Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Li-Poly Cut off voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 01:20 PM
lwatson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Poly Cut off voltage?

I just installed the new Castle Creations firmware that has an option to auto detect for the number of li-poly cells, and will set the correct cut of voltage. In talking to these guys, they use to recommend the cut-off voltage for a 3S li-poly at 7.2V under load so that it would not damage the battery and yet with no-load the lipos would bounce back to 9V thus not hurting them.

They recently changed thier recommendations because the newer Li-polys drop less under load, thus they have less bounce back, so the new firmware will set the cutoff voltage to 9V automatically.

In trying this out, I found my new 830 3S Apogee pack, would drop to 9V under load, but bounce back to 12V without the load. Admittedly I was punching it for a short take off, but that's the point of having all that power.

So on to my question, what are you guys setting as the cut off voltage, for the 3S li-polys on 11 to 20 oz models, and do you set it for hard cutoff or soft cutoff?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:56 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Li-Poly Cut off voltage?

9v.(Using the Triton charger)