Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Fiberglass question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 AM
mel2498

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglass question

Good day,

I have just begun to fiberglass my Dornier and I have created a number of access panels, can never have enough access to things in my book. Anyhow what do you do with removables when you fiberglass?

Do you glass each panel separately and then sand/massage to fit after everything drys?

Or do you install your panels and glass over them going back later to cut them out with a dremel?

I can see myself doing both at the same time with this plane when I look at each circumstance/panel.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Aquila223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass question

2 ways to do this.

1: Glass over them in place. When the glass gels it is soft enough to cut with a sharp (New) blade. You can make really tight fitting panels this way but you have to be there as the glass sets to get it at just the right time. Too soft and the glass will lift rather than cut. Too hard and you'll never cut it and that panel is there for keeps.

2: Glass over the open bays and cut the glass out as above. You then need to do the panels and make them fit by sanding.

I prefer the first option as I know my resin and only glass when I have the time to do it. If you don't have the time to sit beside a fuse all day then go the second option.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fiberglass question

A third way is this.
Glass over everything before cutting out the hatch.
Mark out the hatch in pencil.
Cover the area, with room to spare with some low temp plastic covering either tacked in place, or even taped in place.
Lay up 2 - 4 layers of 5 oz glass on top of the covering, and let cure.
Peel the cured glass piece off the covering, then peel the covering off the model.
(If you want, you can even make a second piece at this point)
Lay the glass piece back on the model and transfer your hatch outline.
Cut out your hatch on the model.
Cut out your hatch cover from the piece of glass a little oversized, then trim/sand to fit.
Your hatch cover will have the proper contour and with a good close fit.

Scott