Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade 120sr flight

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:38 AM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade 120sr flight

i have a mcpx and a 120sr. so far i like the 120sr better over the mcpx. anyway i noticed the 120sr straight out of the box when you bring it in a hover with hands off the controls it does this funny hover circle?? i noticed hovering it flys forward little bit then goes to the right then backwards then to the left. it keeps doing that??? i have to keep catching it with the controls all the time. the nitro 30 size helicopter i used to have was not even this twitchy. i bought this 120 trying to get back into the r/c stuff after going through bankruptcy.

anyway can i fix that with upgrades or somthing???

far as the mcpx its a twitchy and senstive little thing. only upgrades i have on it is aluminum swash plate,head,blade grips otherwise rest is factory.
i'm just now getting where i can some what hover it. but not real good yet. is there any other upgrades that would help stabilize it little better?

any ideas on either one of them?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:06 AM
rglbegl

Hover circle, sounds way better than the toilet bowl effect.
There are a few videos and write ups on how to lower the effect, but it is just a part of game.

I learned a lot from my 120sr. It was so hard to hover in even the lightest wind it gave me stable hands and taught me how to be a better pilot.
Dial in a little Expo on your controller and it makes things much easier.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:48 PM
flyingjmerritt

i looked closer at the helicopter a 2nd time. it looks like there is some slop in between the main shaft and flybar,swashplate has slop in it,some slop in the between the main hub and blade grips it came this way from the factory. looks like some of the factory parts were not made very well. i have not crashed it or ran into anything since i got it.

think i'm going to give it an overhaul. just got most my parts from microheli aluminum frame,swash plate,main shaft,blade grip,flybar,anti collar. i did forget to order the main hub and some thread locker! so i ordered what i forgot too. so have to wait few more days before i can assemble it all.

i have flown the nitro 30 size helis before this. so i'm not new to it but has been least 5 years since i touched an rc. so far i think the 30 size nitro flew better then this blade 120sr.
but the blade 120sr has teached me how to fly again. after a while it started to come back to me. i think with a couple of upgraded parts to take the slop out of it this will be a nice little helicopter.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Hi flyingjmerritt,

And welcome back to the heli's!

The Blade products you will find are made from cheap plastic with low tolerances and some QC issues, but they really are a great learning tool. My suggestion is to take them at their face value and not try to do too many upgrades to try and make them as stable as a larger heli b/c in the end you'll get trapped in the 'blade money pit' thing.

Leave them stock (except for the metal swash for the mcpx) and just fly them.

BTW, the mcpx is a more advanced heli then the 120 b/c of the flybarless stabilization system it has. When dialed in you get used the twitchiness and just compensate for it. It also isn't something you stick bang, you really need to be good with your collective management. Most guys will also do the tail boom mod which is to use some 2mm CF rod and extend the length of the boom by an inch or so to give the tail more authority to help prevent tail blowouts on any kind of flip maneuver.

Good luck and you'll be surprised by how far the heli industry has progressed since you've been gone.

Mark
Old 03-21-2014, 04:17 PM
flyingjmerritt

ya i noticed the new nitro helis has no flybars! never seen that back when i was flying helis. are the newer ones just as stable without the flybars? just wondering because i was thinking of getting another nitro helicopter. i just don't know much about the newer flybarless heads. and need to relearn on some things.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Aframomum

Flybars...what are those??

Yeah, FBL systems are definitely the way to go now. They have improved so much in the past few years...both in functions and size. Makes for a totally different flying experience that now you can really work on the maneuver itself and not worry about all those little corrections you had to worry about in those flybar days.

Don't know what your thoughts are on electrics but lipo technology (and price) have gone through some major changes as well. Not to mention motor and ESC's - much more power now-a-days then you will ever need. And the costs are much more doable for your average hobbyist.

BTW, Helifreak is a great resource for learning all you can handle on heli's today.

Mark
Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
flyingjmerritt

Originally Posted by Aframomum
Flybars...what are those??

Yeah, FBL systems are definitely the way to go now. They have improved so much in the past few years...both in functions and size. Makes for a totally different flying experience that now you can really work on the maneuver itself and not worry about all those little corrections you had to worry about in those flybar days.

Don't know what your thoughts are on electrics but lipo technology (and price) have gone through some major changes as well. Not to mention motor and ESC's - much more power now-a-days then you will ever need. And the costs are much more doable for your average hobbyist.

BTW, Helifreak is a great resource for learning all you can handle on heli's today.

Mark
how does the flybarless system work? does the radio or gyro run it or something?
thanks i will check out helifreak as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Aframomum

how does the flybarless system work?
As a basic explaination, the unit has 3 gyro's that control rudder, aerilon, and elevator much the same as a traditional stand-alone rudder gyro does for a flybar heli.

Obviously it gets more complicated but that will get you started.

The head is also different as you eliminate the flybar supporting parts, ie: the cage, seesaw, washout, control arms, few extra set of links, etc.

FBL units also require a more strict geometry than the flybar counterparts. Your mechanical setup (servo to swash and swash to grip) have less room for error than with the flybar setup.

It really isn't too complicated once you set one up.

Mark
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 PM
flyingjmerritt

ah ha now i see. i was reading your last post and also looking on youtube to see how one works. trying to school myself on the new tech on rc helicopters.
at first i was scared and nervous it would not be stable without a flybar! but it looks like i'm wrong. by looks of the videos its looks just as stable without the flybar as it does with the flybar from the kind i was used too. now its making more sense to me. thanks for the help and explaining to me how the flybarless head works Aframomum. i'm not as concerned in buying a flybarless helicopter now.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:24 AM
flyingjmerritt

got another question? are the bigger blade helicopters(outside kind) any better than the smaller ones(micro)? i was think of selling these and get a bigger one. i had the 120sr for a while and have outgrow it. but still fun to fly indoors and such.