Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Layup schedule for 2 meter pattern fuse

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Layup schedule for 2 meter pattern fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Layup schedule for 2 meter pattern fuse

I have a 2 meter pattern plane fuselage that I want to make. I used to make smaller .60 sized fuses long ago and used a 4oz layer of fiberglass and then a 7 1/2 oz layer. With the larger sizes of fuselages now, and the newer materials, I am lost w/ the S glass and kevlar and carbon cloths etc. I don't plan on using a vacuum bag, just open layup in the shop. I was thinking 2 layers of ?? (adding up to 8-10oz) and small reinforcment patches in hi stress areas and areas prone to bending and twisting forces like at the rear of the fuse where the stab attaches. Any help would be appreciated before I go out and spend lots of $$$ on failed experiments.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:42 AM
Deadstik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Layup schedule for 2 meter pattern fuse

ual,

You have asked a question which is very difficult to answer. I make 8 different fuselages and not one of them is made the same way or uses the same "schedule" for layup. Since you have done this before, you know that you first use a lightweight layer of cloth and then a second or third of higher weight. This would depend on the loads being placed on the fuselage. Does your plane have plug in wings? Have you done research on "new" methods using carbon fiber tow as reinforcement and using cabosil/microballoon mixtures to strongly reinforce high stress areas? Are you planning on putting this plane into production? Is cost "not an object" or "very important?" Any time you are making something new it is going to involve R&D. I suggest you first look at the many threads here and on the web concerning fuselage layups and methods used to reinforce them without adding large amounts of weight. After you make one, build the plane and stress the heck out it. If the plane is getting stress cracks after less than 20 flights then you have a stress area that will require further reinforcement and/or a design change. I believe that most of the other people on this forum that manufacture fuselages would agree with me in that the research is far more important than the layup. Good luck with your project.

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 10-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Chris Moon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Layup schedule for 2 meter pattern fuse

Thanks Dan. I was planning on some tests w/ the canopy and chin cowl to see what I could figure out before I started on the fuse. I have probably made 100+ fuselages over the years, but none in the last 20yrs or so and this new stuff is fantastic. I am not going to get into selling these planes as we all know there are very few (none) people getting rich making pattern kits while spoiling their health with this stuff all day long. I was thinking of a simple 2 layer (maybe 2 and 6oz glass) layup for most of the fuselage with an extra layer of light carbon cloth or kevlar or s-glass in the high stress areas and maybe some carbon tow "loops" in the rear fuselage area near the fin / stab area. I'll post some pics of my test pieces.