Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Control line comeback

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 01:18 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

How about a park that has a soccer field or baseball field?
Old 12-05-2023, 02:00 PM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I run a 140 in my front yard, ya it's an acre and dangit I have to share that with a Hedge Tree. A 60 foot diameter, rotten, drops about a hundred apples each fall, Hedge tree. It'd be fine if it would stretch to the south BUT I have this circle on the North side, so, it keeps stretchin. I know that's just 30 feet less in radius but it is a rather large chunk. I tend to pivot on the opposite side of center just so it doesn't just reach out and touch me, again.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:21 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Way back in time when I flew control line I use to use large parking lots. I would find one with an edge that was grass. Was not the best arrangement in the world but I made it work. For R/C I would use new industrial complexes that were under construction. They were available on the weekends. The first thing they install is the roadway which of course serves as a runway. Usually there are some hard dirt open areas also.

I would employ someone to hand launch. I learned if I ran directly away from the plane I could get control before it hit the ground.

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 12-05-2023 at 03:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tom Nied (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 04:20 PM
AJ Sun

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey guys thank you for your reply. I've been run off baseball parks and not my large parking lots in my area. The airport has an area across the street. It's large enough. But restricted to.after school hours. Last school.bus runs after sunset. It's workable I.pay school taxes so I am in my right to.use thst school property. Closest homes are half mile away.AJ
Tom Nied (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Clean

I was using an un-used parking lot at a now, gone Mall back in the mid 90's. There was one entrance into the place, a good size parking lot and no light poles. So I parked across the entrance, and commenced putting flights in. One time I was in the middle of inverted laps and there was a car driving right at my airplane, windshield height. Thank goodness I rememberded bottom as I missed the old ladys car. She drove the perimeter of the the parking lot, got back to where my car was and jumped the curb, grinding on her frame, and drove off.
Always best to have a spotter but though we have a fair bunch of people who fly in Kansas City, we're all spread out and all workign different shifts. Takes me an hour to get to Shawnee Mission or to Lake Jacomo. We had more people in Topeka in the 90's and they were spread all over too BUT that means it takes about 15 minutes to get to the field.f
Stay alert.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:16 AM
AJ Sun

Well I live in a retirement community and have a hanger I built back in 1989. It's part of the runway along with 35 other owners. One Acre lot. I flew off my lot a year ago. After sun down. Hurd a gun shot. But thought nothing about it. When flying on 58 foot lines runway easement is 200 ft wide and nice grass. Usually did a 3 minute flight. Maybe a bit longer. I landed put my stuff up. My lines my Stuge. And a few other things. And put my plane.up. it was dark by then did not noticed the damage. But somebody shot at my plane. Probably a shot gun. It hit and knocked off my rudder. Last time I flew was about 9 months ago. Lots going on in my life now. Nothing happened. Last time I flew. Sure would be nice to fly with other guys. And have a circle. I was told this new RC group had a simular incident at the new RC field they just started..they promote a circle but it's a joke very poor location and the wind and launch set up.area is all.wrong. their attitude is no body Flys U Control so why have it. AJ
Old 12-23-2023, 02:29 PM
AJ Sun

Well got everything repaired. And been building a Super Ringmaster. micro Models repop from Sterling. It's all built just sanding and cut a cooling vent below the prop spinner. And out the bottom in the engine bay. I am going go keep flying at the airport. It was a shot gun. I dug a few pellets out of the tail of my Veco Chief. Just knocked the vertical tail loose, it was still on the airplane but cracked at the base. Kinda know who did it. Just hurd another gun shot. People get crazy around Christmas. Next time I fly. I know another U Control guy. Let him fly too. We can spot for each other. Hey Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:51 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Pretty rough neighborhood.
AJ Sun (12-24-2023)
Old 12-24-2023, 09:47 AM
AJ Sun

Hi Tom Merry Christmas, for some reason some of our neighbors just like to shoot guns. One guy liked to blow off these fireworks even during our drought and burned up a bunch of grass. The grass grew back nice and green. When you fire a bullet in the air, it's going to land somewhere. It was bird shot, the same guy shoots squarls. Because they got in his plane and ate up some wiring. I have a feeder and several have built nests in my pecan tree. We also have several Deer that enjoy the run way they eat the cut grass after we cut the field. I am a deer hunter but hunt at Mineral Wells, the old helicopter training facility Camp Walters. It's about A one hour drive. We had a flying circle their in the 60s guys still fly there. I will fly my plane on my facility, only in south winds. AJ
Old 12-25-2023, 03:44 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Merry Christmas to Tom Nied! Just thought I would inquire about how your .35 Buster build is going. Have you tried the Monokote hinges on the elevator yet?
Happy New Year,
David
AJ Sun (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 04:05 PM
AJ Sun

