Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Help with cycling

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:13 PM
The Rook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cycling

Hi there,
I have a question about discharging and/or cycling batteries. I have a multiplex LN-5014 and I would like to discharge and cycle a NiMH 3 cell 3.6 volt 150 mAh battery. What settings should I use?
I've only had experience charging Lipos, so I know virtually nothing about charging NiMH with a computerized charger like the multiplex. Can't you crank up the mAh for the charge without harming the battery? Does this reduce overall performance? Is it better to charge them with a very low mAh (is this what they refer to as a trickle charge?)?
Thank you for answering all of my ignorant questions!
J
Old 04-21-2006, 03:00 PM
jooNorway

Default RE: Help with cycling

A general rule for NiMH: Max charge at 1C (150mA) and max discharge at 10C (1,5A). Most NiMH-batteries handles these currents. Of course there are batteries which handle more current... The long tiny cells are for low current and the short thick ones for high current/motor.
A new NiMH shall be charged at 1/10C for the first time, and also if it is stored for a while. NiMH have to be cykled 4-5 times before they have the full capacity. They also loose capacity quite fast... If stored for 2-3 months they usually require some cykles before they are shipshape again.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:58 PM
The Rook

Thanks for the reply!
I am now trying to cycle my PZ P-51 batteries. They are 10.8 volt, 1000 mAh batteries. What are the optimal settings for mAh and volts to cycle these. I have a Multiplex LN-5014.
Thanks,
J
Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
The Rook

OK, after a little more research,
I think I have it dialed in more, however, I don't know what to set for voltage on Discharge. Is this setting how low of voltage the charger will go before shutting off the discharge? If so, how low should I set it for my 10.8 volt NiMH?
Thanks,
J