Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CX-2

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM
gpach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blade CX-2

ORIGINAL: Wolfpackin

FYI,

Xtreme tailboom=18.0g Skids= 11.0g
Stock tailboom= 14.5g Skids= 4.5g
Thanks for the weights on these parts. Thats an extra 10 grams of weight I picked up. As well I have the Alum swash and lower rotor mount. Cant imagine these are more that a couple grams heavier. I am surprised that the extra 5 grams takes so much time away. You must just be going beyond the balance of weight/power at this point. I don't know if it holds true for helis but we use to thumbnail 2.5% lower ouput per 1000' for sledding. (internal combustion/air density issues). The altitude wont have any effect on the electric motors as far as RPM but the thinner air will definately require higher RPM on the rotor to generate the same amount of lift as at sea level.

Do you notice your motors seem to run very cool?

Regards
Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 AM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Hey guys Im gonna have a ball with this thing once I get that tail boom an landing skids all in custom red color!! cant wait!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Wolfpackin

The altitude wont have any effect on the electric motors as far as RPM but the thinner air will definately require higher RPM on the rotor to generate the same amount of lift as at sea level.
And I think because increased RPM is needed the motors do have to work harder/spin faster.
And heat dissipation is less efficient up here so the motors retain more heat.
I typically get 120F-125F at the top of the motors and 130F-135F on the sides of the motor case at about 68F ambient.

There's no doubt it is harder to fly a helicopter up here. The US Military's helicopter (HATS) High Altitude Training Site is just 30 miles west of me.

BTW,

E-flite stock lower head= .97g swash= 2.92g
E-flite CNC lower head= 2.47g swash= 4.35g
MicroHeli lower head= 1.30g swash= 3.20g
Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 AM
gpach

There goes another few grams. It's getting heavier as I go. Not having looked into it, can you change the drive pinion on the motors of the CX2? May involve slotting the engine mounts. If you bumped up one tooth on the pinions this would increase you rotor RPM. Would the engines working at lower rpm to develope higher head speed be more efficient?

Regards
Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Whistler71

Hey guys. I live at sea level about one mile from the ocean actually, maybe even closer... Whistler is an hour up the road and the altitude there is only 2200'... I do most if not all my flying here where I live.

From reading all the weight comparisons, I don't think I am in any rush to instal the alu-bling onto my heli. I really think that the two best upgrades for the CX2 are batter batteries and those indestructible landing skids. Then perhaps the more powerfull motors and boom kit. I have had many, many crashes (all mechanical failures of course!) and have yet to have broken my swashplate and lower grip which are both stock plastic...
Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Wolfpackin

Not having looked into it, can you change the drive pinion on the motors of the CX2? May involve slotting the engine mounts. If you bumped up one tooth on the pinions this would increase you rotor RPM. Would the engines working at lower rpm to develope higher head speed be more efficient?
That probably would help and I've read that it can be done but involves pinion pullers and a LHS, that could help me find one that would work, and I have neither. []
I will get the Xtreme motors soon and hopefully the ball bearings and vented case help a little (2g less also).

If you are interested in other weights let me know, I have a lot of data.
But I don't think you need to worry about it as much as I do.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Wolfpackin

I really think that the two best upgrades for the CX2 are batter batteries and those indestructible landing skids. Then perhaps the more powerfull motors and boom kit. I have had many, many crashes (all mechanical failures of course! ) and have yet to have broken my swashplate and lower grip which are both stock plastic...
I agree 100%
The only things I ever broke were stock skids and stock blades. But I couldn't resist the silver microheli parts.
I'm on my second set of stock motors (left one went after 75 flights) and a second 4 in 1...long story.

