Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

trainer multi

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

trainer multi

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:21 AM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trainer multi

a couple of pics. Ive got a video of its maiden and crash. working on the link.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72792.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	566758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89587.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	566759  
Old 11-26-2006, 01:20 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: trainer multi

Very cool, looking forward to the video!

Just reread your post, its a dang shame it crashed! I forgot which forum I was in..Sorry again on the demise of such a cool plane!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:48 PM
stikman26

that looks cool, how far did ya get before it crashed? damn shame
Old 11-26-2006, 11:15 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

one bank of engines was stronger than the other. this caused some uncontrolable snaping. the crash did very little damage. the wing got gouged by the rubber bands and that was it. the plane was built and flown by another pilot at my field. the plane was restranied by two people before take off. it had a very close call with another pilot at a flight station. as soon as i can figure out how to compess the video ill email it to our clubs web master .

ORIGINAL: stikman26

that looks cool, how far did ya get before it crashed? damn shame
Old 01-07-2007, 05:19 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's fixed and we spent a while trying to synch the motors, the problem is the outboard motors cause a lot of yaw if they are not syched. Will try another flight in the spring. The first flight was long enough that we know she's very overpowered and quite fast, especially for a trainer...
Old 01-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Villa

I suggest you post this on the Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft forum. You did not mention engine size, weight of plane, wing span. The wing being held on with rubber bands is surprising. I would put on many, many, many more rubber bands. If the plane can takeoff on two engines, you might consider removing the outboard engines until the plane is tested.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 PM
evan-RCU

ORIGINAL: Villa

I suggest you post this on the Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft forum. You did not mention engine size, weight of plane, wing span. The wing being held on with rubber bands is surprising. I would put on many, many, many more rubber bands. If the plane can takeoff on two engines, you might consider removing the outboard engines until the plane is tested.
Goliath put it here talking about the "crash" which it really wasn't. Do you have to post engine size, weight, and wing span to post it here? Why would rubber bands be surpising? The fuse weighs much less and the bands hold the fuse to the wing not the wing to the fuse. If I was going to remove two engines why would I put them there in the first place? Recommended suggestion for it as a trainer? Obviously NOT. Are there suggested recommendations for these?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51357.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	593198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83602.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	593199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14244.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	593200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53314.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	593201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eq87677.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	593202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10566.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	593203  
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plane specs are NOT required to post in this forum..
Altho some of us would like them as it is always nice to see what others are trying...

The only "suggested recommendations" are that we all play nice and have F U N ....
Old 01-08-2007, 10:12 AM
evan-RCU

I agree. Villa, thanks for modifying your post it is much less agressive. Goliath did the original post and I doubt he had specs. It is a Tower Hobbies trainer. Span 62". The front motor was removed and a cowl from a twinstar repainted and installed. Four old OS FP.25's were put in with 6oz tanks and a servo for each. I already hade the aluminum landing gear on it, every trainer should have this. Final weigh is much higher than the original trainer, almost 7 pounds. It takes off and flys like a trainer except for the yaw from the unsyched engines it flew well. I didn't get to land it but the one flight did end in an engine off landing off the runway that damaged an old repair at the leading edge where the rubber bands go across.

The OS.25's where last used on the flying saucer in the post with all the pictures. That didn't work too well either but I just had to try it. Throttle lag from the motors caused it to lift unevenly. I should have kept it(I threw it away) and tried it with modern electric motors, it would fly well on electrics....

The pictures are just some of my creations, I like different things....
Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Villa

evan-RCU
I suggested posting on Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft forum because that is were the best advice is for multiple engines. If I knew a little more of the plane specs I could have made a better suggestion. Please read my input with a positive, neutral outlook. I did not post the second message you refer to. From what I saw and read I thought there was a great deal of danger involved but there was not enough information for me to mention it.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
evan-RCU

Robby, question, not to be rude but why did you modify both of the posts that Villa made? Though I don't agree with him, or didn't with what he originally said, I didn't have a problem with what he said, friendly bantering so to speak. I did send him a PM to discuss my opinions privately.

Curious....
Old 01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
stinger40

evan-rcu,

Is that Giant Quaker pictured at Triple Tree Aerodrome? Wow, it looks different in the fall. I'm always used to it at Joe Nall.

Stinger
Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
evan-RCU

ORIGINAL: stinger40

evan-rcu,

Is that Giant Quaker pictured at Triple Tree Aerodrome? Wow, it looks different in the fall. I'm always used to it at Joe Nall.

Stinger
If you mean the post with the pictures yes, in fall. Living close and knowing the folks we make a few trips a year, usually to float fly. The picture in my avitar was from the Rally of the Giants in Deland Florida a couple years ago. Considering the 16 foot span and 12 foot length of the airplane people are surprised when I show up many miles away from home and that I carry it hanging out the back of my mini truck. I've made many trips with the Quaker, people really get a kick out of it.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM
stinger40

That's cool. That Quaker isn't as big as the one in Pat's hanger at TTA.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 AM
evan-RCU

No, I belive Pat's is 25 foot. Did you know when he moved it from his house to the new hanger at Triple Tree he flew it there? He had a lead airplane he was in and he controlled it from there while in the air.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:47 AM
stinger40

Whoa, I didn't know that. That's cool. It won't fit in any car. Do you know what plane he was in? I would assume the Stearman, because he can see all ways in it. Either that, or the J3 Cub. It would have been bad to have a dead stick. Which one did he land first, I ask myself.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
evan-RCU

I think it was the stearman but I'm not sure, The Quaker cruises above 100mph so matching speed wasn't a concern. It's looks much slower than it is because of the size.

I think we have hijacked this thread......
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM
stinger40

BTW goliathman, we are still waiting on the pics and video, or at least I am.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:00 PM
stinger40

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

I think it was the stearman but I'm not sure, The Quaker cruises above 100mph so matching speed wasn't a concern. It's looks much slower than it is because of the size.

I think we have hijacked this thread......
Yeah, we hijacked it. There had to be someone there on the ground when Pat and the pilot of the Stearman (supposedly) got close. I guarantee you that there was an RC pilot on the ground that was on the same frequency as Pat. It was probably like that story where the RC plane flew across the Atlantic Ocean. That is what I think, though. That seems like the smarter thing to do.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:17 PM
zope_pope

They should change the outboards to pusher props and put them behind the inboard engine. A push me pull me airplane not on centerline. That'd be sweet.