Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Peel ply and bleeder cloth questions

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Peel ply and bleeder cloth questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:16 AM
Mms_citrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peel ply and bleeder cloth questions

i layed up some parts. I know I used too much resin, on. At the time I didn’t believe it mattered. A put down peel ply(the econo stuff)and a couple layers of breather bleeder cloth and vacuumed them up. Came out like a solid rock. I used a grinder to remove most of it. So, did I use the appropriate material and method? Did I just use too much resin? Is there a different release film I should look into? When applied properly I should be able to, with effort, peel the peel ply and bleeder fabric off? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Mms_citrus

This was when I first applied vacuum. Took a minute but then it started to bleed thru. I also put a blanket and heater on it all so it thinned the resin even more.
Which contributed.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you forgot to put a layer of perferated release film between the peel ply and the breather cloth.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried some economy peel ply once and it did just what yours did. That component and the rest of the peel ply went straight into the trash. I use this https://www.fibreglast.com/product/N...Peel_Ply_Tapes with breather cloth or paper towels directly on top. Never had a problem. You do have to pull pretty hard sometimes but it will come off.

Scott
Old 04-03-2018, 05:43 AM
jefff
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the same economy Peel Ply and it was always hard to come off the part. Now i still use the economy Peel Ply but use two layers then wax paper and last the breather cloth. It is easer coming off this way without ripping. I vacuum bag it at 12 ins with post heat for 24 hrs.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Mms_citrus

Originally Posted by Vettster
Sounds like you forgot to put a layer of perferated release film between the peel ply and the breather cloth.
a
I didn’t know there was something else? What is this release film you speak of
Old 04-04-2018, 10:30 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

From the Fibreglast.com web-site.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

JSF_TC I dont use it as shown in the picture. That would leave a very shiny finish. I use..

FG layup

PeelPly............the coated stuff with red lines. I use it first so that the finish is rough and doesn't require sanding for future bonding.

Perforated release film.......the stuff you put over your windows to stop drafts in the winter. $1.50 at Dollarama. Fold it many time and punch holes in it

Breather cloth.......Paper towel. two layers

Bag..........XXL Clear garbage bags from Walmart for $6.00 There great! btw.. Stretch a LONNNNNG way before bursting. Though you still dont want any bridging.