And at sea level I bet there won't be a noticeable difference for you when you do add the aluminum parts unless you have already added some weight elsewhere. I think at +240g others have noticed sluggishness down in the flatlands.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 AM
gpach

Thanks wolf, I am/was interested in the effects of voltage/rpm/motor load. I changed my FP heli from NMHi batteries (8.4 V) to 2 cell lippos. The flight time was a major dissapointment. I ended up going to a 11.1 volt lippos, had a ton of head speed but lost control over the tail. Changed to a motor with 1 less tooth on the main pinion, clipped the rotor on my tail, dialed back the gain and now it is controllable with lobg flight times. I tried the 7.2 lippos with the current main motor (1 less tooth on main pinion than stock) and now the flight time is about 1/2 of my first go around with the 7.2 lippos. I am starting to wonder if my problem all along was too low a head speed from the lower voltage lippos. Perhaps all I needed to do was to increase the main pinion by one tooth and I could have ran the 7.4's with decent flight times?

I wonder what would happen with the CX2 and 11.1 volt lippos. You would definately get the head speed up. Not sure if the 3-1 could handle the higher voltage though!

Again, I like you don't have a pinion puller etc. I suppose I should break down and get one as they are only about $10.00

Regards and thanks for the weight information.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Wolfpackin

I think stump3r, shufflez and some others were experimenting with 3 cell higher mAh and voltage but most of that was "over my head" (no pun intended) and I like my battery to fit in the battery holder, but that's just me.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM
stump3r

I haven't tried an 11 volt on my CX2. Not brave enough I do have a monster 7.4 volt coming for my walkera #4 that I might try in my CX2 though 7.4V 1300mah 25C. This lipo is supposed to give the Walkera #4 25 minutes of flight time! I'm pretty tempted to try in the CX2. She is 75 grams vs. 41 Grams for my DN's that I currently fly. I'm thinking even with the Xtreme blades and the extra lift that is far too much weight for her. I currently get 10 to 12 minutes of flight with my DN's and the motors are hot! I would hate to see what the bigger lipo would do for heat. Shufflez does fly a monster pack....hopefully he will sound in on this topic.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
gpach

ORIGINAL: stump3r

I haven't tried an 11 volt on my CX2. Not brave enough I do have a monster 7.4 volt coming for my walkera #4 that I might try in my CX2 though 7.4V 1300mah 25C. This lipo is supposed to give the Walkera #4 25 minutes of flight time! I'm pretty tempted to try in the CX2. She is 75 grams vs. 41 Grams for my DN's that I currently fly. I'm thinking even with the Xtreme blades and the extra lift that is far too much weight for her. I currently get 10 to 12 minutes of flight with my DN's and the motors are hot! I would hate to see what the bigger lipo would do for heat. Shufflez does fly a monster pack....hopefully he will sound in on this topic.

Stump, I have two of those batteries( 7.4x1300x75grams). I have flown the CX2 with them (strapped to the landing skids). But it is very sluggish and bottom heavy. Good luck on the 25 mins of flight time with them on the #4. I got 6 mins of flight time out of my F40 using those batteries. My F40 does have the superskids so it is slightly heavier than stock but the 1300 lippos are lighter than the stock battery so it should be close as far a weight.

Regards
Old 11-14-2007, 10:39 AM
stump3r

G, I guess we will have to get together and mod that #4 of mine to accept 11 volt 6 minutes of flight time is never enough Guess I might have to get a bigger heater for the garage Now that is a problem....heater or helicopter upgrades....that's a tough call! Then again bigger heater in the garage means bigger flight area. What am I thinking.....just come over to the shop and fly....lots of space in the warehouse for the #4 and CX2....a little cramped for a Trex though.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
gpach

Stump, you aint seen me "fly". I need a lot of room for the F40. I have yet to get it outside. Wanted to on the weekend but of course we had a hurricane go through (blew my BBQ off my deck).

Regards
Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM
USHobbySupply

The mod to the 4&1 on the #4 is easy. PM me for details.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Whistler71

OK, OK! Why do you guys feel the need of giving steroids to your CX2, remember (and no offense) it is a CX2! It is not meant to get all blinged up, then added bigger lipos, more voltage, etc, etc.

