Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Idiots On The Flying Field

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Idiots On The Flying Field

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 PM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiots On The Flying Field

After spending all day yesterday flying at the flying field, there's always those few or more idiots that have no clue what their doing. Yesterday I watched someone pile in a AT6 Texan, another total out a sukoi, one guy screwed up his profile plane, another guy had no idea how to get his super tiger started, and so on. You know the people I'm talking about. They come out with a beat up plane, fly over the pit areas, ect. Well yesterday I was sitting in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and this Avistar 40 was headed right towards me, I jumped out, and he pulled up just before he hit my Jeep. His 1st near miss. The second, he almost t-boned his dads truck, again pulled up at the last second and said the plane was acting up, BS!. I couldn't believe it. I told him NOT to fly his plane over us, and his dad told me, "Well he's just learning". REALLY? Non the less. My point is be very careful who you take your advice from on here. As I was watching these people, I thought to myself, It's guys like this that could be giving me advice on the forums....NO THANKS! So take what you read on here with a grain of salt! Thats my 2 cents after a day of flying. Happy Flying!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Idiots On The Flying Field

So take what you read on here with a grain of salt! Thats my 2 cents after a day of flying. Happy Flying!
Including what YOU tell us, Rick?

I don't fault them, I fault the field and the club (if any) that controls it. No flight rules and no one to enforce them? No instructors? No experienced pilots to try and help them instead of criticizing? Every man for himself, huh? Everyone who began flying R/C, at some point, was an "idiot", even you, Rick. I was, I'll admit it. I stuck my finger in a prop - once. I taxied back to the pits - once. I crashed because I had more plane than I could handle - once. Fortunately, I flew at a field with an established club and some rules. I learned quick and right.

It's true on the internet it's hard to establish credentials. I'll not blow my own horn, but so anyone in here will know:
I began flying R/C in the mid 70's.
I participated in competition fun fly with the likes of Jerry Smith and Mac Hodges (and am humbled by their skill).
I have built and designed my own planes.
I've flown sport, pylon, fun fly, and giant scale.
I was an officer and instructor for the club at my main field.
At one time, I was a member of three local clubs.
I am an AMA Contest Director.
I have participated in contests and fly-ins from Nashville to Asheville, in Huntsville and down to Orlando.
If I give advice, I don't give it lightly. If I tell someone something, I don't pull it out of my *****. I've either done it successfully or seen it done successfully. There will be other ways to do things, but my ways work. I won't advise someone to do something I won't do.

You?

Sorry to get on the soapbox, people.
Gerald
AMA 156202 CD/Scientific
IMAA 20815
Old 09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
RickShane

Dr1Driver- You are right on the money. I fly at the Salt Flats where there aremany people with NO rules at all. I help as many people as I can. I got that guy's super tiger engine to run, I told that kid what his father should have.But when I am threatened with my personal safety & property damageI have to say something. The father should have told this kid not to fly ofer the pits, but he didn't. He didn't follow common scense at all. You know who I'm talking about. The No common scense guy that always showsup no matter how long he's been flying. I was really scared yesterday after that close call in the back of my Jeep.The only point I was trying to make is be careful who you take your advice from on here. And yes I stuck my finger in my prop more than once. I don't want to make this a big issue at all, nor do I want to upset anyone on here.Just an observation. I love this site and respectthe opinions of everyone on here.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
aussiesteve

Don't know about where you fly but "over here"
- Flying over the pits or towards people are both groundable offences.
- Learners who have not got their "bronze wings" (an official Solo Test) have to have an instructor with them at all times when their plane is being controlled

As for breaking planes? - I must admit I am guilty of that. Although I do have to do some really bad flying (or do something pretty dumb) to break my profile (MoJo - need I say any more?) - the larger and less beat up ones? - well it is much less of a challenge to break those - so easy that just about anyone can do it

Dr1Driver is right - advice given at the field in a calm manner often improves the knowledge of those "breaking the rules", sometimes they just don't realise.

If I see someone doiogn something stupid (like flying on the wrong side of the runway or heading towards the pits on a regular basis), I speak calmly and in private to them (balling them out in public just seems to get most upset for some reason). I take the time to explain WHY they are doing the wrong thing instead of just laying down the law to them.

As for guys crashing? - well as long as it is away from people it is up to them. I will give advice to a pilot who is having trouble though - or even talk them through a maneuver if they are open to advice. for those not open to advice? - I just like to watch them fly -sometimes they are much better than me, other times their crashes are spectacular, other times, they are just practicing a new maneuver and are training their thumbs to do it (which can sometimes result in a "cool crash".

Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thread moved from:
All Forums >> RC Airplanes >> Kit Building

To

All Forums >> Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more >> The Clubhouse
Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I'm confused, which ones are the idiots at his field?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey BB! Great to see all us idiot are in one place at the same time!
I miss your posts buddy.

My flying is pretty good it's just my landings that suck.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Live Wire

[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

. . . there's always those few or more idiots that have no clue what their doing.
And did they turn down your offer to help them out?

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 PM
emartinez11

im new to the Rc world, and people like rick would make me mad. so what they crashed their own plane, i agree with the 2nd poster also. there should have been someone there supervising.

but to flame them because they are truely learning at a field that you just said "has no rules" is probably more disrepectful then them crashing there own planes. its not your money..so what do you care?

as for the near misses, thats understandable, but maybe try jumping off the high horse and go help them out, rather then flame.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The question is,, are the idiots fly near Rick, or is Rick hanging out with idiots?

Choices, choices
Old 09-12-2010, 11:16 PM
aussiesteve

A few years ago, a (then) new fact of life was pointed out to me and it might help explain some of Mr Newtons observations too

"When one makes anything idiot proof - someone else invents a better class of idiot"

Of course, I am also lucky - I KNOW I am an idiot - I have 2 (late) teenage kids so it is confirmed to me every time I talk with them. Life gets so much easier when one just accepts that one will never be as smart or clever as a teenager
(Yes, I was a genius when I was a teenager too )
Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 AM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: RickShane

Disregard this topic. My message was taken the wrong way.
Have a good day!
Rant fail.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Dr1Driver

The question is,, are the idiots fly near Rick, or is Rick hanging out with idiots?
Let me address that. My wife and I were at a fly in at another club. The pilot's meeting stated spottere were required. I fueled up and was flying, with my wife spotting for me. Another plane went up and she informed me he didn't have a spotter. I wasn't too concerned about it because we were the only two planes in the air. I was standing, flying and doing aerobatics on the left side of the airspace. He was standing and flying on the right side. After a minute or so, my wife told me, "He's coming over here." I glanced quickly and, sure enough, his plane has drifted towards the middle of the field. Since I was doing some wild aerobatics and he was sorta just flying around, I moved my plane over a little to maintain separation. After a few seconds, "He's back." Sure enough, he'd followed my plane over. A few seconds later, "G, he's really close!" Sure enough, he was on top of me. As I attempted to maneuver outta there, "He's gonna hit you!" And he did SMACK! Center-punched my plane at full throttle. My balsa Piranha II disintegrated in a cloud of balsa while his DuraBat made a controlled crash landing with little damage. It was almost like he targeted me. The wife and I walked out into the mud field to pick up the pieces. I couldn't do what I wanted to do in front of all those witnesses, so I walked over to him, shook his hand, and said, "S**t happens." turned and walked off. I ranted and raved all the way home.

One good thing DID come of it. As I was leaving, a Father with a child came over to me and shook my hand. "Sir, I just want to commend and thank you. The level-headedness and good sportsmanship you showed made a great impression on my son here, and now he really wants to get into flying since there are so many good people in the hobby." I damn near cried.

Sometimes the idiots can't be avoided.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Live Wire

All he has to do is ask Richard about the Basin
Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
vicarh

The other day I was at my local hobby shop where the owner introduced me to a customer as the treasurer for my club. The man said something like "oh, that is the club with all the rules where you need permission to walk". I cannot remember how I did it but my response was calm and level headed... "yes, and that is how all 200 plus members like it." The man did not say another word to me...

The AMPS club in Miami has a lot of rules and we try our best to enforce them. People do not recognize that urbanization is reducing the suitable flying places very fast and an accident can force a club out of thier facilities. We are on State of Florida land and we do not need idiots causing trouble and giving the State a reason to kick us out.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:52 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Dr1Driver

Let me address that. My wife and I were at a fly in at another club. The pilot's meeting stated spottere were required. I fueled up and was flying, with my wife spotting for me. Another plane went up and she informed me he didn't have a spotter. I wasn't too concerned about it because we were the only two planes in the air. I was standing, flying and doing aerobatics on the left side of the airspace. He was standing and flying on the right side. After a minute or so, my wife told me, ''He's coming over here.'' I glanced quickly and, sure enough, his plane has drifted towards the middle of the field. Since I was doing some wild aerobatics and he was sorta just flying around, I moved my plane over a little to maintain separation. After a few seconds, ''He's back.'' Sure enough, he'd followed my plane over. A few seconds later, ''G, he's really close!'' Sure enough, he was on top of me. As I attempted to maneuver outta there, ''He's gonna hit you!'' And he did SMACK! Center-punched my plane at full throttle. My balsa Piranha II disintegrated in a cloud of balsa while his DuraBat made a controlled crash landing with little damage. It was almost like he targeted me. The wife and I walked out into the mud field to pick up the pieces. I couldn't do what I wanted to do in front of all those witnesses, so I walked over to him, shook his hand, and said, ''S**t happens.'' turned and walked off. I ranted and raved all the way home.

