Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Need a fuel tank for my new balsa airplane.

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Need a fuel tank for my new balsa airplane.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM
seascape2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a fuel tank for my new balsa airplane.

I am in the process of building an old balsa Nobler U-control airplane and need a fuel tank for the completion of this build. The instruction sheet calls for one of three different fuel tanks: a Froom 21-C, a Kap-Pak #9, or a Darwin A-2. Does anyone out there know where I can find one of these old fuel tanks? Thnaks
Old 04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Need a fuel tank for my new balsa airplane.

I don't know about finding any of the above, but you can measure the space available on the plans and then try to find something here:

http://www.acmemodel.com/tanks.htm

The old line of brass tanks from Acme is still available and I think that when I built my last Nobler (probably 35 years ago .....) I used an Acme tank in it. I also remember that a friend built a green box Nobler and put a Fox 'Profile' 3 1/2 ounce tank in it which worked OK. (Those are the tall, narrow type.)

If you have to, you can probably figure a way to stuff a four ounce clunk tank in it ( round one should fit pretty easily - a slant type maybe if you stand it on it's side), and maybe even make it removable.

And of course, various metal tanks are available from Brodak, RSM, StukaStunt and other 'garage industry' sources.

Good luck,
Mike A
Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 PM
seascape2

Mike,
Thanks for the feedback, I will check these options and see what I can come up with.

Bob
Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob, if you don't come up with any suitable tanks through the web just let me know. I have a few of the old metal CL tanks myself, all usable, in the 2 - 6 ounce range, mostly for profile planes but some for in-fuse planes too. With the inside measurements I can probably come up with one for you.

Dave
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brodak sells a great deal of Control line supplies, kits and engines. Here is a link for tanks that might fit your needs.
http://www.brodak.com/shop_search.ph...arch=fuel+tank

Robert
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
stuntflyr

If you haven't glued the top block onto the nose yet, you can use a moto tool and grind a 45 into the motor mounts in the tank area (this moves the fuel pick-up line out of the tank upward to line up with the needle valve assy, very important in c/l) and install an RST-4 4 oz round plastic tank with a clunk like an r/c set-up. You can use pressure from the muffler on a separate clunk in the tank, or solder a tube to the clunk inboard of the clunk pick-up hole. Either way make the pressure 1/4" to 3/8th's" forward of the fuel pick-up. I use this on all of my c/l models in which they will fit and it works very well.
I'm using one in my Gieseke Nobler with a Fox 35.
Chris...
Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 PM
seascape2

Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I use to fly c/l planes when I was a kid some 40 plus years ago and starting to get back into it again. I am not sure I understand some of your terminology. For example, crank, or cutting a 45. Can you elaborate a little more so I can better understand your email. Bob
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
seascape2

dave,

Thanks for the feedback, the fuel compartment in the plane are as follows: H:2", W:1 3/4", and L:4". If you can recommend something that might fit, i would appreciate it. Bob
Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
stuntflyr

Sure Bob,
If the top block is still off, you can use your moto-tool with the sanding drum and cut a 45 degree angle into the motor mount material in the area where tank will mount. I did mine after the fuse was assembled and carefully came in from the top angling the moto-tool bit so it cut the square motor mount beams from the inboard high to outboard low orientation from fuselage centerline. The 45 degree angle will allow the round cross section of the fuel tank to fit up into the model' s side view vertical dimension high enough to make the fuel tank plug with the fuel tubing exiting the tank level the same height as the needle valve assembly (NVA). On stunt models, the engine will run the same speed inverted and upright only if the fuel tank pick-up tube is on the same level as the NVA.

I don't see where I used the term "crank" but the term "clunk" is used many times. That is the heavy metal part used at the end of the fuel tubing inside the fuel tank to make sure the fuel tubing is where the fuel is in the tank, using good old gravity. I use two clunks, one for the pressure line and one for the fuel pick-up line. The fuel pick-up line is all the way to the rear of the tank, almost but not quite touching the back wall of the tank. The pressure line is cut so it's 1/4 to 3/8's inches shorter than that.
The fuel lines are oriented so that the pick-up line is in the most outboard position meaning where gravity will throw it during C/L flight.

I think the round Sullivan 4 ounce tank wil fit easily in the area you have posted.

Chris...
Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
seascape2

Chris,

Thanks for the explanations, I will look to see if I can find a Sullivan 4 oz fuel tank.

Bob
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM
cutaway

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/tanks-06.htm

These GRW's are equivalent to the mentioned Frooms