I, like Wolfpackin, like the way the CX2's battery fits VERY NEATLY into the battery holder and would not strap anything between the skids and things like that. If you guys want longer flight times, get the DN or SMC batteries, get 2-3 extras, get a better charger or two (FMA Cellpro 4S) and you will be in the air more than long enough. Then the problem is that you will overheat and burn the motors...[sm=punching.gif]

An old ski coach when speaking of us racers to our parents used to say:

"You can't make steaks out of hot dogs!" [sm=drowning.gif]

The CX2 is sort of a hot dog and it will never perform like a steak! If you are serious about this hobby, can afford it and have learned how to fly with the CX2, get a good sim and buy yourself a "steak"! Trust me that you will not regret it...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
stump3r

Whistler you make me laugh! We are in total agreement regarding our hotdogs However that is a huge difference between a regular hotdog and a ball park frank! That's what we are up to Same thing with steak for that matter....sirloin or a nice T bone! I have the DN lipos for my CX2 and am perfectly happy with 10 to 12 minutes of flight....in all reality that's all I would fly it even with a bigger lipo cause anything more than that you run the risk of burning out the motors or even cooking the 4in1. But this is nothing you don't already know. For myself I like to tinker with things and find their absolute limit or the limit of my skills We are just trying to take our hotdogs to ball park frank status LOL! Have no fear I will have a Trex in my hanger at some point in the future. However my skills as a pilot are not there yet.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:45 AM
gpach

This is great.

I just like fiddling around, same as stump.

Kinda the..........wonder what would happen if thing.

When I put the battery across the landing skids I was kinda thinking of a stretcher on a real heli. Just wanted to see how the heli would fly. It is very doggy and the motors are woking hard (suspect they would overheat quickly).

If you think about it, it make no sense to pile all the money into these little helis as they are inherently limited. But that is part of the fun for me.

Regards
Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Whistler71

I try, I try! If I can't make people laugh, then what!

As mentioned many times, I am happy with my hot dog being a regular hot dog, then I put plenty of ketchup, mustard, relish and onions and voila! (All those fixins being my skill!) LOL! I do like the ball park franks though, I also like the hot dogs that they sell at Costco, especially for the price!

OK! Regarding the bling and the performance... I think that a choice needs to unfortunately be made. Adding bling will make it heavier and therefore make it perform not as well. Then adding bigger batteries, bigger motor, etc, etc and you are back at square one. OK, it then looks better but performs the same. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL!

I think we all like to tinker because if we didn't, we would be in this stupid hobby! 1 hour of flying for 2 hours of tinkering, this is especially true for the T-Rex, not so much for the CX2 which is much less finecky and does not break as easy...

About your skills, I have been flying for 2-3 months as has gpach. He said that he would slowly build his T-Rex and look at it all winter to fly it only next spring. Well, let me tell you that I WAS RIGHT and would have won the bet, he has already hovered it and as I understand it has not had any so called "mechanicals" with that one yet! They are pretty "easy" to fly. Do you have a SIM? Do you use it? What can you do on it? Well, whenever G and you hook in your little warehouse [:@] perhaps you will change your mind as to your skill level and ability to handle a bigger more performant heli... THE FUTURE IS NOW![X(]
Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Whistler71

ORIGINAL: gpach
If you think about it, it make no sense to pile all the money into these little helis as they are inherently limited. But that is part of the fun for me.
You hit the nail on the head with that one, it is just about knowing when is "enough" which really the answer to that one is NEVER![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
stump3r

I agree with the balance thing....that's my CX2 right now. I'm just awaiting a new canopy then some metallic paint and she is going to fly pretty
If I could afford a Trex right now trust me I would have one. That's why I have the Walkera #4 enroute. A nice little step toward a Trex. I have the clearview sim and can fly the FP machines very well. The Trex 450xl model in the sim is a handful right now. I can do a tail in hover nicely however when she gets away from me I have a hell of a time getting her back....but I'm getting better. In all reality though nothing compares to the real thing. I'm hoping by this time next year that damn Trex will be sitting beside me
Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Whistler71

There really is nothing like the real thing. Some things like hovering I find much easier in RL, but other things such as loops, rolls, inverted hover, are easier to do on the SIM... (Perhaps because my balls recede inside of me when I try something hard in RL![X(]) LOL!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 PM
gpach

Sims..............SIMS........Not sure what they are worth. Sometimes I think more damage than good.