I wish more guys would post seems like I invaded this circle thing. I flew RC for years. I never posted much with work, building, and so on and on and on. About two years ago I lost interest in RC different group and went back to my roots, U Control. Kinda lost the touch,but feeling that plane I built gives this old man a rush. Just feeling the wind,and the pull on the controls. And now at 77 realizing their is a lot more to it,than just going in circles. Being ahead in that circle means a lot. It taxes you into thinking it’s not just up and down in the manuvers, but a tail wind and the head wind your lines going slack, then popping back with a tug. Not a competitive flyer, but I like to perfect what I can fly. Some day I will try the cloverleaf. That seems to be a real challenge. If you think about it it’s just four real tight figure eights. I’ve changed all my tanks to two and a half ounces. That’s about my limit. And way happy New Year guys!AJ
Old 12-28-2023, 07:39 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Places to fly

Hi AJ. I too fly mostly RC but got a wave of nostalgia while I was looking over my collection of old CL stunt engines which included my very first glow engine, an OK Cub .049B, which I got when I was 5 years old (it still runs too). I decided to build another control line plane after dragging out my ancient Goldberg Lil'Wizard to verify I could still spin in circles at 71 years old. I managed to score a Sig Twister kit before Sig Manufacturing relocated and the Twister went out of stock. I got it built and covered with UltraCote. Then I selected the engine by seeing which one would make it balance without adding balance weights. My choices included a Fox .35, a K&B Stallion .35, an OS .35S, a McCoy .29 and a Fox 36X. The OS .35S that I've had since 1970 balanced it perfectly by just adding a spinner. It flies great inside/outside loops and wingovers and it can do endless horizontal eights when I start getting dizzy. It reminds me of my high school days when my buds and I frequently flew Flite Streaks, Ringmasters and CG Cosmic Wind stunters after school. My flying buddies just laugh at me now when my lines go slack in the wind and they get to watch an old man trying to run backwards very fast. I'm lucky now because I live out in the country and can fly CL and RC in my front field. My CL circle is mowed short and is 175 feet in diameter and could go well over 250 feet if needed. I started an AMA chartered club (Lucky Lane RC Club) on my property and got a FRIA approved. Of the 11 members, I am the only one flying CL (so far). Everyone else in the club flies RC although several started on CL. My few neighbors are friendly, like airplanes, don't shoot at them and are far away. The grass is green and life is good here in TN. Just not many CL flyers around any more... so sad. Good luck with your Super Ringmaster. That would be a great plane to fly on New Year's day.

Last edited by LLRCFlyer; 12-28-2023 at 07:44 PM. Reason: grammar
AJ Sun (12-29-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 08:27 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

AJ, You're certainly holding up your end regarding posting: "I wish more guys would post seems, like I invaded this circle thing." A quick count shows that you were the "LAST" to post on no less than 26 threads. Congratulations that's probably an all time record! Your spelling, and punctuation could use some work. I've been following your posts since you exploded on this forum, and I've been tempted several times to comment, but didn't want to come across as confrantional, or even a bully. That's not who I am. I made a suggestion for a simple battery/starter build which didn't suite you, so I figured I'd let others read and respond to your posts. I've pretty much done everything there is to do in Free Flight, Controline, and RC (except helicopters), but I usually let others respond first, because I'm smart enough to know that there is a lot I don't know. Page 2 of the November issue of Model Aviation has a picture of my son and granddaughter at this years NATS. I had planned to be there, but my arteries had other ideas, which required a bypass. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm seriously not interested in where you get your bellcranks, how the cowling on your Ringmaster is shaping up, and what size fuel tanks you have settled on. If you are getting dizzy why not just stand still and fly figure 8's for a couple of minutes? I wish you well in your modeling ventures, but have a gentle suggestion. Consider if your audience here would care if I posted how I repaired a broken landing gear on a night Vapor, vacuumed bagged the wing skins on a EF1 pylon racer, or install a firewall in a fiberglass fuselage. Now if someone asks, then I'm happy to share how I do things, which might be different from how someone else might do it. Finally I commend you on how prolific you are as a poster on this forum. With all the other things you are involved in, it's amazing to me the volume of material you find time to post. Happy New Year.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:25 AM
AJ Sun

