Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

autopilot

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 04:05 PM
coolhandz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autopilot

I dont know if this is the right forum for this post. but i have built an aircraft, and i want to make it fly autonomously. are any of you using any of these labtop based autopilot programs out there. are they crap? or do some of them work well. which ones are the best. thanx
Old 10-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: autopilot

ORIGINAL: coolhandz

I dont know if this is the right forum for this post. but i have built an aircraft, and i want to make it fly autonomously. are any of you using any of these labtop based autopilot programs out there. are they crap? or do some of them work well. which ones are the best. thanx

Are you asking about some kind of CONTROL-LINE model flying by itself? You don't need an autopilot to tether fly a CL model.

If you are into the RC or just looking for a computer controlled machine, may I suggest that you review the AMA's new 2004 Safety Code which prohibits autonomous flight equipment.
If not AMA, you may be well advised that this requirement is mainly a derivative of requirements of Home Security Dept. and might not be worth the hobbyist's pursuit.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:24 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hoss:

So long as it's tethered it is not autonomous, by definition. Autonomous requires totally free flight.

Bill.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:33 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

May I suggest an "Otto" pilot...as used in the movie "Airplane" ?

George
Old 10-09-2003, 09:45 PM
coolhandz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, i am looking for a labtop controlled unit that is fully autonomous without a tether. basically the equip on the plane transmits position, velocity, and acceleration to the computer. the software reads this and sends a set of controls continuosly to the aircraft to follow certain missions via waypoints setup in the computer.

Anyone used any of these systems. If so how do they work, which ones are the best?
Old 10-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yup Coolhandz, that would be the specific cruise missle information that the department of home defense would like to talk to you about. Also, it would have nothing to do with control line unless you are looking at some kind of fiber optic system like a TOW missle, in which case the same department would really like to talk to you.

Strange though, you and I can't do anything with an autopilot vehicle, but the former AMA president can fiddle around with it so he can go across the pond to Ireland with a model. Guess its all in who you know.