Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

LiPo charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 04:23 PM
spitlm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo charger

Hi,

Anybody know the MRC SUPER BRAIN 969 PRO charger? How many LiPo can charge at time? How it is? It's price seems interesting around 100$. and versatile NiCd, NiMh, Lithium (how many cells?) Pb....

Thank you,

Luis
Old 11-28-2003, 06:29 PM
chrisgood
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: LiPo charger

Do a search on Superbrain 969 here on RCUniverse. The 969 was not really designed for LiPo's. MRC built a nice charger for NiCds and NiMhs, and decided to market it for LiPos also. It can only do a capacity charge on LiPos, so if you have not taken out everything you try to put back in, the battery may blow up. See this warning:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1179123

Chris
Old 11-29-2003, 03:29 AM
spitlm

Thanks Chrisgood, What Lipo charger do you think is good?

Regards,

Luis
Old 11-29-2003, 12:28 PM
chrisgood

I have used the SuperBrain 969 (no good), the Triton, and the Schultze (with and without the correct software load). The Triton and the Schultze with the correct software load both work fine.

Chris
Old 11-29-2003, 04:17 PM
spitlm

Hi Chris:

I see that the Triton can only charge 1-4 Lipo cells, Is this true or it can charge more LiPos?

Thanks again,

Luis
Old 11-29-2003, 06:08 PM
chrisgood

The Triton can charge 1-4 cells in series (the voltage part 4.2 - 8.4 - 12.6 - 14.8 volts); the 'S' part of the battery setup. For example: 3s2p; 3 cells in series to make a 12.6 volt battery, 2 of those 3-cell packs in parallel to give 2 times the capacity. If you have a 3s2p pack, with each battery rated at 1200 mah and 4.2 volts, you will have a 12.6 volt pack, with 2400 mah capacity. Since the Triton can put out 2.5 amps for lithiums, it would take about an hour to fully charge a completely discharged battery with 2400 mah (2.4 amp-hours) capacity.

If you had a 4s4p pack (like the big Thunder Power packs), where each battery has a 2100 mah capacity, you have 14.8 volts (4s * 4.2), and 8400 mah capacity (4p * 2100 mah). With the Triton, that would take 8400 mah / 2500 ma = 3.36 hours to bring a completely discharged battery back to peak. It will actually take a bit longer because the current (in amps) drops off after the battery reaches the top voltage. This is what constant current - constant voltage means.

Constant current: The charger puts in the set current (2.5 amps) at an unregulated voltage (the battery draws what it can) until the voltage reaches the preset max voltage. The battery is usually charged about 85-90% full at that point.
Constant voltage: The charger then keeps the voltage at this preset level, and delivers the current at the rate the battery can receive it until it drops below 100 ma. It then shuts off. No trickle - lipos self discharge at a much lower rate than nicds.

Chris