Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

J3 cub, crash on take off nearly every time.

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

J3 cub, crash on take off nearly every time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM
waydown2low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: J3 cub, crash on take off nearly every time.

Ok guys, enough about the engines, it doesn't matter. A plane is only as good as the guy flying it, it doesn't matter if it has a os 40LA or a Saito 82. I flew a Goldberg cub with a O.S. 70 fourstroke and it was a sweetheart, have also flow the same plane with a os 40 fp. Take off roll was only about five feet longer on the forty. More power is great, but not required but will often get you out of a bind when the smaller one won't. The only problem is that when tthe plane gets in a situation that requires more power, they are already over controling the plane and a crash is immenent, no matter what is roaring up front.

I have seen very experienced flyers do the cub snap and eat dirt, it happens! It is up to the builder to decide what he wants up front and what he can afford and so on. In the words of great pilot, fly what ya brung! I won't discourage starting with the cub, I have tought several to fly with cubs and eventually every one of them did the snap but they are all really good pilots now and would probably owe alot to it learning with the cubs. They were Goldberg and Greatplanes kits, nobody had seen many arfs other than trainers and Laneir arfs. Ahh the good old days!! I still am not sold on these cheap china models yet, have not seen one yet I liked but hey, that is another can of worms!
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
fozjared

i have had a few of the china model arfs, most lacking hardware, instructions and some of the hardware that wasn't missing was inferior hardware.. but i do have one china model that i was and am extremely pleased with, in case you are interested here it is:

http://texasrcplanes.com/arfyak543dblue.html

the guy that owns texasrcplanes.com is a super guy and has the best customer service, you can call him up and talk to him anytime, but be prepared to get an earful that man can talk all day long about planes! he sells only the china model planes, but with minor experience you can improvise with the instructions what goes next in the final assembly, add a couple of pieces of your own hardware and you will have a super plane! plus he has the cheapest planes i have ever found..
Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 PM
phippsa3

ORIGINAL: adamjedgar

You have hit the nail on the head my friends. You think a 70" cub will fly on a 40-46 size engine...yeah right...then you turn downwind and wonder why it fell out of the sky...the thing simply doesnt have any guts! Hammerhead a standard construction built 71" cub on a 46 eh...id like to see that. My cub was not a bullet, no cub is, but you expect that it will actually be able to reasonably maintain altitude (or relatively easily regain it) during most aerobatic manouvers. I hardly think the ones mentioned here would have any chance of that.

Just to let you know that i fly my 1/4 scale cub 108" on a saito 91 and thats plenty of power.
Flys very scale at way less than 1/2 throttle.

If you enjoy scale flight then there is really no need to overpower.
70" cub will fly very nicely on a good 46 2st.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:29 PM
phippsa3

And here is the old girl!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51021.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	860588   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45324.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	860589  
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
JPANN

That's a nice one phippsa3, I like it alot. It looks just like mine only 20" longer wing. ARF or kit?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM
waydown2low

Just out of curiosity, what is the price difference for a plane in London compared to the states? I have always wondered if things were about the same after money value change.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:36 AM
NorfolkSouthern

OK, dumb question again. For those who have several high-wing planes under their belt: How easy is the Cub to fly, compared to others like the Dakathlon, Citabria, or Taylor Craft? Sorry, didn't mean to interrup but I am burning with curiosity....

NorfolkSouthern

waydown2low: It fluctuates, but I can most certainly say that it will cost more in Europe with converted U.S. dollars. This is, of course, due to the exchange rate and the dollar has been losing more value with lower interest rates.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Villa

Hi NorfolkSouthern
I have had three of the 71" WS J3-Cubs. I have been told by other experience R/C pilots that the other three planes you mentioned are easier to fly. I have seen them fly and they do not seem to be as difficult as my cubs.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Thanks for the help, Villa. I've seen quite a few Citabrias and Cubs. The Cubs are flown more conservatively, while Citabrias seem more aggressive. This is probably due to easier stall recovery and the use of more engine power. I think part of the trouble with Cubs would be the barn door ailerons and flat bottom wing with a thinner airfoil. Would that be a correct observation? How would a Cub compare to, say, a Cessna?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Villa

The Cessna models I have seen (46 size and larger) seem to fly very well. I think a main difference is that the Cub wing is longer than it needs to be. The clipped wing Cubs seem to be OK. I don't think I would like my Cub as much if it was easy to fly. I like the challenge; the difference. I have learned that if I have not flown my Cub in a while I better do a lot of thinking, remembering, and be super alert on the first takeoff/landing.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Live Wire

