Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 06:25 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Don't Answer Cell Phone While Flying!

It's also a very weird and infrequent occurance.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:29 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

branded, why all the huffin' and puffin'?? why do you keep coming back when you've already labeled us as a bunch of dumasses? what exactly do you expect of a thread in the clubhouse?

and no i aint no expert but that doesn't mean that i should automatically believe all the "expert" crap the oil companies spew

dave
Old 07-07-2004, 06:30 PM
MHawker

These guys, because they use these devices, feel they know all about them.
Huh? Here you go again making statements with no facts to back them up. WHO said they knew all about the radio equipment we use?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

Dangit Mike, I'm tired of explaining this to you, but here we go, one more time for the kids in the back, I never implied that it was weird and infrequent, my point is that it is odd and almost never happens! Why can't you understand that? SHEESH!!!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:41 PM
MHawker

Sorry Frank. You know how much I value your opinion, but I disagree with you about it being odd and almost never happening. I must insist that not only is this weird and infrequent, but peculiar and sporadic at best.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Frankenthumb

[/quote]

Umm, just curious. Don't you consider the gasoline company, "expert".

[/quote]

I think that the oil companies are oil experts, and trust their opinions about oil and oil based products.

[/quote]

Who would you consider an "expert" and would you please elaborate as to whom you consider and expert. Would that be you?

[/quote]

I think that to be considered an "expert" at anything puts you in a very rare and select group of intellectuals and scientists. However, since I'm an RF engineer, and in the past I have worked on teams that designed cell phones, and given the fact that I am currently working on the development team for a wireless product, and given the fact that 2 of the engineers who are on my current project come from Motorolla, Mitsubishi and Nokia's cell phone divisions (specifically the RF portion of those phones), I believe that I have the inside scoop on what a cell phone is capable of. I'm standing here telling you that it may be mathimatically possible for some of these things to happen, but the odds are so far out that it JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN! CERTAINLY not with enough regularity that it should be worried about.

[/quote]

It's clearly a very curious phenomenon! [&o]
[/quote]

I never personally claimed to know "all"about anything, but I do know enough about the right things that I feel comfortable standing on my personal knowledge, education and common sense. Worry if you wish, but please, don't bore me with your rhetoric.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Frankenthumb

ORIGINAL: MHawker

Sorry Frank. You know how much I value your opinion, but I disagree with you about it being odd and almost never happening. I must insist that not only is this weird and infrequent, but peculiar and sporadic at best.
You use terms like "peculiar" and "sporadic", but I think their meaning is beyond your grasp. Why, it's almost as if you're implying that these reports are semioccasional and idiosyncratic. Let me submit for your consideration, that at BEST these types of things are unlikely and extraordinary. Can we agree on that?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:56 PM
MHawker

Wait a minute, Frank..... Now you're saying it's "mathematically possible"???

Make up your mind. Is it mathematically possible or odd and almost never happens?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Frankenthumb

ORIGINAL: MHawker

Wait a minute, Frank..... Now you're saying it's "mathematically possible"???

Make up your mind. Is it mathematically possible or odd and almost never happens?
DOH!! I'm busted.[]
Old 07-07-2004, 07:44 PM
coreymotel

ORIGINAL: Frankenthumb
Umm, just curious. Don't you consider the gasoline company, "expert".

[/quote]

I think that the oil companies are oil experts, and trust their opinions about oil and oil based products.

[/quote]

Who would you consider an "expert" and would you please elaborate as to whom you consider and expert. Would that be you?

[/quote]

I think that to be considered an "expert" at anything puts you in a very rare and select group of intellectuals and scientists. However, since I'm an RF engineer, and in the past I have worked on teams that designed cell phones, and given the fact that I am currently working on the development team for a wireless product, and given the fact that 2 of the engineers who are on my current project come from Motorolla, Mitsubishi and Nokia's cell phone divisions (specifically the RF portion of those phones), I believe that I have the inside scoop on what a cell phone is capable of. I'm standing here telling you that it may be mathimatically possible for some of these things to happen, but the odds are so far out that it JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN! CERTAINLY not with enough regularity that it should be worried about.

[/quote]

It's clearly a very curious phenomenon! [&o]
[/quote]

I never personally claimed to know "all"about anything, but I do know enough about the right things that I feel comfortable standing on my personal knowledge, education and common sense. Worry if you wish, but please, don't bore me with your rhetoric.
[/quote]

Curious indeed!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Frankenthumb

Man, how far out of whack has this thread gotten!![&:]

From a story about a dolt at the field answering his phone and losing track of his plane, to cell phones wiping out the memory of transmitters all over the field, to cell phones blowing up gas stations and causing death and destruction in the friendly skys.