One good thing DID come of it. As I was leaving, a Father with a child came over to me and shook my hand. ''Sir, I just want to commend and thank you. The level-headedness and good sportsmanship you showed made a great impression on my son here, and now he really wants to get into flying since there are so many good people in the hobby.'' I damn near cried.

Sometimes the idiots can't be avoided.

That maybe true is some cases, but you could have landed at the first sign of trouble, you decided to continue to fly, so who's the idiot?
The same way Rick there could choose a safer place to fly and park his Jeep.

Life is full of choices

p.s.
There is a difference between an Idiot and a Rookie
Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 AM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only idiots are the ones that should know they need help, yet are so prideful that they refuse help at every turn. It's easier to crash and blame it on something else then admit when they are in over their head. Yes every effort should be made to assist and educate in these situations, but if they refuse to listen or comply to field rules then act accordingly. If it's an open field then stand back and wait for them to finish. Not much more you can or should do.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: vicarh

The AMPS club in Miami has a lot of rules and we try our best to enforce them. People do not recognize that urbanization is reducing the suitable flying places very fast and an accident can force a club out of thier facilities. We are on State of Florida land and we do not need idiots causing trouble and giving the State a reason to kick us out.
You can make all the rules in the world and you will still have accidents. How about a "no crashing" rule?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
vicarh

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
You can make all the rules in the world and you will still have accidents. How about a ''no crashing'' rule?
Please, give me some credit, people crash their planes and helis all the time.

That is not what we are trying to prevent, accidents happen and we know will happen. What we are looking for is to be protected from the people that think our field is a public park and that they have the right to fly even without AMA. The guys that fly behind the flight line, over their heads and over spectators. The guy that thinks because he has a huge airplane he can do 3D three feet from the pilot stations. The guy that taxi's his plane behind a pilot station at full speed...

We are trying to prevent the kind of accident that will make the club be at fault and we may loose the property. Never mind a lawsuit or the loss of life.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: vicarh

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
You can make all the rules in the world and you will still have accidents. How about a ''no crashing'' rule?
Please, give me some credit, people crash their planes and helis all the time.

That is not what we are trying to prevent, accident happen and we know will happen. What we are looking for is to be protected from the people that think our field is a public park and that they have the right to fly even without AMA. The guys that fly behind the flight line, over their heads and over spectators. The guy that thinks because he has a huge airplane he can do 3D three feet from the pilot stations. The guy that taxi's his plane behind a pilot station at full speed...

We are trying to prevent the kind of accident that will make the club be at fault and we may loose the property. Never mind a lawsuit or the loss of life.
Well is it a club field or a Public field??

If it's a club field inforce the rules,, If it's a public field, you're out of luck cuz it is a public field

You may think your site is bad, Believe me, you haven't seen crazy until you flown at the Basin on a busy weekend,,, Headache!!! [X(]
Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

The only idiots are the ones that should know they need help, yet are so prideful that they refuse help at every turn.
Not always the case. I was retrieving a plane that had ended 40' up across the runway from the taxiway. I had announced and nobody was close, except for a very experienced and competent pilot who was carrying a large profile/Saito 180 to the starting stand. As I'm picking up the stalled plane, he starts the 180 and launches the profile across the runway - directly at me. Gets airborne and pulls vertical about 15-20' from me.

I crossed back over and waited for him to land. I told him that while I had absolute confidence in him, his equipment, and his ability, he was setting a very bad example for the new pilots who watched him do it. He hadn't considered that, and apologized profusely.

We all have the capacity to be idiots....
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM
weathervane

Just a thought, If you get more than 2 people together, someone is going to think the other one is an idiot. At one of the clubs where I am a member, we have 130 members. We get all walks of life there. Everyone is different, everyone has there own way of doing things. Some are safe some are not. It's a hobby and it is suppose to be fun.
-Andrew
Old 09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who's the Idiot? The idiots or the people making excuses for the idiots?

Larry
Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Well is it a club field or a Public field??

If it's a club field inforce the rules,, If it's a public field, you're out of luck cuz it is a public field

You may think your site is bad, Believe me, you haven't seen crazy until you flown at the Basin on a busy weekend,,, Headache!!! [X(]
I believe you are incorrect on that point. Clubs on public land can, and most do have, rules regarding safety.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.