I can flip inverted and back to normal then back, nose in hover a bit etc with the Trex in the sim. The problem is I am scared sh**less to do more than hover in place with the real thing. I know you just crossed this bridge with the Trex as far as a real loop whistler.

I like the F40 as I know I can bang it off the floor or walls and because of the low head speed, damage is minimal and cheap. i don't think the same will be true of the Trex. Hovered it a bit for my brother last night and was awed by the headspeed. Let him try the CX2 and it helped me remember where I was a few months ago. Gave him a go on the F40, couldn't get it in the air.

I think this is somewhat of an individual journey of milestones. I think someone whom flys a 90 class machine would look at the Trex450 and flop it around as I do my F40 without a care in the world. Why do i spend any money on my CX2 when I have the others. It has a purpose and an ability and fits a nitch for flying indoors. It works well and as you say, isn't very fusssy. The bling for me is just that I want to take it to a certain point and make it look good. I know it won't change the performance a lot but I want my toys to look good.

todays weather report - Cold but no wind. i f I get home by a decent time, may take a couple of them outside for a spin.

Regards
Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Whistler71

Hey G, sound like you may have the same "receding balls" syndrome that I have!

I think SIMS are good to build reflex-muscle memory to help you react perhaps better in RL if something were to "happen".

Someone else has said something similar to your journey of milestones, a friend said that we al progressed differently. He can fly like a mad man, buzzing all around the sky with the tail in or to the sides, no flying towards himself nose in and nothing inverted... He has been flying for 1 year...

I hear you on the bling but I am a no nonsense kind of guy, I like my toys to look good but prefer them to perform well first and foremost. I am user, not a looker!

Cold is GOOD, no wind is even BETTER! Don't have to go too far, the backyard should be more than fine enough for the first 10-15 flights...
Old 11-14-2007, 12:41 PM
gpach

ORIGINAL: Whistler71

Hey G, sound like you may have the same "receding balls" syndrome that I have!

I think SIMS are good to build reflex-muscle memory to help you react perhaps better in RL if something were to "happen".

Someone else has said something similar to your journey of milestones, a friend said that we al progressed differently. He can fly like a mad man, buzzing all around the sky with the tail in or to the sides, no flying towards himself nose in and nothing inverted... He has been flying for 1 year...

I hear you on the bling but I am a no nonsense kind of guy, I like my toys to look good but prefer them to perform well first and foremost. I am user, not a looker!

Cold is GOOD, no wind is even BETTER! Don't have to go too far, the backyard should be more than fine enough for the first 10-15 flights...
Yes I think I have a case of the syndrom. [] When I was younger, i would have went nuts and crashed all over the place and had no money to repair the thing. Now I am older and have the money to repair it but seem to be a little timid regarding pushing it. We will see how it goes. When I first got the CX2 i was very pensive. Same with the F40. Perhaps as I get use to the Trex I will get to that point eventually. I think it is a matter of having a few mechanical flight issues and realizing that crashing it isn't going to totally destroy it.

Stump- The Trex is a whole lot easier to hover in place the my F40, by an order of magnitude. I think it may have to do with the gyro.

On the sim issue, I have noticed that some days, I seem to have better "orientation" than other days. Not sure what to chalk this up to but it happens all the time. Sometimes I can hover nose in for a second or two, other days can hold it relatively controller for 30-60 seconds nose in. Same machine, same field? Not sure what effects me on this (all cases when I havent had any beer).

As for you practical whistler.........how do those custom canopies your looking at improve the flight characteristics of the Trex
Regards to RF3.5, downloaded a 90 class nitro unit. Way easier to fly as I can see it and one side of the heli is green, the other grey makes it easy to tell which way I am facing. Is sluggish compared to the trex450 or 600.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
USHobbySupply

Can I have mine with Chili and cheese please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.