Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Blade CX-2

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:58 AM
notasme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blade CX-2

Try adjusting the gyro gain up to the point where the heli twitches left and right. Then back off the gyro gain a little at a time until
the heli holds steady. Proportional alone will not give you a steady hover heading. Also, even the best-tuned heli will not hold a rock solid hover for extended intervals. Air currents play into this a lot.

Here is another hint. the ratcheting on the throttle is fine for airplanes but for heli most people disable it. One way to do that is to open up the transmitter and slip a piece of fuel tubing over the arm. That way you still have the tension on the throttle and you have smother adjustments. The more expensive heli radios can be set for the smooth adjustment of the pitch/throttle stick. RC heli flyers have been doing this for years ( I started flying in 1986 and finely the radio manufactures started offering that as on option
On heli radios.)
Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM
gene465
My Feedback: (10)

Awsome! Have had a chance to fly about 10 batts in now. Still don't have a perfect hover but working it I have gone through about 3 pairs of upper blades and 2 prs of lower blades and 3 prs of skids. Most of my damage has been when I took the heli outside for some higher altitude flying, amazing how much more damage you do from those higher altitudes! Or the fact that the wind seems to blow alot higher! Only real problem I have had so far was a lack of rpms on the top blade. after switching motors and batteries finally figured out it was the shaft collar. After readjusting it, it flew just fine. I am really have a blast with the helo and the more I fly it the more addicting it is! I don't want to upgrade it any further than it is atm though I do have the xtreme tail boom and skids enroute. I am already looking at some of the CP helos like the Honey bee king 2 and the CP pro. That will be awhile though as I really want to master this heli first before going bigger. It's funny my wife just sent my Bro-in-law a micro helo and he is asking me a million questions like I'm the expert! [X(] Anywho appreciate all the wise words from the collective! Still have about 50 pages to read in these forums! Anyother links to any other RC heli forums would be greatly appreciated. I usually just frequent the R/C car forums, but since I can't get out there to race like I want to this is a nice diversion! Thanks all Gene
Old 01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
brwatson

ORIGINAL: notasme

Try adjusting the gyro gain up to the point where the heli twitches left and right. Then back off the gyro gain a little at a time until
the heli holds steady. Proportional alone will not give you a steady hover heading. Also, even the best-tuned heli will not hold a rock solid hover for extended intervals. Air currents play into this a lot.

Here is another hint. the ratcheting on the throttle is fine for airplanes but for heli most people disable it. One way to do that is to open up the transmitter and slip a piece of fuel tubing over the arm. That way you still have the tension on the throttle and you have smother adjustments. The more expensive heli radios can be set for the smooth adjustment of the pitch/throttle stick. RC heli flyers have been doing this for years ( I started flying in 1986 and finely the radio manufactures started offering that as on option
On heli radios.)
I hadn't tried the gyro gain adjustment. I managed to get the proportional set just about right (finally) last night. But this heli seems to insist on drifting slightly right (roll) and left yaw for whatever reason. Mostly I can trim those out though. I had seen the mod for the throttle and I admit, the ratchets make smooth control of throttle nye impossible. Would you recommend sanding the teeth off as well, or just use the fuel tubing?

-brett
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
notasme

I think you will find that the fuel tubing is all that is needed.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
gregmarine

notasme,

Would you also recommend the replacement tail boom? Or will the stock body work just find in a little wind? What about adjusting the servo linkages? I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Greg Marine
Old 01-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Carljw

What shaft collor did you adgust ,was it the one under the swashplate. I have been trying to move mine down but cant get it to move. Someone said it should be tight all the way down on the outer shaft but i have about 1/8 of an inch to go to get it to bottom out.
Carl
Old 01-05-2008, 06:08 PM
DaxFX

