Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

options for "glassing" parts

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

options for "glassing" parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Left_Turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default options for "glassing" parts

Has anyone ever tried using a womans pantyhose or stocking as a base for glassing a wing or fuse? I was thinking that the way it would stretch over a part ( wing ) that you could pull it over and have all sides handled at the same time. I know that 3/4 OZ. cloth isnt adding any strength to the part and its only a base for painting, so why not use something that will stretch and stay in place? I didnt know if epoxy would actually bond with the nylon material or not. but it would eliminate the seems that are associated with laying cloth on. It seems to be harder and harder to find 3/4 at the LHS especially anything larger that a SQ yard,and I was just kicking the Idea around. Any imput would be appreciated
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: options for "glassing" parts

I've seen it done by a fellow modeler years ago on a Sureflight foam P-40. Works, but you could see some weave on his version. It can be made to look like glass if worked
with care.

A bit heavier then glass, maybe, maybe not. Depends on the method and material used.

Made me laugh, but flew well

Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
wkevinm

I use .58 oz glass cloth on Q500 pylon racer wings. In an effort to make the cloth easier to use I recently taped aluminum bar to the cloth at 2 ends, this makes it easy to handle and lay over an epoxy wetted wing with few wrinkles. Then use a credit card to lay down and then soak up any excess resin with toilet tissue. This method is quick and light very little sanding requird. I disagree the cloth will add considerable strength for the weight of it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52402.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	850001  
Old 01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Ed Smith

this makes it easy to handle and lay over an epoxy wetted wing with few wrinkles.
May I suggest that you lay the cloth on a dry wing. Pour some epoxy on at the centre and work towards the tip. From the middle of the chord work at an angle out to both the T.E. and the L.E.

Much easier than trying to manipulate wet cloth. I tried that once, I ended up in a rubber room!

Ed S