Default Wish more would post

Okay Ive forgotten what Miss Mooma tought in basic lit and composition. But this is more about the circle then what we learned in Lit. I enjoy the reading and pass my time listing and talking about our hobby. I think it's great that others are interested. And participate. My Suoer Ringmaster is coming along it's a slow process using old adhesive methods. I've gone to the two and one half fuel tank on all my U Control planes. I am flying on my one Acre lot I own to the center of the runway along with thirty five other owners. I live in my metal hanger. And fly on a easement. Keeping my flights at about three minutes. Only in South winds. My part is about 300 feet from the south end which has sixty foot power lines that carry 440 volts. Any closer than that and you rusk electrical shock. Aircraft departing to the south should be at about 200 to 500 ft from the ground. But lately some are much lower, so I fly after the sun sets to the West. Three minutes. Never fly early in the morning. I am considerate and respect my Neighbors. Can't really say that about some of the residents. A County officer did have a conversation with me, seen my credentials, and said your legal just be careful. I do own and fly an Aeronca Champ. Hope you have a great New Year. Sounds Like I offend. Sorry about that. Being shot at is no fun. But Ithor was Vietnam. I got pretty thick skin. AJ.
Old 12-29-2023, 11:22 AM
AJ Sun

Hey Greg Doe, just thinking about your post, hope your skin is thick too. We have several new people that have never built, and several people that relay on ARFs. I feel talking about the build process and what I am doing will give some of the readers an in site to the construction and process in a build. That’s all I know Pictures would help,but my system has issues with that phrase. I have instructed in A@P and Instructed in IA classes,college level classes. All my students got high grades in the FAA tests. They studied had nothing to do with my instruction. AJ.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:18 AM
AJ Sun

This is funny. The School board met in November I went and asked to fly on the School Properity across from the local Airport. Commented about paying School Taxes sense 1989. Don’t know if this is the reason, but I got my Property tax statement. I no longer pay School Tax.
Clean (01-05-2024)
Old 12-30-2023, 04:22 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Well that's good news.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:31 PM
AJ Sun

Hey Mr Doe, I am still laughing about it,it’s like a grand less. Tax I was paying back in 1993. Thinking about telling the other guys in the car club I am a member of, just to see what happens. Why in the world they just would let me fly my UControl on school properity. It’s crazy, but I hope it’s true and not a error. Still haven’t paid my properity tax. Due January 31 2024. HNY, AJ
Old 01-01-2024, 12:51 PM
AJ Sun

Well its New Years Day January 1 2024. And Found Out I will no longer get my cargo Airline retirement Check. The program went insolvent. Great start to 2024. Was reading some posts, Wish more guys in my area were in the Circle. Read about UC fuel killing grass and making stains on concrete. That’s true. That’s one of the complaints, a Neighbor had. Why People are like they are. My properity my buiness. I do use a mat and a catch can, guys were shooting and blowing off fireworks all nite. Suppose to be band in our county. During the three year drought lots of fires. One consumed three thousand acres and three homes were lost, started supposed to firework that blew up instead of going off. Must have been a big one. Well back to building and Turkey left overs. AJ
Old 01-05-2024, 03:00 PM
AJ Sun

Well all is well at Fort Granbury. My retirement pention Check will be in fine shape I will get that Pention. But will be paid on first Thursday of the month. It went solvent and was bought out by Mutual investments. That caused this hiccup, eating turkey left overs and Circle Peppers. Great eatingAJ
Old 01-05-2024, 04:23 PM
Clean

Good news finally then. Those "little hiccups" aren't fun. My wife retired last June. Her company messed up the COBRA transfer for us and that was fun with specialty medicines, two Dr. appointments, an MRI and a referral for rotator cuff surgery. Like they could smell it coming. Then again, it might just be me. My Cars always seemed to know when I'd get some Overtime or a bonus.
Schools probably don't want you on the land because someone will sue them for it. The "It's too noisy" "It smells" "It's to dangerous" thing and everyone looking for a payday. I'm sure the school system knows they'll be part of a big lawsuit if an incident occurred and they found out you had their permission.
Old 01-06-2024, 04:17 AM
AJ Sun

Gee Clean never thought of that. Tort has its limitations, I spoke with AMA legal about this and they told me I was Covered. I also have a blanket policy, many call it an Umbrella policy that covers up to a million. I don’t get dizzy flying, my limit in flying is my Arthritis. It’s getting pretty bad even with the meds I take. The pull could be adjusted flying 049, I have a Little toot and a Ambroad Maverick, but I prefer my larger 35 powered planes. I know and realize my future is short, and may just go to building and not fly. Even doing a lot of my own maintenance on our cars is getting expensive. My wife hit a road barricade In Tennessee, did not think it did any damage, ​​​a month later I was changing the oil, and seen all this busted broken plastic. I’ve spent about 10 grand fixing all the damage. So I hear ya. To talk to her about what really happened, it just popped in front of my car. Okay I totally understand you need a new car! How did I get off on this! This is about the circle! Enjoy your posting, AJ.
Clean (01-06-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 06:29 AM
AJ Sun

Gene 6029 I was Studing your oriental photos. And noticed your wing ribs. They are solid on that right wing. Compaired to the Bell Crank Lead Out holes on your left wing. Did your design help with the counter weight? And was that on the original Oriental?