Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Control line comeback

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:18 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Control line comeback

Is control line on the way back. I am getting the itch to get out some of my 35 year old stuff and fly. I am also getting the bug to build a nastalgic stunter. I have a old Tutor with a Fox .35 I am going to dust off and go fly.
The following users liked this post:
AJ Sun (01-11-2024)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:32 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

In my area there are several club members who fly CL , some CL only.
They are discussing having a CL only meet/fly-in this year .
Old 03-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Last Fall I took my old Flite Streak w a Fox 35 and flew for the first time in maybe 16 years. I knew how to fly but was pretty easily dizzied. Thank goodness for lazy eights. I wasn't too steady on my feet. The old buddies at the field say that will get better. I'm not sure, 64 now, not as spry as I used to be. But I think some practice like I did when I was first learning, just circling, I might be able to get used to it again. Shorter flights in the beginning might also help. When I was flying last Fall, I really felt unsteady with the feeling that I could fall. But the true controliner in me wouldn't let it happen. Just some thoughts from my experience. I do hope to fly controline this Spring.
AJ Sun (01-11-2024)
Old 03-19-2017, 03:27 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There seem to be a few new guys interested lately in Arizona and California. I don't know if it'll replace the guys we have lost but it's a good sign regardless.
Chris..
AJ Sun (01-11-2024)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Flypast111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U-Control Line FLYERS never die => they just get lost in the circles ...
The good thing about control line flying ... and the varied aspects of it ... are that you get
to actually "FEEL" the airplane in your "hand/body" ... it's not just "eye-hand-sound" coordination
like too many other forms of model aviation are so composed ... "so feel-the-pull" .... and hang-on!
Keep'm flying ... Flypast111
Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 AM
jpeggy

Default C/L

I'm 77 and have been dabbling in RC but I was watching some guys flying c/l and got the itch. I flew in competition in the 60's and seventies in Southern Cal and Arz. I ordered a Sig Twister off e-bay so I am looking forward getting back in the circle. I don't think I could handle rat or goodyear thats what I used to fly. I'm in NC now and some guys in Winston Salem have circles at the Hobby Park there.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jpeggy, North Carolina is a great state for all modeling, especially control line. Even though the Old Julian Model field in Liberty is primarily a RC site, I'm sure you would be welcomed there to fly control line. I fly control line once or twice a year for fun.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:26 PM
straitnickel

After 40+ years, I've built a new plane and I like it, I'm getting used to spinning now too.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 PM
straitnickel

I can't take the sun in my eyes like i used to i have to watch out for that.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:27 AM
Bob Mears

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its really good for our health. I'm 64 and still compete in control line combat. It requires some running, great coordination, hand to eye skills, and keeps me more stable on my feet. I'm seeing more interest in control line in my area. Some RC guys reverting back. A newbie or two showing up. Good to see. Just a shame its so hard to find a hobby shop to support control line now.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:50 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I have nearly finished my Top Flite Nobler I started building 42 years ago...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06906.JPG
Views:	662
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2223359   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07212.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2223360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06909.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2223361  
Lee Taylor (07-15-2022)
Old 07-07-2017, 01:27 PM
straitnickel

I just finished this Brodak P-40 with an OS-40LA, 3 flights so far, I have a wire loop for the tail wheel to go with a Stooge I made

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	989.2 KB
ID:	2223362  
Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Very nice, I'm impressed with both of you guys.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Spin

Here in South Arkansas Control Line is strong.. We have 2 Contest each year the first weekend in May and this November 4-5th. Hope some of you guys can make the contest.. We had a cl pilot Paul Winter from England come a couple of years ago and flew his electric Gee Bee.. He has some good videos on youtube I found out... Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:00 PM
David Ingham

I don't think it is part of any sort of trend, but I did fly 049 CL recently after an interval of a decade since my previous CL and my last fuel burning model flight, and of maybe 35 years since my last fuel burning CL. I also have been flying tiny line powered CL airplanes alone and with children. It is now very hard to find a place to fly fuel burning models around here, even muffled 049s, but it is very easy to find places to fly the 25 gram line powered toys.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:51 PM
londke3

Originally Posted by junkjet
Is control line on the way back. I am getting the itch to get out some of my 35 year old stuff and fly. I am also getting the bug to build a nastalgic stunter. I have a old Tutor with a Fox .35 I am going to dust off and go fly.
I just saw this post. The Indiana Skyliners are in Sellersbug at the Clark County Airport. Just over the river from Louisville. Nice circle and nice guys. I just drove up there last weekend with my son for a funfly. Look them up on FB.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:55 PM
George770

Default hobby shop to support control line

Originally Posted by Bob Mears
I think its really good for our health. I'm 64 and still compete in control line combat. It requires some running, great coordination, hand to eye skills, and keeps me more stable on my feet. I'm seeing more interest in control line in my area. Some RC guys reverting back. A newbie or two showing up. Good to see. Just a shame its so hard to find a hobby shop to support control line now.

