Community
Search
Notices
E-Flight Power Sources Ask questions or read about power sources as they specifically relate to e-flight including Lithium-ion, Li-Poly, Nimh and Nicad battery packs.

Glo to electric question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glo to electric question

I'n in the process of determining the motor, esc, battery combo for a Kaos (60) size coversion. There seems tro be many choices. I could use some suggestions. Plane weight about 7 1/2 pounds. Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glo to electric question

Skip...

Is that the weight without the engine, or with? Assuming with motor (meaning I assume the fuselage and wings without motor and tank is substantially less than 7.5 lbs), Axi 4130, , Hacker A50 or equivalent. Something capable of around 1000 - 1200 Watts, 80 Amp speed control (Jeti Spin 75?) (beyond 5 or 6 cells, requires a High Voltage speed control = $$) and 5 - 8 cell battery, 5000 down to about 3500 capacity (PolyQuest or FlightPower EVO), 16X10 APC E prop. (More cells = lower current). With the Kaos, the fuselage is somewhat narrow so room for the battery is limited. You'll need to shop around and look at the dimensions of various cell configurations, you may need to hack through a bulkhead. The battery is probably going to need to be placed somewhere around the leading edge of the wing, although I know the Kaos has a long tail, mine always came out somewhat tail heavy.

With electric you can look for ways to lighten the structure, such as cutting large holes in the slab fuse, etc. Lots of structure is designed to help hold up under the pounding of a glo engine and all that vibration will be absent. Planes designed for electric are amazingly light. I think generally, planes designed and built for glow, converted to electric are a little heavier than their glow brothers. Planes designed for electric are lighter than the equivalent glow plane. I have a SebArt Angel, that's about the same size as the Kaos that is 3 lbs empty, without electric equipment, 6.5 lbs, with an 8s battery, motor and speed control, 4 servos and receiver, so you can look to adding about 2.5-3 lbs to the empty weight of your plane, that already has servos and a receiver.

Lots of ways to go, lets see what other guys say.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
mark126804

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Glo to electric question

Hi Skip.

There are many systems to pick from. What I have tried is the "REMFIRE" motors from Great Planes. If you go to there web site, there is an electric calculator. Ive had much success w\ these motors. Now w\ that said I only use Castle Creations ECS's and TANIC PACKS. With this calculator you can pick the weight of the plane, prop size, Batt cell #'s, preformance level. Or you can go to MAXX products and they have a calc for Himaxx motors. Or as we all know you have E-Flite motors. The electric thought process has really become easier over the last couple of years. I hope this helps. And remember this is just my two cents worth.

Later Mark