I dont undertsand. my CX-2 are so good just like factory stock no mod. I have servo arms in second inside hole to give a little more response factory body Marines one, and I can flew in winds up to 8 mph more or less. dont try to get mods before you learn to fliy when you have more experience flying the cx2 you will notice that heli performs exellent and capable of some sharp turns and some kind of hard maneuvers. you all need practice orientation , can you hover your heli nose in or side in. can you go far with the heli and bring it back without get disoriented. can you recover from a desoriented issue when you lost the perspective of wich way heli id pointing. when you know how to control this basics on any rc that fly you will enjoy your helli much much more.just burn your time on learning basics when your done when you can fly a complete battery without touch the ground and land safe in front of you when you learn to spot land when you learn follow patterns without getting out. you are done. you will experience much much fun if you just follow novice step 1. learn, 2 follow advice from experts, 3 no mods. cx-2 is not a 3d heli ( I say this to all novice but no one understand this) cx-2 is for easy fly. when you are done when you whant more adrenaline rush just go buy a single rotor heli and let cx2 for indoor or whenever not possible fly the 3d one.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 PM
dadtaylor

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the replys to getting me up and running with the CX2! I finally met with the "LHS expert"...what a joy that was. I had to endure the how did you screw this up so badly insults... and the we sold a ton of these during Christmas and YOU'RE the ONLY ONE HAVING A PROBLEM!

I was informed that you only get one free trim set up with your ready to go right out of the box CX2 and that I was going to be charged for any additional help! Some of the settings that the "expert" changed inside the helicopter...I had never even seen before...much less messed with...but they kept insisting that I had changed a lot of settings inside the heli and that it would never come that way from the factory!

I love spending over $250.00 for a heli and extra batteries and parts etc. and then being insulted and made to feel like they are doing me a favor...after selling me something that Eflite has admitted to having some problems with!

So, for anybody living in the Raleigh NC area I hope you don't have any issues with a CX purchased from HOBBYMASTERS!

Instead of customer service...they would rather embarrass you...and remind you that you're new to the hobby...so anything wrong couldn't be the fault of the manufacturer or the shop...it has to be you! I guess they would rather insult a new customer and someone new to the hobby...instead of admitting that they sold you something that didn't work! Oh...one more thing...it took a week and a half and daily phone calls AFTER Christmas to get this excellent customer service!

Sorry...I know I'm not suppose to vent here on the forum...I was hoping if I told you of just some of the crap I got from HOBBYMASTERS I would get over my need to return to the shop just one last time and tell them to shove the CX2 up their a _ _ !

Oh well...gotta run...and they're getting ready to close...gotta get there in case they need a little extra help or time inserting that heli where I know even the expert couldn't fly it!

John
Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM
dadtaylor

Hey Guys,
Now that's out of my system...I'm still having some trim problems with left and right yawing. Eflite says that I should not be messing with the proportional control...that I should be testing the gears slipping! HUH?

Any thoughts...?

Also, does Eflite or anybody else make a multiple LiPo charger? I'm getting ten minutes of flying time out of each of my three batteries and it's taking over an hour and fifteen minutes to charge each! I'm anxious...after all of this...I want to fly...not sit and stare at the little green light!

Any thoughts...?

John
Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 PM
DaxFX

dadtaylor :

battery only last like that 10 minutes. mi charger is almost 2 hours charging. I have the problem than 1 of my batteries is a little unbalanced and since voltage are not same in both batty's the trim on the cx2 is diferent on both batty's (proportional trim) also wile the battery is discharging in middle of a flight proportional trim start to get out of trim wile voltage drop. so batty time and charging time is normal on yours.

my cx2 was almost set perfect out of the box was a trully ready to fly machine. I just mess with proportional trim few days untill I found the exact position . same speed for both side on rudder. and no jaw . when has pass like 5 minutes of fly i need to start aply little amount on trim on rudder to still without jaw but that is normal is bc voltage is droping. there are better electronics that can correct this.

this was the steps I follow to get the correct proportional trim correctly.

