Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Why is CL losing popularity?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Why is CL losing popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 10:16 AM
jehold66203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why is CL losing popularity?

You hit the nail on the head. What helps any facit of model airplanes is having somebody that is enthusiastic and willing to give of their time to promote it. Now I am retired will be trying to get more people into control line. While working I missed a lot of contests and flying times, because I was forced to work weekends. Even then I had a few that would join me after I got off work(worked midnight shift) on Saturday mornings. Then bad weather hit and they were fair weather flyers. A club can go along way in promoting anything with the right leadership. Keep up good work. DOC
Old 02-27-2005, 05:24 AM
jolllyroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i flew an .049 CL model once when i was a kid an old timer was at our fiel one day flying control line. we watched as he zoomed a couple feet above the ground and did all the patterns. I fly to relieve stress and any thing that takes complete concentration takes my mind off the days wor like right now. I wen't out a week ago and bought an 049 powered cox hyper viper...........wow 44 bucks and im in business qwith everything i need but fuel. And let me tell you that first loop that ended inces from the ground gave me the thrill that RC hasn't in years and i fly inverted down the runway dragging my tail in rc.
With the hyper Viper I'm never more than 35 ft from a crash where as in rc you do a low inverted pass then push to the sky to safety to relax a min b 4 doing sopme other hairy manuever. Control line is far more fun and I look forward to making a foam winged control liner for my neighbor so we can go have combat together. I can only imagine what excitement iit will be to have two planes in the circle with no more than 70 ft between them at most and sometimes making contact. I can't wait to cut my first streamer. I'm 42 and know several kids 15 to 20 that would love to do rc as well as control line. even as cheap as RC is today there are lots of kids who can't afford it but could swing a piece of faom some tin for a bell crAnk some fishing string and a little $20 motor that can be crashed straight down and be fired right back up for the next flight.....(Cox Motors are the toughest i have EVER SEEN) If they crash they build another plane like i did from pine sticks and news paper sprayed with krylon. The biggest expense in CL is the motor and most of the are nearly as tough as the little Cox motors........as long as it costs 5 to 10 percent of the cost of rc it will be popular because it is low and fsat and exciting........and i was just going to say i like CL .....I must be hooked more than I thought LOL CL FOREVER
Old 02-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I presume you have all read the article on the electric stunter in the latest Model Aviation. Electric in CL is moving right along.

Jim
Old 02-27-2005, 01:13 PM
yellowrv

Jollyroger,

I agree with you on the toughness of the Hyper Viper and i't's Cox engine. I've planted mine staight in 4 times, broke the wing in half, but the engine has firedc right up after repairs. I've found that on 30 ft. line mine tends to get a little slack even with the stock outboard wt. and rudder offset. I'm waiting on line connectors so I can fly my OS powered flite streak.

Rickster
Old 03-03-2005, 04:42 PM
kyle_perkins

Hello,

I am 16, and have been flying 1/2 A CL planes since I was 11. I haven't had time to fly for a year or so, but am getting back into it, and am going to start flying larger CL aircraft. I realize that the golden age of control line flying is over, it seems, but by all means it is not dead. The world speed record for CL planes was broken just a while ago (check out the website: [link=http://www.privett.plus.com/record/control_line.htm]http://www.privett.plus.com/record/control_line.htm[/link]) in a very strange plane, I might add. But, anyway, I think control line is still a great hobby, because you aren't just moving around a joystick, sitting in a lawn chair. You can feel the plane, and essentially you are a part of that plane. And, if you screw up in your little "hemispherical area," you crash, and it's your fault. No electronics to blame.

Keep 'em flying,
Kyle
Old 03-04-2005, 07:45 PM
J3FAN

I could NOT fly UC when I was 13......(.dropdown DIZZY.)....and I STILL can't fly in a constant circle at age 67......even with JIM THOMERSON's kind and patient help.
What I disagree with is the apparent need by some to COMPARE the two disciplines.
This kind of debate only starts a vicious circle of non-sequiturs.
Do not compare APPLES to ORANGES....
Both use a MODEL AIRPLANE.......
then STOP comparing right there
Both ACTIVITIES are their own reason for being.
To each his own.
Most of these entries in this thread ( to me ) sound silly and fatuous.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:02 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Models is models.

George
Old 03-05-2005, 06:12 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

George:

ORIGINAL: gcb
Models is models.
Not so, sir.

Look at a "Powers" model, she looks like a toothpick. Now look at the "Swinsuit" issue. Are you saying they are all the same?

Haw. Sorry, this one I couldn't resist.

Bill.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:27 PM
clguru
My Feedback: (5)

I fly both control line and Imac airplanes competitively.
Your post was WAY OFF BASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Giant Imac airplanes are generally operated by the MOST experienced pilots out there, and to correct you about noise wich is'nt really an issue anyway. I have a desert aircraft DA 100 that measures 97 thats 97 Db at the allotted distance.
I have a RO-JETT barstock 65 that comes in at 98 DB. So STOP posting hatred filled posts about your fellow modeling Brothers, unless you fully understand what your saying.

