Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

GWS E-Starter Power Upgrade?

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

GWS E-Starter Power Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 02:54 AM
crashed2
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS E-Starter Power Upgrade?

Ok all you Experts out there. I have a GWS E-Starter with the stock 300 motor/gearbox combo.
I use a 5 amp GWS speed control, which I haven't had any problems with. This is all powered by a Wattage 8 AA cell 9.6v 800mah Nimh pack. It flys great up here at 7000ft above sea level. The problem is, I added home made floats to fly off the water with. It will get airborn when conditions are right, but not very long flight times. I would like more power for this plane. I thought about getting the Stock GWS 400 geared motor for it, but the book that came with the plane says that it has the same thrust as the 300.
So tell me, without adding weight or going to brushless, what motor battery confirguration, will give me more power than this little 300?

Thanks in advance for the input, I love flying off water!
Old 11-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Mike Parsons

Default RE: GWS E-Starter Power Upgrade?

Crashed2,
Go with a 2S ThunderPower 2100 Lipoly pack. Or a 2S 1500 Kokam pack, or a 2S2P Etec 2400 pack. Any of these will drop your weight by half and provide a performance hop up that you are looking for. The GWS 300C is a motor that works for this plane. I flew mine with the 2S2P Etec and saw a 40% improvement in performance. The key is that you get the hop up by dropping the weight while retaining the thrust. Better thrust to weight= better perfomance. Not much else you can do but either go BL or upgrade to Lipo's.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:38 PM
crashed2

Thanks, That sounds like a good idea.
I've been looking into going with li-polys or lithiums, but I would also have to get a charger for them too. This seems to seal it for me though, and I think I will. Can you recommend a good but not too expensive fast charger for them? I think I would like to get one that would do Li-poly and lithium, if not all battery types.
I have an ACIVATOR peak charger and I really like it, so something like it, would be perfect.
Can you give me a link to where I might find the batteries that you mentioned?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-22-2003, 12:02 AM
Mike Parsons

I recommend either the Triton or the Astro 110 deluxe as they do NIMH's, NICD's, Lipo's, and PB's. I have the Triton and am about to add the Astro 110 as a second charger. There are some inexpensive Lipo only chargers out there, but I recommend one of those.

I recommend two places for Lipo's and I give these two guys alot of my business.
www.b-p-p.com
- Troy is great with prices and will even beat a competitors price to get your business

www.lightflightrc.com
- Dave is also great and will take care of you.

A third place for most any parkflyer equipment (including batteries) you need is www.parkflyermotors.com. Bill is terrific and I highly recommend him for anything he carries.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:56 PM

Have you timed your 300C power system? Also, there is the new GWS350C power system. Same weight more power. I had and E-starter and my new Formosa has the 350C power system. But with different planes I don't really know if there is any difference. GWS says you get more thrust though.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:16 PM
MAKODS

Go with the GWS 350C or 350D motor and gear box. Around $18.00. They make a really big difference in the E-Starter. I have 2 E-Starters both with 350D's in them and use Kan 950 8 cell in one and a Kan 1050 7cell in the other. Performance is very nice and flight times 6-10min.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Weldman

I have a stock E-Starter 300C 10x8 prop and using 2s E-tech 1200 total weight comes to 14.5 oz flys just fine. full power- 8-10 mins 2/3 - 10-14mins. Also Aeromicro is selling the 2S E-Techs for 26.75 I also use the Hobbico MKII Charger (49.95 at Aeromicro) for my Lipolys works just fine for me. I use a wattmeter to monitor the charging.

good luck

Mike

www.aeromicro.com
Old 11-26-2003, 02:29 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: crashed2

Can you recommend a good but not too expensive fast charger for them? I think I would like to get one that would do Li-poly and lithium, if not all battery types.

Thanks for your help!
I have had good results with "Batteries America" chargers and batteries for the "inexpensive" side of E flight.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:54 PM
chrisgood
My Feedback: (2)

You can also try a 3-cell lipo pack. I know people will be immediately responding with "You can't put 3 lipo's on a stock GWS 300." The specs say that you can't do, and it is pushing that motor to its limits. Remember to use throttle management - lots of power to get in the air, throttle back once airborne, and then use lower throttle settings until the battery has had a chance to come off of peak (12.6 volts at peak.) I have been flying 3-cell lipos in my Slow Stick with a stock 300 for 6 months, flying nearly every other day and lots more on the weekends. I have burned out 1 motor in that time; one of the brushes disintegrated. I am also using 3 cell lipos in my Flubber with a stock GWS 300 setup. It pulls the plane around very nicely; not quite enough for hovering in the Flubber, but I can do very high alpha flying at almost 0 forward airspeed with the Slow Stick.

Chris
Old 11-28-2003, 09:11 PM
crashed2

If running 3 li-polys, what mah cells would you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Mike Parsons

I would go with a 3S 2100 mah Thunder Power or a 3s 1500 mah Kokam. I will agree with Chris in that you can use a 3S pack with a 300C if you are throttle cautious. However, I found out that I do not have that dedication. I burned out a 300C in 5 flights while a friend burned his in 3 flights. I find that on a 2S 1200 Etec or 2s 2100 Thunderpower power or 2S 1500 Kokam, gives the necessary punch and flight times.

Mike
Old 11-29-2003, 12:05 AM
crashed2

What about timing the motor? Would everyone agree it would help? I found this while looking around,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=97414
Do you all think this would work? Is it worth a try?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jim
Old 11-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Mike Parsons

I retime all of my 300C's. It will give you more umph. Wont help much on the 3s vs 2s, but definately makes it more effecient.

Mike