1. charge a batty and use about 1 or 2 minute so peak is gone and voltage maintain level.
2. follow manual instruccion on wish way turn the screw depending on what side heli is moving the nose. (trim on reciver 3 in 1 unit)
3. found the perfect spot on proportional trim no jaw to any side with trim on tx centered
4 now that proportional is the right spot check if cx2 turns to both side at same speed. if not, you still out of trim no mater if no jaw. now loose the gyro a little bit like 1 or 2 minutes ( follow manual instruccion to see wish side you have to turn screw) when you loos the gyro a little check if speed for both side is same . if not keep doing that . if you get the point that gyro is too loose the heli wil keep turning to the side you input. so tight a liitle the gyro. if you get the point when gyro too loose and still turning faster to one side that the other just give more proportional trim to that motor. ( follow manual to see wish one) after getting correct speed with gyro looseed start to tight the gyro a liilte.

by doing this playing with gyro and proportional you will have a pefect setting like my CX2. at first when I got my cx2 and ask here why speed on one side was faster , everybody told that was normal. but not is not normal is out of setting.

olso the perfect setting and trims will last only few minutes. when batty start droping voltage you need to keep triming on tx.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 PM
gregmarine

DaxFX,

So, you are able to fly your CX2 heli in up to 8mph winds with a stock setup? Did you have to adjust which holes your servo linkage was in? I'm very interested in flying this outside. My dealer told me it would have to be calm out in order to do so. I'm very encouraged that I won't have to buy any mods to fly it outside :-)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg Marine
Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 PM
stump3r

Wind and CX2 is an ugly mix. Trust me anything over a light breeze will chew your heli up and spit it out.
I have modded mine with zero success in conquering wind. The CX2 is a great indoor/calm day flier. Nothing more.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 AM
gregmarine

stump3r,

I'm getting mixed reports. Some say it flies fine outside stock. Others say, like you, say don't bother. Still, others say mods will help...So, who do I believe???

Thanks for your input. I appreciate all the help I can get...
Greg Marine
Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 AM
gpach

Dadtaylor
I feel sorry for you in that your local hobby shop, who should be in the business to "serve" their customers don't know the meaning of service. I had good luck with my CX2 out of the box and found that it worked well enough to allow me to develop flight skills right up to the 4 th day I owned it when my brain got confused on the controls. "oh no its heading up to the garage door opener, better cut back on the throttle.......ooops wrong way on the throttle stick......oooops too late. After that it allowed me the chance to learn how to fix the heli. Since then it has been a stream of learning, flying and fixing and everything your learn builds you for the next problem.

Dont be scared to ask for help in any aspect as we have all been down the road. "what does this screw do anyway???". There are no wrong questions in this game and the focus of these forums is sharing and learning and fun.

Regarding batteries/chargers, if you believe you will be in the hobby for the long haul, get better chargers. I have 4 cellpros. They can charge any battery up to 4S and 4000 mah in an hour or less. I am like you in that when I fly helis, I want to fly helis. Some time between bats is good to let the motors cool but waiting an hour for a battery is a pain. The cellpros are balancing chargers. There are others that can charger and balance multiple batts at the same time.

Gregmarine

Wind + CX2 = flight patter deviations

No problems flying the CX2 outside in small breeze conditions. The bigest problem I have in higher winds is to fight a wind with it you need more throttle, more throttle gets you more height. To bring it back from a downwind position without climbing to heaven is tough for me. The next better step is a FP machine but still you have problems with "ballooning" on the wind. The best solution in a CP machine with some negative pitch in the curve.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:53 AM
DaxFX

ORIGINAL: gregmarine

DaxFX,

So, you are able to fly your CX2 heli in up to 8mph winds with a stock setup? Did you have to adjust which holes your servo linkage was in? I'm very interested in flying this outside. My dealer told me it would have to be calm out in order to do so. I'm very encouraged that I won't have to buy any mods to fly it outside :-)

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg Marine
the pushrods on servo arms came factory in first inside hole I move to 2nd. thats is the only mod i've made. 1 thing for sure it can be flew in 8 - 10 mph wing but will not be easy to still in the air without crash. you will need be very good with orientation. and learn how to react with the wind. I will try shoot some vids in the wing,
Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
gene465

