Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > E-Flight Power Sources
Reload this Page >

Heeeelp - Short when removing A123 battery

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Heeeelp - Short when removing A123 battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heeeelp - Short when removing A123 battery

I was trying to remove a123 cells from Dewalt9360 36 v 10cell(a123)battery.As I was removing the solder from the red (+) wire it wouldnt come easily (I dont have a desolder yet ) so I wiggled and wiggled and it was loose..but the solder rod accidentaly touched the metal sink for a fraction of a second I think ..now I realise the whole **** thing is negative! There was a spark, some smoke ..see pic...I was tired today ...should have done it on weekend...

NOW ........do I have a chance ,will the batteries be still alive??Is it safe to use the soldering iron ...with the short I mean...
Do you guys always use a desolder?...See pic..has a burnt black spot above label in metal cover and my soldering rod is colored too....

Has this happened to anyone...a short and what usually happens to the battery?

Please see pic...
[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27854.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	785759  
Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM
mrasmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heeeelp - Short when removing A123 battery

you can use a soldering iron to desolder the leads just fine. I actually use my desolder pump from RS to do most of my soldering and desoldering. It's nice because it holds alot more solder than a tip of an iron, so I can make fast solder joints with minimum heating while still getting a nice hot joint.

As far as the packs go, they are probably fine because of their resiliant nature (if the short was only momentary like less than 1/2 sec or something), just make sure that you cycle the packs a few times in controlled conditions where it would be OK for them to ignite. I wouldn;'t sell the packs just incase there is something wrong with them, you don't want to pass that liability on. The longer time the short was, the more likely there is damage to the pack.