RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Starting a P-40 By Brodak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/11250980-starting-p-40-brodak.html)

Don B.H. 10-04-2012 12:55 PM

Starting a P-40 By Brodak

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this in.
A .19 size P-40

BtnFlyGuy 10-04-2012 03:30 PM

RE: Starting a P-40 By Brodak

That workbench is way too tidy...

dennis 10-04-2012 04:50 PM

It's on the small side and even a Brodak 15 is large for the model. A good Norvel 074 or OS10 will fly it really well without excessive speed or weight.

Dennis

Don B.H. 10-05-2012 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, BTN flyguy the work bench is neat... But if you look at the last photo you will see the mess in the background......
Dennis the Magnum .15 XLS fits right in there and I ordered a O.S. Venturi fot it. The Magnum .15 with a OS .25 Venturi and needle will turn 20,000 rpms and it sips fuel so 2 Oz. will run it 4 minuts or more.
I will run it rich with a 8 X 3 prop and that should get me in the 50 MPH range.

paw080 10-06-2012 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Don B.H.

Yes, BTN flyguy the work bench is neat... But if you look at the last photo you will see the mess in the background......
Dennis the Magnum .15 XLS fits right in there and I ordered a O.S. Venturi fot it. The Magnum .15 with a OS .25 Venturi and needle will turn 20,000 rpms and it sips fuel so 2 Oz. will run it 4 minuts or more.
I will run it rich with a 8 X 3 prop and that should get me in the 50 MPH range.

Hi Don, Dennis is right, the wing area is WAY too small for even a .15 anything. It'll fly with your

.15 Magnum. However, the performance will be less than stellar, because of the very high wing

loading of your finished model. You'll surely need to add tail weight to move the CG to optimal

performance. The Brodak model is a re-kit of the Sterling line which also featured a profile ME-109.

I eyeballed this model from a Sterling kit and estimated the wing area to be around 140 sq"s.

I fly a Ringmaster Jr (195 sq" wing) that is powered by a PAW .049 diesel, it literally flys like a combat

model on 44' X .008" lines, and it is going 54mph. It weighs 7.125 ozs ready to fly sans fuel. It flys an entire

stunt pattern with 1/2 oz of fuel.

With all that being said, I do like your model, and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun for you.

Tony

Don B.H. 10-06-2012 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: paw080

Hi Don, Dennis is right, the wing area is WAY too small for even a .15 anything. It'll fly with your

.15 Magnum. However, the performance will be less than stellar, because of the very high wing

loading of your finished model. You'll surely need to add tail weight to move the CG to optimal

performance. The Brodak model is a re-kit of the Sterling line which also featured a profile ME-109.

I eyeballed this model from a Sterling kit and estimated the wing area to be around 140 sq"s.

I fly a Ringmaster Jr (195 sq" wing) that is powered by a PAW .049 diesel, it literally flys like a combat

model on 44' X .008" lines, and it is going 54mph. It weighs 7.125 ozs ready to fly sans fuel. It flys an entire

stunt pattern with 1/2 oz of fuel.

With all that being said, I do like your model, and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun for you.

Tony

Hello!Tony, I have the Ringmaster Jr and I have the ME109 on order.
So do you think the .09 would be better for these models? I don't even see .09 engines listed anywhere.
OS has a .10 LA for RC

greggles47 10-07-2012 01:09 AM

=

At 50mph the poor thing will be dropping out of the air.

A smallish wing like that needs to have some airspeed around 70mph before it begins to operate in any sort of competent manner.

I build what we call 2.5 (.15) Slow combat models. At least 44" span and 8" chord. It still flies relatively fast, but will turn tight and doesnt slow down when asked to perform.

Regards

Greg

dennis 10-07-2012 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: greggles47

=

Greg,

With wing area about the same as a jr Ringmaster it doesn't have to go 70 MPH or it will drop out of the air. I have 2 of the Jr Rings with OS10FP on them and fly with 55 ft .012 line. The both of them are quite capable of doing most anything you would want to do even a 4 leaf clover. Speed is more then adaquate. Prop is a 7/5 APC and a Rev-up 7/6 narrow respectively. Haven't used a 15 on any of the old designs as it simply isn't necessary. and weight and balance are real factors so equiped. Brodak apparently was making them for his 15 but really could have made much better choices then these 2 models. As I said a Norvel .074 will fly these models well if kept light and the 049 on an appropriately built model would probably be a nice sport model . For reference there have been several contest Ringmaster S-1 models powered with 15's. Modern engines are light years ahead of the old powerplants we had 50 years ago.
If Don has an 09 and wants to fly with it,it will be a very good sport model. an Enya 09 would be very good and they make 3 different models.All are available as C/l engines.
A smallish wing like that needs to have some airspeed around 70mph before it begins to operate in any sort of competent manner.

