

He gave the second kit away to another clubmate, who powered it with an ancient OS.40 FP. That fellow also modified the wing, extending it by 2" on each side.

it flew WONDERFULLY!

Tip: once this plane has been put into a flatspin its bloody difficult to exit. The tailboom offers little-to no side drag... takes full-throttle, full aileron & rudder deflection in the direction of the spin. Once the spin becomes a tumble you can recover - if the spin remains flat it will *never* come out.

The first five rotations were cool. The next nine were pucker-inducing. The trees were waiting, silently.

That one had its fuse snapped in two after a cartwheel on takeoff. He's still go the bits, and will probably reassemble it when boredom strikes.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:14 AM
donkey doctor

Hello; Well lets see; I had a GP Cap 21, I did get that to fly okay after awhile, it was tough, but I finally got it so it wasn't too bad, then I got mid-aired. I had a Lanier sea bird, I guess I'm the only person alive to have ever flown one of those, only once mind you. Then I bought a GP Decathlon, I built that one exactly like it said in the plans, that was pretty scary, but after I changed the wing incidence it flew pretty good. Then I bought a Hobbico Extra 300, that was another handful to fly. It finally died when the engine fuel tank and throttle servo let go and flew out the front. My instructor landed teh plane backwards (tail first) I couldn't believe it. Let's see, then I built a speedy bee, then a slow poke. It seems that I have owned most of teh worst planes ever, trainer 40, I have just started a Midwest G 202. Not many there that I missed.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Goinstraightup

Donkey doctor,

You're not alone on the Sea Bird. A month ago there was just a big discussion in the Seaplanes forum about that very plane. The consensus was the same.... JUNK!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:48 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I just was flying my Lanier Sea Bird today off the snow. And after i took off today i mutterered the same thing i mutter every time i take off with it. This thing flies like s--- and maybe it will be totaled this flight but alas not yet. I have been flying this thing for the last three winters off the snow. Who knows maybe next weekend it will crash.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:53 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Dennismate

Global Cessna 182, waaaay too heavy, flew like a pig, and the cowl looked awful.
We had a global cessna a while back and it was fantastic...

We powered it with a MAgnum .65 2 stroke (cheap bushing engine) and we did crash it a few times but it just kept getting better.