Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

So what was your first control line plane, and what was the year, and age that you...

Old 05-18-2017, 03:09 PM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Keil Kraft Champ plans are available, see Champ plan - Free download - Outerzone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1643.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2215946  
Old 05-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does the "dizzy" go away in old guys like me if they keep flying. I use to fly CL a lot before I went to RC, but last fall dusted off the Flite Streak (Fox 35 stunt) and had real problems with getting dizzy. I also opted for long lazy 8's. The other old guys there who only fly CL don't seem to have the problem.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most everyone gets dizzy after a long layoff from flying C/L but it will get better each successive flying session until it finally stops just like before, if you can remember that far back.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For what ever its worth what has keep me going strong over the years is two fold (I am 72). This definitely is related to age and makes no difference if you are a returnee, experiencing various equilibrium problems or other medical problems such as me.

What I believe and tell any returnee regardless what your skill level may have been is first: Do not start up agine with Half A airplanes. Far better to use larger ships that you can use sixty foot lines with and this alone will certainly help with the dizzys. Next do not use a controlline engine, Instead use only a throttled RC engine. Now think about that for a minute what controlline pilot has not wanted to terminate a flight at will or perhaps just to fly slower a couple of laps or make those long dreamed of touch and go landings.

With 2.4 systems now its so easy to put a tiny servo and receiver in with a 50 to 270mah battery pack to operate that throttle.

Now will the dizzys go away completely with time if you are older well? Good question and I feel far to often the answer is no and perhaps never. The addition of a simple throttle system is the key for any returnee or some that like me have lost the abilty to stand up. I can also offer plenty of info on success with a wheelchair if any are interested.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:06 PM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Half-A on 30 foot (9.15 m) or shorter lines puts lap times of 3 seconds or less. Stunt ship on 60 foot (18.3 m) lines, talking more like 5 seconds or so laps. Run engine with a rich setting, with those capable do the 4 cycle - 2 cycle - 4 cycle break when in stunts if capable. Thus, turn rate is a lot slower, so not as dizzying. Control time in flight by amount of fuel in tank, less initially until used to it.

RC throttle only complicates things, IMO. We've been living in the fast lane too much. CL is supposed to be relaxing, simplicity at its best (unless you like combat or speed).
Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Tom Nied

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thank you guys for your input. My return was with a Flite Streak with a Fox 35 stunt, 3 1/2 ounce tank. Moves pretty good. Doing lazy eights really helped, but the length of time seemed long and I don't know, felt kind of unnerving on these 64 y/o legs. Spinning, spinning, spinning. I kind of wished I had my old Banshee. Seemed like the lap times were longer. I'll give this a go again. When I was first learning as a kid, I would practice just turning in circles. Also, I know, moving in a backward circle also helps. So will keep that in mind. Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tom, the Banshee has a 125 additional square inch wing area and 7 inches more wingspan, which might explain why it flies more relaxed. What prop are you using? If you're using a 10x6 with your Fox, may be downscoping with a 10x5, 10x4 or 9x6 might make a big difference in lap speed.

Search this Thread