Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

Did you see the Mythbusters show on cell phone's exploding gas stations? They could not get the cell phone to explode, even when they tried their most unlikely senerio. You know whenever they disprove a myth such as say the exploding trombone mute, they exagerate it by say putting a stick of dynamite in the trombone. Not much power is needed to light up a cell phone, a flashlight would be much more dangerous. They should worry about static discharge, that is a real issue.

As far as the explaination on the FAA's ban, their is apparently some navagation equipment which is near the cell phone frequencies that they are worried about. See the FAA AC on this below.

http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/acs/ac91211a.pdf
Old 07-07-2004, 02:26 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a related story, the Society of Unsubstantiated Correlation and Keepers of Everything Rediculous has joined the fight with PETA and NAMBLA... but is unsure of their commitment to the Democratic party.

SUCKER's spokesperson was heard responding to the notion that cell phones would not cause tektonic plate movement by downloading the latest ring tone from the movie Armeggedon when he said, " Oh yeah? I suppose next you're going to tell me pigs can't fly."
Old 07-07-2004, 02:35 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In planes, yes, it is a paranoia that anything electronic in back will mess with the electronics in the dash. Not likely, but they make the rules to protect for the what if. I have played with electronic toys in the cockpit many times and never had a problem. Never done in under hard core IMC though. Little too busy for that. Get more static that causes problems from precip than you would a cell phone. Had problems with that, and lightning blowing holes in the tail and stuff like that. Maybe it was the cell phone that blew that hole. No, guess not, we didn't have any cell phones along on that trip. Gotta find a different scape goat. [X(]
Old 07-07-2004, 02:48 PM
ekrcflyer

I am sorry, guys, but this is the story I can not buy at all!!!

I can see how cell phones MIGHT interfere with flying because of the haromonics interference, but whiping-out memory ON MULTIPLE TRANSMITTERS?!!!

I do believe in UFOs, aliens, Area 51... bot not in this one
Old 07-07-2004, 02:51 PM
branded
My Feedback: (9)

Curious responses! Although confronted with real world circumstances they travel through life with blinders on oblivious to the circumstances that others have experienced, some of which unfortunately are no longer with us!

Talk about paranoid!

Yep (sarcastic), a good strategy is to simply ignore the (reported) dangers asociated with cell phone use instead of cautioning others of the potential danger through misuse of the phone that may result in a serious injury, or property loss.

Frankly, I don't understand this vehement movement to discredit what the "experts" say, or to discount through innuendo the circumstances that have been reported where the causal action was isolated to a single instance whereby “the phone rang and my car caught fireâ€.....

What's the point guys? I clearly don't get this posture!
Old 07-07-2004, 02:56 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Oh jeeez...... Hold on, where is my copy and paste button....

Branded,

What do you mean, "discredit"? We've (haven't we been here before?) already admitted it's "possible". We just don't think it's likely.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

And introducing the spoksman for SUCKERS . . .
Old 07-07-2004, 03:22 PM
FLYBOY

Yea, expert opinions and people that were there. Remeber, this all started when someone said their phone rang and wiped out the memory of all the radios at the field.

I can also show you written text from a guy who found the wreckage of a chevy impalla with a jato unit strapped to the top 5 miles up a canyon too. Its good reading, but simply not true.

If cell phones were a threat to the radios, we would be hearing it from the radio companies, FCC and AMA. Not on an internet forum.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Frankenthumb

You can't hardly turn on the news these days without seeing a report on a gas station blowing up, or an airplane crashing because someone, ANY ONE, of the tens of millons of cell phone users out there zigged when they should have zagged, answered when they should have let it go to voice mail. It's a national epidemic.

I'm very close to being sorry for the sarcastic tone, but this is getting tiresome.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:30 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: branded

Frankly, I don't understand this vehement movement to discredit what the "experts" say
never heard any real expert say that phones cause explosions at gas stations, only static discharges that can happen just as easily without a phone being present.

i bet the real reason for the "no cell phones" sign at every station is the fear that it might reprogram the pump and cause it to dispense free gas

dave
Old 07-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Frankenthumb

Zagnut, if you're in Israel what on EARTH are you doing up at this un-holy hour?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:52 PM
ZAGNUT

i'm 10 hours ahead, not behind. not even midnight yet, got a couple hours left for goofing off

dave
Old 07-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bet the real reason for the "no cell phones" sign at every station is the fear that it might reprogram the pump and cause it to dispense free gas
H'mmm....might be worth some research that I will keep to myself.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Frankenthumb

