Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

anyone recognise this spitfire

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

anyone recognise this spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
sir crashallot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone recognise this spitfire

bought a spit of ebay clearly in need of severe atention. does anyone one know of the kit or who made a plan for this as im intrested on rebuilding the rear of the fus and repairing the wing and mrestoring it to its former glory. any info would be great ps it is powered by a fox 35 also some info on that engine would be helpfull

just noticed also it says kiel kraft on the wheels
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38566.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1133687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18560.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1133688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40136.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1133689  
Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
icerinkdad

Default RE: anyone recognise this spitfire

Sterling made a kit many years ago for a stunt spitfire. I do not think that there were full size plans in the kit but it is possible that someone has since done plans. The era is about right.
Bob
Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 PM
sir crashallot

i have searched google till am blue in the face and if i remember the sterling kit didnt have asmany ribs in the wing and the wing wasnt so fat, this wing is what you would normaly find on a 3d funfly as its 2 inch thick
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SirC,

Tony Elmore, in the UK, has a great site with scans of stunt model feature articles from AeroModeller and the old Ian Allen Model Aircraft magazines. One published design I saw there had the very deep airfoil unfortunately displayed in your photos. The size overall also fits that Spitfire. Try this site - if I've copied it correctly -

http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co...s/_cat001.html

If the link automatically underlines, there is an underscore between the final foward slash and "cat001.html."

A very interesting site!

Luck!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:05 PM
sir crashallot

thank you i have found it
http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co.../spitfire.html
so it was 1960's it was built[X(]
Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 AM
cutaway

I have one of the Sterling ones awaiting resurrection/rebuilding/refinishing that's got to be around 45 years old that someone else (roughly) built. It had a fully sheeted wing as designed if I'm recalling text from the Sterling boxes correctly.

The rudder on the Sterling kit looks fairly scale in proportion to the wing, the stab is clearly enlarged.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 AM
sir crashallot

im not a fan of control line sorry guyes but im impressed by the way it was built. i am starting a complete rebuild of it as we speak and soon will be creating a rebuild thread over in rc airplanes. i will be converting it to rc and hopefully giving it a complete new lease of life
the ingine thats in was locked up solid due to the castor oil drying and gluing the engine solid. but i will be returning the fox 35 back to the sairframe when its been fully rebuilt and converted
Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 AM
greggles47

Your assumption that it is that model has another connection. The pics you have posted show WW2 Australian markings, and the model you found in Aeromodeller Dec 1960 was designed by an Aussie, Geoff Pentland.

I've heard it said that this is the best flying Spit of all. Please show pics of your restoration. If you're going to RC it are you going to add dihedral to the wing?
Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 AM
greggles47

Your assumption that it is that model has another connection. The pics you have posted show WW2 Australian markings, and the model you found in Aeromodeller Dec 1960 was designed by an Aussie, Geoff Pentland.

I've heard it said that this is the best flying Spit of all. Please show pics of your restoration. If you're going to RC it are you going to add dihedral to the wing?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 AM
sir crashallot

wow now theres a lesson when i went on google last night to check the markings there where lots of info about it refering it as part of the aussi squadrons, when i search for zp-r the markings on the model i have it brings up A58- somthing cant exactly remember but when i search for A58-717 which is what is n the tail it again comes up with somthind different but both numbers that give both planes identification where both australian. now im not sure why this is but i really whant it to go back out into the air with its origional markings.
secondly whern removing the decals the paint underneath with silver and the outer uncovered parts are faded a slightly dirty green. now would this spit have been silver?,
all in all i find that the plane is very scale looking regarding the fuselage but the wings rib section is not that of a normal spit id normaly find this wing rip secton used itn a 3d model which made me wonder i bet this could be real fun to fly.

So far i have managed to seperate the fuselage from the wing (nightmare), was able to remove the metal fuel tank which on the outside was imaculate but upon opening to check condition of thi inside found out it was very rusty.
managed to clear allot of the damaged sheeting away and gone further back accross the center of the wing to be able to refit new wing sheeting but also to add strength. every rib on the damaged wing from the center to the start of wing rib 2 has been damage and will need replacing. thats a taotle of 5 ribs that need recuting and fiting then the other wing requires 2 being patched up as there slightly crumpled from misshandling the plane. iv cleared the broken spar from the center to the damaged area. need to work out how far im going to replace the spars into the undamaged section f the broken wing. decided im going to extend the wing brace about 2 inch to be able to support the repaired area.

fusealage one side is severaly damaged and will need fully rebuilding from behind the cockpit right back to the tail, the other side is broken off were the fin starts. iv srtarted to clear balsa wood on the damaged side and is now siting with a great big arrow cut in the side of the fuselage spreading over 2 formers(why) because i can cut the new side to sit into the arrow and there be allot more area of gluing surface to make a nice strong repair and the formers there will help hold it and make it like new. a friend of mine on here told me to lengthen the tail slightly as it seemed too short which i think he is correct so il be lengthening it by 2 inch max. i also have to repair where i had to cut out the fuel tank. aswell as take some photos and i think il keep the rebuild on here for you guys, Just a shame im not making it control line but i guess i might be the first to make this paticular design rc il be back on tonight and il put some photos up to show you the progress but the progress will be slow as im in the process of building a large workshop for the modelling as my girlfriend is geting tyred of triping over models and parts and so forth
Old 02-15-2009, 12:36 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sir Crash,

The model is painted as a scale Spitfire. The original builder took some pains to paint it in an authentic scheme and probably used a 60's dated drawing to get the markings. Some scale drawings are not exactly correct, even today, so the serial not matching the code isn't too suprising.

Many British fighters were painted silver in the CBI, the Aus/NZ Spitfires may have been silver too. Or it may have been artistic license by the builder. The greenish color may have been applied after the decals were added, or some reaction with air over time.

This is a Control Line Precision Aerobatic model. It was designed to perform all of the maneuvers in the F2B event schedule. The model needs to have a very tight corner to perform this pattern within the hemisphere of C/L flight created by the 60 to 70 foot control lines and the 5 foot level flight requirements. Therefore the model has a thick, aerobatic, non-scale wing section. This is very typical of C/L Aerobatic models. 3D R/C benefits directly from many designers having been old C/Liners, or found the designs with thick wings flown by those that were desireable for 3D.

C/L models do not need as long of a tail moment to be stable as an R/C model, necessarily. But many of the larger ones do have longer moments than these Classic designs from the sixties. The speed in which CLPA models fly is a lot of the reason, as well as them being made to change direction in a small space. Typically a CLPA model goes about 55 mph.

Notice that the model with engine, tank and everything for flight probably weighs 45 oz or less. This is very typical of C/L competition models. For instance my 770 sq in model weighs 64 oz. The structure is light and strong for flight, but not for crashing or landing in the rocks and weeds like your typical R/C model. If you keep it light, and power it with something reasonable like a 25, it'll be a nice 3D job that you can do stuff right in front of you. Unlike a Fun Fly, arrowshaft body 3D'er, it'll be junk if you hit the ground with it because it's old, brittle and built with 4 to 6 pound density balsa!

Neat model, have fun.

Chris...