Dan
Old 03-05-2005, 10:40 PM
William Robison

Dan:

To whom did you address your remarks?

PM or email if you wish - I didn't find a post that really merited yours.

Thanks.

Bill.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:04 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr. Robinson, I was about to ask the same thing. About the only reference to noise was one or two posts mentioning CL flyers are the most resistant to using mufflers. Nothing about IMAC, who over the last couple of years have started phasing in a noise standard, at least for competition.
Sounds like CLGURU skipped threads someplace.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Phlip

If you click the link in the lower right corner of his post where it says "In reply to Clean" you'll be teleported right to the post he's referring to. Amazing thing, this internet.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:19 AM
William Robison

Thanks, Flip. I didn't even think about using the reference, most people just use the quick reply and that just takes you back to the post preceding.

His fuss was with post #4 in this thread, 108 posts before his, and ten months old.

Why now?

Bill.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:41 AM
50+AirYears

I see it now. I've only scanned over it about 4 times and missed it all 4.
As far as noise not being an issue, we had several complaints from people at our old field about noise, and were able to handle their complaints. Rotated our runway about 12 degrees, instituted a mandatory muffler rule for anything .09 and larger, and started enforcing the "No Flying Before" rule. Lost a copuple people because of the muffler rule.
The non-IMAC people were impressed with the almost professionalism and safety orientation of the IMAC crowd who attended a contest we sponsored a couple years ago. The CDs enforced the I think it was 97 db at whatever distance, including measuring at all 4 points. However, we are not impressed with some of the big engine guys who try to tell us that 105 db at 100 feet (actual measurement, in the air, about 50 ft altitude) is quieter than a 60 at 95 db at 9 feet. And we really get upset with the guys who try to cheat with the low priced headers which only redirect the noise so that when they get the exhaust tubes pointed at you from over 100 ft, it hurts in your eye sockets, eardrums, and bones (threshold of pain is what, 140 db?).
Most of the local CL group seems to have accepted mufflers for most engines now.
Anyway, I'm encouraged by the growth in not only our local CL group, but also by the reports of growth in groups in other states, and the recent increase in the availability of kits on the market from people like Brodak, Sig, RSM, the 2 ARFs from Tower, a mostly RC outlet, and a couple others.
CLGURU, you say your DA meets the 97 db standard at the accepted distance? That's good. Keep up the good work. Most of the IMAC crowd seems to be this responsible. Don't forget though, it's human nature to try to lump everybody in a group and paint them all according to the worst in that group. And while the irresponsible might be only a small part of the larger group, they are the ones everybody notices. I hope you use your influence to try to get others you know who might not see the need for sound controls to change their minds. Be a model for the good guys. Remember, the writer of the post you're responding to may only have seen the mavericks and renegades.
BTW, even the electrics are not as quiet as my OHLGs.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

>>>>>I fly both control line and Imac airplanes competitively.
Your post was WAY OFF BASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Giant Imac airplanes are generally operated by the MOST experienced pilots out there, and to correct you about noise wich is'nt really an issue anyway. I have a desert aircraft DA 100 that measures 97 thats 97 Db at the allotted distance.
I have a RO-JETT barstock 65 that comes in at 98 DB. So STOP posting hatred filled posts about your fellow modeling Brothers, unless you fully understand what your saying.

Dan <<<<<

Whheeeellll, seem to have touched a nerve there didn't we. Went to about the biggest displacement we could on that CL engine to get up to 98 DB didn't we? Nope, cuzz I bet a Fox 59 is louder, or some of the sparky stuff. And, on a good day, it gets about 70 feet off the ground. This keeps the noise footprint exceptionally small as it does not get a chance to broadcast it's noise as an RC airplane can when it gets into the air several hundred feet or more, and believe me I've seen more. The biggest abusers may not be your example, but are direct ported, non muffled GAS IMAC style airplanes. Perhaps these guys were not up to your level of competition, perhaps the guys in my area have changed in the last 10 months and I wouldn't doubt that, but as you don't seem to know me or my area I think the best reply would have been that maybe I painted with to broad of a brush for your likeing. Tell ya one thing though, the next guy that hovers one of those in front of me without my permission will get his transmitter planted in his rear, and believe it or not, all you need is money to afford one of these and I've seen plenty of examples of that too. If you haven't, well good for you.

I also tend to post fairly tounge in cheek, so you may have missed any of that, but phrases like 'Holy Jesus' are usually key to me making big gestures for effect. Ya don't like it, ya don't get it? You get it but ya don't like it? Stick it. Last I knew everyone was entitled to their own opinion and I am not the only person to wonder what goes through the head of someone that thinks impressing people is walking up to a spinning, open face lawn mower in a hover and touching the tail. Just one glitch away from major disaster and YOU guys had to have rules put in place to discourage it.