You can get anything you need from
Brodak - c o m,
rsmdistribution - c o m

Go to the following forums to further whet your appetite. They have more online hobby shops listed

stunthanger - c o m / s m f /
brotherhoodofthering - i n f o /

George770

sorry for writing the sites that way but there is a retarded polcy requiring 10 points before I can help a fellow modeler with the actual urls! Good Luck
Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 PM
David Ingham

My main problem is that there is nowhere to fly on the Peninsula or the Santa Clara Valley. I have flown 1/2 A at the Department of Motor Vehicles truck testing parking lot, with complaint about the noise only from an RV squatter who is unlikely to call the police because he has probably been parked there much more than the allowed 72 hours.
The nearest organized site I know of is across the Bay, about an hour's drive when the traffic is light.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:13 PM
George770

Originally Posted by David Ingham
My main problem is that there is nowhere to fly on the Peninsula or the Santa Clara Valley. I have flown 1/2 A at the Department of Motor Vehicles truck testing parking lot, with complaint about the noise only from an RV squatter who is unlikely to call the police because he has probably been parked there much more than the allowed 72 hours.
The nearest organized site I know of is across the Bay, about an hour's drive when the traffic is light.
David I feel your pain. Go on google maps and check the area. I have the same issue. I would have to travel at least 35 - 40 minutes to get to a site, and that's without traffic here in Not so Sunny South Florida. I too have recently returned to Control line after a long hiatus. Buy the RV guy a soda

Take care, have fun!

George Albo

pp. Do go onto Stunthanger, they have great discussions on finishes and building etc.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:36 PM
George770

Default Control line forum

Originally Posted by David Ingham
Here's another site might want to view!
flyinglines - o r g / planes .12 .11 .html (Don't forget the DOTS!)

George770
Old 10-10-2017, 11:44 PM
BrightGarden

Hi, glad to find this thread. I can't explain why I got caught by the bug to fly CL the last couple of years, the reasons are lost in (recent) memory.
It seems I was around many Cox and Testors plastic flying bricks in the late 60's and early 70's, but I can't remember actually flying.
I think we used all our time trying to run them - but, boy, did that provide a lot of lessons. I think tinkering with them leads to an interest in how things work, and I eventually became a design engineer (computer).
Last weekend was the 10th Annual WorldWide Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon, and two weekends ago was the International Cox PT-19 Fly-It-If-You-Got-It weekend.
Both events are ad-hoc nostalgia-driven weekends, and somebody tallies the total number of flyers, flights, and different airplanes.
The events gave me a focus to get airplanes, and get them ready, for the event - I need a little structure around my model airplane enthusiasm, I find.

Here's a video I made yesterday using a wrist-mount for my GoPro. The setup needs to be adjusted for better results but it got me a whole long way to being able to capture my progress with learning to fly the Old Time Stunt pattern.
This Ringmaster is 40 years old and was the best of the litter from a gent who had 30 CL planes up for sale near me.
The fuel came from S&W in Tatamy, PA - I bought 4 gallons for best price, a year ago - 29% Castor, 10% Nitro.

Video
- I hope it motivates you to get out there in the sun and fly...

Name:	Thumbnail for Youtube.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	2240844  
Lee Taylor (07-15-2022)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM
David Ingham

Looks very nice.
Sites being so hard to find, you might consider putting something like carpet or cardboard under it when you start it, like we used to do when I flew in Massachusetts, to keep spots of fuel and oil from getting on the grass.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:35 PM
BrightGarden

Very good point, well taken. I believe there may end up being a bald spot where I was flying from.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:51 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

I've never seen grass damaged by glow fuel.
Is this really true or just a myth?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 AM
gmeyers

Originally Posted by Flypast111
U-Control Line FLYERS never die => they just get lost in the circles ...
The good thing about control line flying ... and the varied aspects of it ... are that you get
to actually "FEEL" the airplane in your "hand/body" ... it's not just "eye-hand-sound" coordination
like too many other forms of model aviation are so composed ... "so feel-the-pull" .... and hang-on!
Keep'm flying ... Flypast111
Don't get me wrong - I love Control Line flying,, back in the 50's I designed my first plane then a second and made them control line instead of static. One was a Mig 3 from photos and three views I had accumulated the other was a Corsair. Eventually I acquired an engine (an OK Cub) and both planes flew great as control line planes. I flew control line up until the 80's when I decided to try RC. Once I accumulated some stick time I learned that the connection between you and the airplane was good and maybe better than Control Line. Then when the new Frequency Hopping 2.4 Ghz radios came out the connection grew and became more solid. Though invisible the connection is solid and your feel of the plane is good too. Can't explain it but it's as good as control line. I still build and fly control line because it's my first love but I don't sell RC short.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.