I build what we call 2.5 (.15) Slow combat models. At least 44'' span and 8'' chord. It still flies relatively fast, but will turn tight and doesnt slow down when asked to perform.

Regards

Greg

greggles47 10-07-2012 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: dennis

ORIGINAL: greggles47

=

Greg,

With wing area about the same as a jr Ringmaster it doesn't have to go 70 MPH or it will drop out of the air. I have 2 of the Jr Rings with OS10FP on them and fly with 55 ft .012 line. The both of them are quite capable of doing most anything you would want to do even a 4 leaf clover. Speed is more then adaquate. Prop is a 7/5 APC and a Rev-up 7/6 narrow respectively. Haven't used a 15 on any of the old designs as it simply isn't necessary. and weight and balance are real factors so equiped. Brodak apparently was making them for his 15 but really could have made much better choices then these 2 models. As I said a Norvel .074 will fly these models well if kept light and the 049 on an appropriately built model would probably be a nice sport model . For reference there have been several contest Ringmaster S-1 models powered with 15's. Modern engines are light years ahead of the old powerplants we had 50 years ago.
If Don has an 09 and wants to fly with it,it will be a very good sport model. an Enya 09 would be very good and they make 3 different models.All are available as C/l engines.

I build what we call 2.5 (.15) Slow combat models. At least 44'' span and 8'' chord. It still flies relatively fast, but will turn tight and doesnt slow down when asked to perform.

Regards

Greg

Dennis,

You pays your money & you can do what you like.

I know what I like & it works for me, good luck to anyone who has different recipe for their fun.

G

Don B.H. 10-07-2012 05:20 AM

So it looks like I am buildinga GOOD YEAR RACER class plane as this is the sizeI put .15 s onin 1984.
but i think they were going faster then 70 mph.... If I had an .09 I would use it............. I do have a box of .049
and I do have a Gilbert .070.............................................. ..............................

The Buster and the Shoestring racer, go fast and burn circles.....

gcb 10-07-2012 07:09 AM

So it looks like I am building a GOOD YEAR RACER class plane as this is the size I put .15 s on in 1984.
but i think they were going faster then 70 mph.... If I had an .09 I would use it............. I do have a box of .049
and I do have a Gilbert .070.............................................. ..............................

The Buster and the Shoestring racer, go fast and burn circles.....
First, forget the .049's and the Gilbert .07. Matt Kania designed the kit for a .15 of the mid 1950's. The .15's available during that time included the OK Cub .14, K&B .15, Cameron .15, and finally the Fox .15. They were just starting to import foreign engines.

As you have surmised a good .10 of today has more power than those, and because of the muffler, more weight. If you put a .15 on it you will probably need to add tail weight for an even higher wing loading. I would go with the .10.

Of course your plane, your choice. Good luck either way.

George

paw080 10-07-2012 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: gcb

First, forget the .049's and the Gilbert .07. Matt Kania designed the kit for a .15 of the mid 1950's. The .15's available during that time included the OK Cub .14, K&B .15, Cameron .15, and finally the Fox .15. They were just starting to import foreign engines.

As you have surmised a good .10 of today has more power than those, and because of the muffler, more weight. If you put a .15 on it you will probably need to add tail weight for an even higher wing loading. I would go with the .10.

Of course your plane, your choice. Good luck either way.

George

Hi George, Those models will fly well with a LIGHT weight .09. The Ringmaster Jr

showed a Cub .099 and a Torp .09 and a Torp .15 engine on the original plans.

My first Ring Jr was powered with a Cub .099. The Cub weighed only 1.77 ozs.

It flew very well on 35' X .012" lines. It actually was full pattern capable; but

that was in 1954, so I wasn't. A friend of mine flew a complete stunt pattern

with it in 1956. This experience prodded me(over 35 years later) to start using

smaller than suggested engines for the Jr. My first smaller displacement model

used an AM 10(1.0cc) diesel. It flew magnificently on 40' X .008" lines. The next

models used PAW .049 diesels, I did cut a bunch of pork by slimming the

fuselage, reduced stab and fin area and subsituted the empannage with "C" grain

3/32" sheet. Oh yes, I shortened the nose to accomodate CG and tank size.

The PAW .049s have more power than the AM 10 and are a bit lighter. The Paw .049

will fly a stock Jr with careful attention to weight and wood choices.

My last two Jrs weighed 7.125 and 7.25 ozs, ready to fly sans fuel. I don't remember

what my 1954 Jr weighed, but my late 1980's(stock kit) AM 10 model weighs 9.8-10.1 ozs

depending on prop used. I fly the latest Jrs on 44' X .008" lines. Yes, I agree to forget

about using his .049s and the Gilbert .07.

