RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   The Clubhouse (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/)
-   -   Hard To Build Kits (Heli, Cars, Planes) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/clubhouse-190/10436847-hard-build-kits-heli-cars-planes.html)

tommygun32 04-05-2011 10:33 PM

RE: Hard To Build Kits (Heli, Cars, Planes)

1 Attachment(s)
Brian, you want a challenging build....get this (USS Constitution) in a wooden kit form and plan on spending the next year on it...:D

AraTidwell 04-06-2011 01:12 PM

Yes,

for planes you need to join a club and have a place to fly them. Helis, you still need to be around where ever local heli pilots fly to give you guidence. You also MUST have a simulator, they are not easy to fly.

If you want to start with building a trainer, I would recommend a "Telemaster" or perhaps a Sig Kadet.

But you might be better off getting an ARF for your first trainer, and building your second or third airplane. If you like aerobatics, a Profile like a "Mojo 40" would be a great airplane but defiantly not as a first plane. Something a little more mild? A Sig Something Extra.

bhughes89 04-07-2011 07:49 PM

I appreciate your advice on getting an ARF, but my heart is already set on getting a full build kit.

As for the simulators, I've been looking into them but they seem to be expensive. I've heard great things about RealFlight from GreatPlanes, but I don't currently have $100 nor do Ireally want to spend $100 on that kind of software. It'd be really nice if I could find a free one because once I figure out how to fly, I feel like my usage of the software will drop dramatically.

Any suggestions on simulators?

outdoorhunting 04-08-2011 05:47 AM

Starting out a simulator does seem to be quite expensive. Let's investigate. Good simulator: $200. #1 OK.Learn how to fly basics. #2 get a competent instructor at club field & learn to fly. Let's say, 200 bucks for the plane ( kit or otherwise), 200 bucks for a decent tx. Figure cost of a couple minor crashes 20 bucks. Now you have roughly 620 bucks & are flying. I would say the figures are reasonably close to average to get going. Now, Let's figure without the simulator.. $200 for the plane,- $200 for the tx ,take it out to fly, start the engine taxi down the runway pull up on the stick get 20 ft in the air it WILL CRASH totalled- $200.for another plane. Go back to the field & try it again not knowing what you did wrong the first time cause the flight didn't last long enough, you crash again. This time you're lucky. it only tore up the wing. Order a new one 100 bucks. Two weeks later, you get the new wing & go to the field again. Now you're really not too confident you can do this. Ah, you've gone this far, don't quit now !! You get it up & are doing real good. You've got the plane 100ft & are flying around, even remembering when it comes back at you,- the controls are reversed. Suddenly, oh, crap !! Where did that strong gust of crosswind come from?? Well you had the plane up a 100 ft & it was coming back at you, you got flustered when all of a sudden the plane rolls over on it's side( going inverted) of course THAT reverses the controls again. In she goes !!! 100 ft up straight nose in, you didn't think to cut the power ( you had no instructor to remind you) The plane is a total loss, the motor is no good ( bent crank) Ok. lets figure again; 200 bucks for the first plane, lost, 200 for TX, second plane $200, lost, don't forget that $100 repair.Total cost; $700 Actually, the costs are not that diferent are they?? Oh, wait a minute, with a simulator, you're flyng & have everything!!! Without the simulator you have a TX that you stuck back in the closet & will never use. Everything else, gone !! That simulator is not that expensive any more. I'm sure other guys will agree with me in most cases. I

378 04-08-2011 05:57 AM

Or you can spend 200 on the plane, 100 on a transmitter, get a buddy to teach you how to fly via buddy box, and bam. Learned to fly, no major crash, no expensive sim.

No need for the sim. People have learned to fly just fine for years without it.

bhughes89 04-09-2011 10:07 AM

@378, thats kind of what I thought. Plus, if i crash and burn, i would love to fix it, even though thats not money conducive.

either way, i managed to get my hands on RealFlight and a very nice JR10x (for which i am getting the USB-Tx cable) from a very nice guy I am working for at Horizon Hobby. For now, I'm using my PS3 controller, which is a bit awkward since the left stick springs back, but its better than nothing i guess.

378 04-09-2011 10:11 AM

I use my xBox controller for flight sims all the time so I'm rather used to a spring-loaded throttle when flying. Who knows I may even try it on the actual plane once I'm good flying it normally.

joebahl 04-14-2011 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use to built kits but i like to fly stuff thats different so i build from plans now, [8D]here is one. And you can fly it off of any lake so if you dont want to join a club its up to you.:D joe

rszanti 04-14-2011 06:29 PM

Looking good Joe !

joebahl 04-15-2011 03:55 AM

Thanks rszanti I have been flying off of water for 7 years and have grown very fond of sea planes. This one is a short solent from ivans plans and has a 99inch wing span with 4- 480 electrict motors . I attend 7 or 8 water fun flys a summer and i am rushing to get it done for the first one.:D It was not easy to cut all of the parts but not that hard either a good fun build if you get bored with building normal stuff. joe

bhughes89 04-15-2011 05:20 AM

wow joe thats incredible! i will definitely be looking into building from plans, that looks like its a real challenge to build

joebahl 04-15-2011 06:47 AM

Thanks for the kind words brian .It is not as hard as it looks and once you get a couple under your belt you will do fine. I have had cars and copters but i have found what makes me happy in this hobby and it is building sea planes and flying them also. If you dicide to try planes here is a link to ivans plans and some builds including mine .Iam in the solent build section as roadking97 and if you scroll down past those you can see ivan himself flying his solent in the video section. Good luck brian in what ever you decide to build . If you do try planes or scratch building and have any problems just pm me and maybe i can help. good luck sir joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485

cutaway 04-16-2011 09:21 PM

A hard, but tractable project: The old "Bosta" C/L combat plane. Fully elliptical, not fake elliptical. There's hardly a straight line in it. Building the wing unwarped (without jigging it) is hard, covering it (with plastic) is hard because the whole wing is a compound curve.

collector1231 04-18-2011 05:37 PM

Get a Losi strike with no gears or elecs or body or tires. Then, what do you get? A mad builder. Trust me, i've been down this road.

bhughes89 04-20-2011 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: joebahl

Thanks for the kind words brian .It is not as hard as it looks and once you get a couple under your belt you will do fine. I have had cars and copters but i have found what makes me happy in this hobby and it is building sea planes and flying them also. If you dicide to try planes here is a link to ivans plans and some builds including mine .Iam in the solent build section as roadking97 and if you scroll down past those you can see ivan himself flying his solent in the video section. Good luck brian in what ever you decide to build . If you do try planes or scratch building and have any problems just pm me and maybe i can help. good luck sir joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485
i appreciate all the help joe!

@collector - does losi make any kits? i looked up the strike but all i could find was RTR...

@cutaway - that sounds badass. though i am having troubles finding any plans or pictures. lol i cant even find pictures of the actual plane... help?