Question from the noob helo pilot! Anyone have a good link to a decent tutorial on the hows and whys of helo flight? Just wanting to get more into the actual flight mechanics and terms. Also what is the difference between a 4Ch Helo and 6 Ch Helo. Still am a long way off before making the next big leap to a CP Heli but already planning on it and doing a bit of research on the next helo upgrade.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM
evdreamer

A 6CH has extra inputs for example a gyro gain or retracts. Helicopters with 6CH usually have a throttle up switch so you can fly inverted.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM
notasme

Greg,

The CX2 is an indoor bird. It is a great starter bird and fun for indoor practice and play in bad weather and Chicago winters. Once you feel you have full control and can put it anywhere you want it in any direction. You can move the servo linkages to the out holes. (I would start by moving to the third hole.) Get comfortable with that and then move to the last hole. Making nonfactory mods and using nonfactory parts is not necessary and only complicate the learning. (leave that for when you feel you are accomplished at flying and setting-up/rebuilding of your heli)

As for outdoor: on very calm days it would be ok. Remember this bird was built to be flown inside, air currents can toss it around and it does not have the power to overcome them very well.

Marty
Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Carljw

The collor on my outer shaft is not all the way down. I loosened the set screw and tried to move it down all the way but it will not move.
Carl
Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 PM
gene465

Carl, make sure that both screws are backed far enough out it should come down pretty easy if they are. Anyone have a template for a canopy? Getting ready to paint one up and wanted to try a few different designs. Will probably go with a white and green Forestry Fire theme, Since I work for the Forestry Division Thanks
Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Carljw

I only have one screw on the collar. it is the collar under the swashplate,is it supose to be down all the way,i have about 1/6 in to go.It is the outer shaft retaining collar.
carl
Old 01-06-2008, 02:59 PM
details21

im not sure if i am doing this right but i was wondering if any one out there has had a crash with the CX 2 and experanced the props gears are not held in place properly after crash if so what can i do to fix
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 PM
eflitemaniac

Hey All,

Relatively new here, but have learned a ton from alot of you about the CX2. My son was ecstatic when he got his CX2 in November and learned pretty quickly to hover and land, etc. We ventured outside a couple of weeks later and did pretty well until he started getting over-confident and promptly dropped the bird right on it's head. $50.00 worth of parts later (including the aluminum head) and we were back in business.

We had a major problem recently when we couldn't get her off the ground and after much tearing apart and re-assembling, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Lots of research in this forum suggested checking the swashplate / balancing the blades, etc. Well, after levelling the swashplate (it was about 10 degrees out) still wouldn't lift.

So we change the lower blades and voila, she's right back in the swing of things. I couldn't believe that it was something so simple.

I can't say enough of how important it is to balance the blades (good links on here to some youtube vids) and also the blade boil trick (also on youtube). We now balance a couple of packs of extra blades and if one blade breaks, we replace both that we have already balanced. (keep the good one and balance it later with another).

If anyone is having any problems with hovering / toilet bowll effect, etc. this balancing should help you immensely.

Thanks again to all the regulars who post answers to the frustated ones like us.

Eflitemaniac.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
gregmarine

Eflitemaniac,

When your son flew the CX2 outside, was there any wind? Also, how cold is it up there? I'm getting mixed opinions on flying outside. I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Greg Marine
Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
eflitemaniac

Hey Greg,

It wasn't windy at all when he crashed it. We've only flown it outside on calm days (windspeed less than 2-3 kmh ( 1-2 mph in your terms)).

We flew it a couple of days ago when temperature was around 32F. Right now we're going thru a hot spell of about 40F ;-)

I would have to agree that the stock CX2 wouldn't cooperate too well in winds much higher than that. I have read about conversions that will help and also check this video if you get a chance. It's pretty unbelievable. http://bladecx2.com/extremeupgrade.wmv

After we get really good we might consider an upgrade of that type.

Good Luck with your flying!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.