Tony

paw080 10-07-2012 07:59 AM

[/quote]

Hello! Tony, I have the Ringmaster Jr and I have the ME109 on order.
So do you think the .09 would be better for these models? I don't even see .09 engines listed anywhere.
OS has a .10 LA for RC
[/quote]

Hi Don, just consider the .09's as .10s, most .09s were really .099 cu"s. Look around for .10's from

Enya or OS 10 with control line venturis on ebay or even advertise in you local hobby shop. I do not

recommend going the diesel route, because I suspect you have no experience with them. also

consider 1.0 cc(.061cu"s) and .07 cu" engines.

Tony

Jim Thomerson 10-07-2012 11:32 AM

I built and flew a Ringmaster Jr with a Torp 15 back around 1960. I didn't fly the pattern then, but did lots of lazy 8's. As I recall I flew it on lines advertised as 52.5 feet. the comment about most USA 09's being like .099 is true. The exceptions, 1.5cc, are the Cox 09s and the Johnson Bulldog 09.

dennis 10-07-2012 01:18 PM

I flew my first Jr Ringmaster in the mid fifties with a Cub 15 which was pitiful on power as anyone my age can attest to. Next was the Fox Rocket 15 steel fin. This was no world beater but it was better then the Cub and at 3 oz was not excessively heavy. About the same as the Torp15.Todays small engines are light years ahead of 1950's technology and is reflected by the smaller better engines that are now available. I have no urge to relive the old days engine wise but it is really fun to fly the old designs with the power to make them perform like the designers would have liked them to have. Thankfully as I said this time smaller is better.

Dennis

Don B.H. 10-07-2012 01:34 PM

I just ordered the OS .10LAas it is half the weight of the Magnum XLS.
OS.10LAis bushing and the Mag is a bearing engine, so half the weight close tosame rpm and prop.
My first plane was flowen in the late 50's but my Dad flew it as I was to little, about 8.

dennis 10-08-2012 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Both of these are OS10FP powered. You will be well satisfied with your choice

Don B.H. 10-08-2012 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You see what I am working on along with the P-40..

I realy like the red and white checker board ringmaster you have..............

BtnFlyGuy 10-08-2012 11:15 AM

What guage/length lines do you use on the Ringmaster JR? I have an Enya .09 to put in mine.

paw080 10-08-2012 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: BtnFlyGuy

What guage/length lines do you use on the Ringmaster JR? I have an Enya .09 to put in mine.

Hi Guy, .012" will be perfect. If you are very careful, .008" lines would be even better.

The problem with .008" lines is that they are easily kinked and damaged. Line length can

be 45' to 52' for your .09 model.

My 1.0cc diesel Ring Jr model originaly flew on 35' X .012" lines because I had a lot of

1/2A Combat lines left over. Later I changed to 44' X .008" lines for this and subsequent

PAW .049 diesel powered Jrs; the models flew much better. I am referring to stranded cable

when I say lines.

Tony

BtnFlyGuy 10-08-2012 04:14 PM

Thanks for the input, Tony. I picked up a set of .012X35' lines at a swap meet and a RMJr as well. Ihope the lines aren't too short.

paw080 10-08-2012 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Hi Dennis as a fun comparison, here is my Ringmaster Jr (much modified) that is

PAW .049 powered. It flys beautifully and handles very much like a 1/2A Combat

model flying 10-12 mph slower. I have posted some pics in the Shoestring thread,

so I'll post some different ones here.

Tony

dennis 10-08-2012 06:40 PM

ORIGINAL: paw080

Hi Dennis as a fun comparison, here is my Ringmaster Jr (much modified) that is

PAW .049 powered. It flys beautifully and handles very much like a 1/2A Combat

model flying 10-12 mph slower. I have posted some pics in the Shoestring thread,

so I'll post some different ones here.

Tony

Tony,
Thats a nice set up and a good looking model. I have one origional Jr Ringmaster left and one new manufacture Pat King kit. The red&white is a Pat King kit, the silkspan yellow is an Estes. But the next one was going to have a Paw 061 simply because I like to use longer lines and 55 foot seems to work for me. Incidentally as you know newer manufactured kits have infinitely better wood then Sterling had in their offerings.

To Don,
The covering is Ultrakote red/white checkers covering. It's worth $26 a roll simply to not have to paint them on a model. They can be had from 1/2 inch to 4 inch. Also available in other colors.

Don B.H. 10-10-2012 02:10 PM

Wll in the first photo you see my old Enya .19VIand it fit then a I pulled out the Magnum .15XLS and refit the smaller engine now I am waiting for the new OS.10LA engines to get here. That is holding up 2 planes now this one and the Ringmaster Jr and now I need smaller lines, So I ordered some .12 cable 7 strand.
I have .15 by55 ft. but they will be to large I think....

