Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Rebuliding a wing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Alladin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuliding a wing

I hope I put this in the right forum. I picked up a Sig Four Star .40 from someone and the wing has been damaged. Part of the wing is missing from the spar on back to the TE. I think I've figured out how to replace the stringers and ribs, but am totally confused on how to rebuild the TE. This is my 1st attempt at a repair. Also, do I build a TE then cut it to fit in the gap? Any instructions or help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:55 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Rebuliding a wing

This is more a how to mold the wing out of CF forum, although wood is a composite building material.

I'd just copy the part of the wing that has a TE, just scarf in TE stock then start adding the ribs and other stuff. If you don't box your working by starting with the TE, things tend to grow, and the TEs won't match.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:26 AM
hoofty

Default RE: Rebuliding a wing

throw the wood away and get yourself a hotwire and a block of foam. there are several threads posted in this forum that cover the process and almost any of us are willing to give help and pointers if needed.

Or, if you insist on repairing the built up wing, remove the covering from the entire wing pannel and copy the construction method used throughout. Make sure to splice the T/E spar by cutting a long taper into the good part and mate the new wood to it (scarf method, as said above). This will increase the size of the bond line and give you a much stronger product. use the same type and thickness of materials used throughout the wing. then cover it as you would any other part.

But I still say you would be better off building a new wing. And the foam core method would take less time and come out straighter lighter than repairing a built-up balsa structure.

Hoofty

but that's just my opinion.