Whew!! What a ride!
Old 07-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Live Wire

Its been hear long enough to have one of these toy's catch fire and burn some one!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 07:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The article said it wasn't the phone, but, since most women wear wool socks, pants, and phenolic soled shoes, that when getting in and out of the car, they creat a static discharge which will ignite the fuel on the ground that may have been spilled from previous overflows.
Mythbusters had a fuel pump safety expert, may have been from an insurance company. He said that the real danger was static discharge, often from getting in and sitting in the car while the gas is being pumped. When you pick up the gas nozzle you discharge static electricty before pumping the gas, if you get back in the car and rub against the seat you create an additional charge, then you may create a spark when you pull the nozzle out and fumes are present. Women were more likely to do this, so there is a higher percent of women who get burned from pump accidents.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

And you don't use them so you are the real expert?
Old 07-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Frankenthumb

Man, how far out of whack has this thread gotten!![&:]

From a story about a dolt at the field answering his phone and losing track of his plane, to cell phones wiping out the memory of transmitters all over the field, to cell phones blowing up gas stations and causing death and destruction in the friendly skys.

Whew!! What a ride!
If it keeps up the site will crash and burn. Of course it will be the fault of talking about cell phones. So talking about cell phones should be banned from RCU!
Old 07-08-2004, 10:58 AM
MHawker

So talking about cell phones should be banned from RCU!

BTW, while getting gas this morning, I checked the pump for warnings. Interestingly enough, there was NO warning about cell phone usage. Only about static discharge (as was mentioned above) from getting in and out of the car.

I had the station add a warning about using a transmitter to fly an RC plane while fueling your car, though. No need to have anything left for chance.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:46 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I better quit talking on my cell phone while fueling my gasser.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Frankenthumb

Oh jeez scott, you're just going to get our buddy all fired up again! And just when he went down for his nap![X(]
Old 07-08-2004, 12:04 PM
jettstarblue

HEY I KNOW!!!!!
LET'S ALL ADD THREE WORDS TO THIS THREAD!!!!!! YAY!!!
I'll start it- Once upon a time- oh that's four, O.K. LET'S ALL ADD FOUR WORDS!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 04:42 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Too funny. Unless I just missed something, I don't recall ever hearing anything about a cell phone starting a gas station on fire from any gas companies. Anyone got that press release?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Sport_Pilot

Go to Google and type in "cell phone" "gas station" fire. You will get a number or recent news article's. IMO the cell phone companies should sue gas stations for not including static discharge lines and blaming the cell phones for their gross negligance. I remember in the 80's an Air Force Sgt Major at Mytle Beach died in a pump station gas fire. The life insurance company denied the claim because they and the police determined it was sucide. Solely based on the fact that the Sgt was under investagation. But the inveatagation was a routine security investagation that the Sgt had come through before several times with no problems. It was not specific to him and was concluded well after the acident with no findings. So I guess they blamed static discharge on the user's then, now its cell phones. In aviation you have to ground the vehicle before pumping gas. I would feel a lot safer if I could do the same with my car.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:16 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aviation refueling is a different matter. The volume of fuel being pumped creates static of its own from the flow. I *think* antistatic compounds were added to the fuel. We did closed circuit refueling with the turbine still running in the service, and static electricity was an issue. Also, aircraft radios build up tremendous amounts of charge in the airframe. We could not transmit while refueling. When doing slingload ops we had to touch down first to drain static charges before hovering over the loadmaster for him to hook us up to the load. There are plenty of cases where the loadmasters were zapped off of their feet.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Sport_Pilot

Aviation refueling is a different matter. The volume of fuel being pumped creates static of its own from the flow.
Having helped design aviation fueling systems and holding a pilot's certificate, I can tell you this is untrue. The fueling system is grounded and any charge the fuel makes is immediatly discharged.

Also radios do not create a charge, they are grounded to the airframe and are the same potential as the airframe. Planes are grounded before fueling because they can build up a static charge flying through charged clouds and even getting hit by lightning. Planes that are fully equiped for IFR flight will have static wicks to help discharge any large static buildup, including lightning.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A plane flying through clouds is like rubbing a rabbit with a brass rod. It turns into one big capacitor. I know by chocking a few and touching the metal landing gear that it gives you quit the warm fuzzy feeling if you have an opposite charge.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Sport_Pilot

I know by chocking a few and touching the metal landing gear that it gives you quit the warm fuzzy feeling if you have an opposite charge.
You can get zapped pretty bad after getting out of the plane. Usually your shoes will keep you ok till you touch a door or something. Many times I get zapped when opening the door of the FBO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.