DOH! I should have known that! I spent several weeks in Haifa last year and made plenty of calls home. You have a beautiful country! We were there for the Kippur, so we rented a car and drove down to Elait, stopped at the Daed Sea, etc. Floating in the Dead Sea was UNREAL! I need to get back there and have more felafel. It's just not as good here.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Frankenthumb

Sport, as I understand it, the signs went up at the pumps before it was proven that there is almost no actual risk of a phone causing an explosion, but since the word ALMOST is in there lawmakers and insurance companies are reluctant to take them down. It's a CYA thing. . . I could be wrong about that, but that's how I heard it. Might have actually been from that Mythbusters episode.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:33 PM
scottrc

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I read in the Wall Street Journal that large the percentage of gas station explosions involve women getting into their cars and talking on their phone. The article said it wasn't the phone, but, since most women wear wool socks, pants, and phenolic soled shoes, that when getting in and out of the car, they creat a static discharge which will ignite the fuel on the ground that may have been spilled from previous overflows.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:48 PM
ZAGNUT

ok, ok, i got it now! if you wear your wife's shoes and pants while flying and then spill some fuel on the TX it might just explode if you answer the phone while shuffling your feet along the carpeted flight station

frank, did you know that it only takes a small amount of that "water" to kill you if swallowed?

dave
Old 07-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Frankenthumb

Really? I didn't hear that, but I did dunk my head, trying to see how far down I could swim. First I found out what I already knew would happen: that it was hard to submerge. Second I found out that getting that stuff on your lips tastes HORRIBLE, and that it stings your eyes like CRAZY!! I didn't open my eves, but I got some in there anyway and WOWZER, it hurt!

I didn't know it could kill you, but I'll bet it could make you barf up several days worth of food. How does it kill you?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:19 PM
FLYBOY

It wasn't the cell phone in the persons hand that started the fire. It was the freekin cigarette! I have pulled in to the gas station so many times to see someone sitting there smoking while the other is filling the car. I slowly pull through and go to the next station. People are so stupid!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 PM
branded

ORIGINAL: Frankenthumb

And introducing the spoksman for SUCKERS . . .

Hehehehe...Thanks for prooving my point!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:04 PM
branded

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

It wasn't the cell phone in the persons hand that started the fire. It was the freekin cigarette! I have pulled in to the gas station so many times to see someone sitting there smoking while the other is filling the car. I slowly pull through and go to the next station. People are so stupid!

You make'th your own house, so say's the ****....

For everyone else, please evaluate the response and give it its proper weight in this (discussion) forum of "disbeliever’s".
Old 07-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Frankenthumb

I'm sorry, what makes you think I was talking about you?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Frankenthumb

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

You make'th your own house, so say's the ****....

For everyone else, please evaluate the response and give it its proper weight in this (discussion) forum of "disbeliever’s".
Oooohhhhh, I see the problem: you're a "believer". Now it all makes sense!

As for me, I believe I'll go make myself a sandwich.

Next time you witness an incident involving a cell phone causing something peculiar to happen let us know. Untyil then STFU (Stop Telling Fallacies, Understand?).
Old 07-07-2004, 06:18 PM
branded

ORIGINAL: ZAGNUT

Frankly, I don't understand this vehement movement to discredit what the "experts" say
never heard any real expert say that phones cause explosions at gas stations, only static discharges that can happen just as easily without a phone being present.

dave
Umm, just curious. Don't you consider the gasoline company, "expert".

Who would you consider an "expert" and would you please elaborate as to whom you consider and expert. Would that be you?

It's sad that this thread has been taken over by a bunch of guys that have nothing more to contribute than lots of nonsensical dribble that adds nothing substantive to the conversation.
It's simply a war of attrition to them.

If they hang around long enough they believe that they can declare "victory", and their point of view prevails.....

Anyone with any clue, looking in on this thread, will see the absurdity to the postings by some of these guys.

What's the cliche, "familiarity breeds contempt".... These guys, because they use these devices, feel they know all about them.

It's clearly a very curious phenomenon! [&o]
Old 07-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Frankenthumb

[/quote]

It's clearly a very curious phenomenon! [&o]
[/quote]

How about we agree that it's a very RARE phenominon. Very RARE indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.