I am doing all this because I want the stellar performance.....

paw080 10-10-2012 05:43 PM

Wll in the first photo you see my old Enya .19VI and it fit then a I pulled out the Magnum .15XLS and refit the smaller engine now I am waiting for the new OS.10LA engines to get here. That is holding up 2 planes now this one and the Ringmaster Jr and now I need smaller lines, So I ordered some .12 cable 7 strand.
I have .15 by 55 ft. but they will be to large I think....

Hi Don, Yeah, I think the 55' X .015" lines willl be too much drag for your OS .10 LA.

I have flown a T.D. .09 powered Jr Flite Streak on 52' X .012" lines before, it had plenty of

line tension, even during overhead stuff. Can you do me/us a favor and calculate a wing area

estimate for the P-40 model? I'm assuming the Brodak Me 109 kit would be about the same.

I'm blaming you for starting this thread, because now I'm seriously thinking of buying Brodak's

Me 109 repro kit. The wing area estimate will tell me what engine displacement range I can use

to power the model. I would likely do a bit of wood substitution, like I always do. :D

Thanks

Tony

Don B.H. 10-11-2012 03:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
6 inches at tip 8 inches at root 27 inches long. I come up with162sq. in.

I changed this as I put 17" long and it is 27" but the 162sq in should be a good #

paw080 10-11-2012 07:05 AM

Thanks, Don;

Tony

Don B.H. 10-11-2012 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guess what just got here?

dennis 10-11-2012 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Wll in the first photo you see my old Enya .19VI and it fit then a I pulled out the Magnum .15XLS and refit the smaller engine now I am waiting for the new OS.10LA engines to get here. That is holding up 2 planes now this one and the Ringmaster Jr and now I need smaller lines, So I ordered some .12 cable 7 strand.
I have .15 by 55 ft. but they will be to large I think....

The ton
Don,

This is a picture of an La 10 set up for C/L.
The venturi is from Jim Lee Machine shop and the Needled valve assembly is the now unobtainable assembly that OS used to make for the FP 10. The muffler is a custom unit by Scott Reise that also fits the LA and FP10/15 engines. The venturis are easy to obtain, the NVA's are unobtanium.

Dennis

aspeed 10-11-2012 02:40 PM

I wasn't following this thread but the AP .09 and .15 which is just an overbored .09 are still being made. They are much cheaper than OS stuff and almost as good.  I just flew my AP .15 with a homemade venturi/needle valve and it went pretty good. I got dizzy anyway.  A carb and needle need to be scrounged.  I have seen an .09 with a control line carb and needle, but don't know if they are still available.  A pressure fitting can be screwed in the top of an insert and a remote needle or whatever.  They are a BB rear exhaust which is kind of kool, and $35.

aspeed 10-11-2012 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The one with the black head is the .15 and the c/l needle and carb. The other one is the .09 with the muffler hole enlarged and a new stinger to allow it. I also made an exh. extension for a pipe or? They are kind of the new chinese Cox replacement IMHO.

Don B.H. 10-12-2012 10:17 AM

I will be wiring the carbs open on these 2 models...

paw080 10-12-2012 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: aspeed

The one with the black head is the .15 and the c/l needle and carb. The other one is the .09 with the muffler hole enlarged and a new stinger to allow it. I also made an exh. extension for a pipe or? They are kind of the new chinese Cox replacement IMHO.

Hi Aspeed, I believe the AP .09 and .15 are 4 1/2 oz and 5 oz engines. If that's true,

then they are way too heavy for the wing area of the Sterling repros and Ringmaster Jr.

Their performance would be seriously compromised by the heavy resulting wing loadings.

I think The AP .09 would work okay in a Flite Streak Jr or an Ackromaster and the AP .15

would do very well powering a Profile Peacemaker.

Tony

aspeed 10-12-2012 04:00 PM

Yes, I just weighed the .09 and it is 5.0 oz. without the muffler but with the rc carb.  The .15 would not weigh any more than the .09.  I like the Norvel .074 too. Just waiting for a project to put mine in.

Don B.H. 10-17-2012 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The OS .10LA is a good fit but the muffler is to big

Don B.H. 10-17-2012 04:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just kidding! She is ready to go...
This engine comes in at around 4.5oz with out muffler.
The plane comes in just under 13oz. RTF

Don B.H. 10-20-2012 01:58 PM

So no one else has this model ?

BtnFlyGuy 10-20-2012 03:45 PM

Not me,but I'm working on a Midwest .15-powered ME-109 (my second). It was my first "big plane" in 1973!
Justin

aspeed 10-20-2012 05:33 PM

That doesn't look like any of the mufflers my OS .10's have.  they are smaller dia. and about the same length with the little extention that comes with them.

Don B.H. 10-24-2012 12:54 PM

I know ... It was I joke , that is the muffler off my ASP .75

I am going to run this one straight pipes..