Of course I've been known to fly RC combat from time to time and there is absolutely nothing wrong with aiming one airplane at the airspace directly behind another in order to get it's streamer. Sure, there are mid-airs from time to time but there's nothing dangerous about that is there? See, more of that humour thing, gotta watch out for it.

Don't know WHAT I'm talking about, Don't know WHO your talking about. I'm a bad man, I'm a bad man.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:43 AM
clguru

I'm just saying that you should not bash anybody for the type of modeling they do.
People who fly giant scale planes won't get airplanes banned. That is just your opinion because you don't like those kind of planes. In the end it is just baseless anyway.

Dan
Old 03-09-2005, 11:00 AM
50+AirYears

No type of plane is going to get flying banned. It will only be the careless flyer, the person with the chip on the shoulder, the one with no concern or respect for others, the ones who ignore safe flying, the ones who have no hesitation to fly over other's property, the ones who ignore methods to effectively muffle engines, the ones who ignore frequency control, who will get flying banned. The maverick, the hell with everbody else type. like the way hunters in our area shootin at houses and barns, and even pets, or who shoot at sounds without verifying whats making them that got hunting or even target shooting banned in our county. People who endanger or inconvenience everyone around them.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 AM
clguru

There is always one too many of those HUH!!!

Dan
Old 03-09-2005, 11:16 AM
50+AirYears

Even if he's the only one!
Old 03-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Clean

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

No win scenario for me here guys. My posts, too glib, my intent, just yacking. Had we been face to face, you're back wouldn't have been up. I'm not backing down from my position, I just don't seem to be able to confer to you what that is, nor would I be able too for you at this point. Hey it happens, and it's mostly my fault. I did have to wait and see just who you were talking about, found out it was me and thought that was interesting.

Anyways, hope we'll meet under nicer circumstances.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:43 PM
50+AirYears

Heck, I just try to look at groups of people as 90-10. I think of myself as being in the 90%. In post 117, I'm talking about the 10%. I try not to place anybody I haven't met in the 10% group until they prove they belong there. Sometimes, I even find a group that looks like 96-4. It's a lot easier to sort people out this way in face-to-face rather than in this type of correspondance. That's why at work I'll walk over to someone else's cubical or office before I'll phone or E-mail.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:04 AM
cltom

ORIGINAL: Clean

No win scenario for me here guys. My posts, too glib, my intent, just yacking. Had we been face to face, you're back wouldn't have been up. I'm not backing down from my position, I just don't seem to be able to confer to you what that is, nor would I be able too for you at this point. Hey it happens, and it's mostly my fault. I did have to wait and see just who you were talking about, found out it was me and thought that was interesting.

Anyways, hope we'll meet under nicer circumstances.
I always knew you were a troublemaker!

cltom aka TomB
Old 03-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

This sure got interesting. I don't think CL is losing popularity, maybe to RC it is but not overall. I fly both RC and CL and lately it has been CL. Why? This winter I got bored after building 2 new scale RC planes. In the corner of my shop where four OLD CL planes I first started flying when I was a kid and I'm 56 now. Broken tail feathers, tore covering, etc. I mean they were in bad shape sitting and being moved from house to house. So I started working on them and getting them to look like new. Three of the planes had the old Fox 35 and one plane has a 29 I don't have any idea of who made it. No name on motor. Anyway, to make this short, they fly great. The engines after being loosened up ran as new. When as a kid I always tried to do a outside loop but never did it, crashing and gluing the plane back together. Well, I tried it again and I did it. Then I started to do figure 8's, etc. It took over 35 years to do but I got it done and was I happy. I even got a little braver and ended up doing a figure 7 1/2, burying the nose in 6" of mud. Out came the glue and I was in the air again in no time. As for the noise problem, I was concerned about that. I fly in a school yard close to houses and I know the noise must bother them so I put mufflers on all the planes. Today I received two new Fox 35's from Tower with mufflers for planes I bought on EBay. I had bought on EBay a RC profile Corsair that I converted to CL and I'm trimming that one out now. I have a three wire system, one wire to control the throttle. Now that was a challenge building.
Maybe CL is not as popular as RC but the kids who watch me fly CL won't believe that. Not anymore then when I was a kid. That's now I got started, by watching a guy in a wheelchair fly CL many, many years ago in the same school yard. Now I hope some day some young kid watches me and takes up the sport and remembers me as I remember that wheelchair guy today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88570.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	244537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78168.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	244538  
Old 09-17-2005, 10:25 AM
oldgit1

well i,m new to control line flying ,
i have had radio control in the past , but was never that good at it ,
so gave it up, but C/L is the way for me as i only like the odd casual flight , and i like to tinker with model engines etc , now i can do all that without all the expence and hasle of radio equipment ,,long live C/L flying ..
Old 09-19-2005, 06:13 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't have put in any better than that Oldgit1, I have a small collection of engines I love running and fettling, the planes are fun and fast to build and no frequency dramas. C/L is great...........John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.