Norfolksouthern.
I have three J-3s, and it depends on how they are built how they fly You build them to exact scale and they fly scale, You change the landing gear CG , motor offset and a few other thing and you have a trainer. But I like scale and you have to learn to fly them.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:49 PM
fozjared

villa, i am the same way, if it has been more than a week or so even, i have to stop and think about what goes into getting her off the ground and then back down safely! its not incredibly difficult, but i do have to stop and change the way i fly my other airplanes, it's like i have to change channels in my mind. i love the different way my cub flies, it is totally different and it seems new to me each time i go for a spell without flying it!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've flown multiple size cubs (both Full Size and models) over the years - this weekend I test flew at 96" Cub for a fellow club member that he got for a song and a dance - wish I had known about it, I would have bought it.. The plane had a 90 4S on the front that had not been run in a few years. Once we got it started and running well, up I went. As I taxing out, he was worried that I would ground loop it - I told him right before I started the take-off that the Cub likes rudder and to get the tail flying before trying to break ground. Take-off, stayed on the rudder, got tail flying, and it just rose right off the runway. Just flew around at 1/4 throttle until I ran out of fuel. Dead stick landing, no problem- what a floater. Just remember that the bigger the Cub, the more you have to be on rudder.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

cubs are not trainers you need experience with flying. going from small e power to large glow is difficult at best
Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Yaniel

finally had a successful day of cub flying! i took my buddy out to maiden his h9 pnp cub 40, he'd never flown glow nor a cub before so he asked me to maiden it for him. i was a little scared but i had a lot more experience flying glow planes than i did when i crashed my own cub. I dailed in a bunch of expo on the rudder and it really helped the ground handling the plane would almost track perfectly down the run way, gave it more run way that it probably needed and it climbed out beautifully. only problem i noticed was that since the winds were blowing at about 15 mph when i would start turning it would try to blow the wing over so it needed a lot of aileron work to keep it from stalling out on a turn. now i'm going to rebuild my cub because the plane is a joy to fly once you figure out its quirks. with a 4 stroke though because i didnt realize how awful a cub sounds with a 2 stroke when i had mine!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 PM
ltriska

either i missed it, or no one mentioned after all the crashes, the receiver might be crapped out, especilly if it's a futaba.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Villa

Hi ltriska
I have had about 12 receivers, the majority Futaba. In well over 100 crashes since 1972 I have never damaged one receiver. I have ripped more than one antena wire, but I soldered them together. Are yours well protected? What kind of problems have you had? I do recall now replacing one or two crystals on the receivers after a severe crash. Do you count those?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Yaniel

i did it... i placed the order at the lhs for a new fuse, cowl and and windshield along with a saito 72! i cant wait to go cubbing again!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:56 AM
ZX11

Interesting how difficult some cubs are. My second plane was an eflite 25 cub. It was my first big plane at 60" wingspan That cub has never given me any trouble and flys great. Everything I hoped for flying a cub. Slow flights, gentle moves, flat turns, and great looks. Ground handling is fine if I stay on the rudder early. But I fly off of grass and have heard it is easier. I take off on low rates and then switch to high rates for loops and rolls. Two important parts of my set up is differential ailerons and balancing it so the wing is level instead of the fuselage. The fuselage can throw you off.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:15 PM
eniac

I built an Adrian Page 40 inch Super Cub a couple years ago, and was very appreciative of how much ground handling challenge it provided. I was able to get very close to the rudder in terms of my flying style, and have since applied the lessons learned to other airplanes. The biggest thing really is that whole 'get on the rudder early'.

I still fly it rather often, and the Super Cub has racked up more than 40 air-hours - really a gem - even with a weak (scale!) gws 350 motor.

People in the know really take a second look when you are able to takeoff and land a comparatively small cub, in a near-flight-speed crosswind and not ground loop, or veer off during the whole cycle. Helps keeping your other planes in good shape too!

eniac
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Yaniel

i've been flying my friends h9 cub40 while i put mine together, i think i'm definitely ready to get my cub in the air again! I've been able to put the cub on the center line of the run way and keep it there til the mains lift off the ground at a very scale like speed and with a STRONG crosswind. Meanwhile my cub should be done tomorrow, went with a saito 72 instead of the evolution 46 2 stroke this time around, i cant wait to fire it up!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 PM
JPANN

Good for you Yaniel, keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Yaniel

I finally re-maidened my cub, had about 5 flights, 0 problems. take offs were easy now, i guess i'm more comfortable with the plane. landings where very difficult because of the 12 mph cross wind. the saito 72 flies it around with only a couple of clicks of throttle. one time just for fun, i jabbed the throttle to full while on the ground and the plane was off the ground in about 5 feet.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

So JPANN
What happend did i miss what happend with your friends new plane last i read you said it was all most finished and ready to fly like most post get caught up in talk and loose why i was reading in the first place the cubs what happend
Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
JPANN

Layback2,
You are correct, this post took on a life of it's own but that's cool.

The first cub was a Nitro model plane and I killed it during that crash so that particular plane never flew again. The second cub was a Richmodel and he did infact have a successful maiden flight. I did not get to see this with my own eyes but the palne is still in perfect condition, there were plenty of other witnesses that corroborated his story! Unfortunatly (because we live in Michigan) the weather is not the greatest to fly in now so neither of us have done much flying much to our disappointment.

I have come to the conclusion that the first cub did not fly because of design flaws. The second cub was not built (by us) any diffrently then the first and it flew flawlessly. I have a cub just like the second one I have mentioned and have never had a problem flying it, I have had landing gear issues however. We took what we learned from my cub and applied it to his. We actualy fabricated our own landing gear and it works great. My friend is real good at that crap because that is what he does in the real world. He has made landing gear, special exhaust systems, and many other minor fabrications that work well.

I did find it interesting that some of the posts on the second or third page alluded to the cub being somewhat difficult to fly if you are going for "scale". If that be the case, maybe the first cub actualy flew fine and the pilot was the problem??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.