Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Too Fly or not To Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 PM
u)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Fly or not To Fly?

Well im getting bored with my cx2 now and am going to move up to a bigger heli such as.....

B400 or Trex450. So heres my question....should i get the blade 400 practice with that because its cheaper to repair WHEN i crash. or save that $470, get a trex 450Se v2 kit and RealFlight G4 simulator to practice on while im building the Trex. Either way im getting a TREX just a question of what i should do first. Also if i go the Trex route where can i Find a Trex 450Se v2 just the kit without servos and gyro, or would i be smarter to get it with at least servos and gyro.

also I am going to get a DX7 when i do the trex.

OR i guess maybe i could get the B400 PNP ( plug and play) $270 and get the DX7 that way i have the DX7 when i get the Trex.

Thanks for any Input ahead of time!

Troy
Old 11-02-2008, 06:07 PM
evdreamer

Default RE: Too Fly or not To Fly?

Troy,

The T-Rex doesn't have any electronics except the motor and ESC. The last time I crashed my 450 I think it cost around $40 and most of that was the canopy, but it held up pretty good. It really flies good, but I don't know how it compares to a B400 since I don't have one. I also use the DX7 with mine.

Nick
Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 PM
u)

Ok and i would think it would hold up pretty good since everythings aluminum plus i love the look of the Blue aluminum. I just dont want to spend $470 on a B400 and then want the trex right away so i think i will take that money and invest it in a Trex450 and also a Simulator.

So the Kit off Horizonhobby is $550 http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=AGNH1251CB
then i just need a DX7.....now one says "DX7air" for planes and helis is that the original DX7? because then i see a DX7 Special Edition which looks killer and has some extras just for heli pilots. Should i wait till march to get the DX7se?
after the Trex 450 and DX7 all i need is the Gyro and Servos correct? Recomendations? I see alot of people us the GY401 gyro and also alot of people using Hitec servos (which i love cause i use them in my rock crawer and have had awesome luck)

Again thanks for any help just trying to get some ideas so i can prepare the hole in my wallet
Old 11-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Wnuk

Troy,
I have never flown a Trex. I do own a B400. There are pluses and minuses with it. In my view, it is a very good heli to learn more then just hovering. It is capable of loops, rolls, stall turns, and other basic manoevurs (sp?) in stock configuration. I have done these with my stock B400 Upon my first crash, I replaced the servos with HS65's. The stock servos are a weak link. I find the stock gyro to be acceptable but will upgrade it as i progress. The rest of the heli is very solid too. Right now you can pick up a B400 RTF for $370 off of a reputable dealer on ebay. Add another $75 for good servos and for about $450 you will have a VERY nice heli. That's not to say a Trex isn't capable. It's more a matter of your budget.

Hers a link to a video I did with stock servos. The only thing non stock is the landing skids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XAQFmOIRGw

The B400 I believe is cheaper to repair on a crash because you are replacing plastic parts instead of metal ones. But remember, the aluminum Trex parts are what makes it such a good flying heli. Research both and let your budget be your guide.

Jim
Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Wnuk

Here's the ebay link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-FLITE-BLADE-40...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM
u)

Thanks for the Info but i wont buy anything off ebay i hate shopping online because if you have a problem you can never get any help. but unfortinatly my closest hobby shop is an hour and a half away one good thing is that the owner is older and very nowledgeable not just there so sell you stuff, and he can get me a trex from horizon hobby through him so i will probably go that route. when you buy things online you sometimes save hundreds of dollars but i would rather pay that and have good face to face customer service. just my OP. Back to the heli thing are the HS65's what most people use? also budget?[&:] whats that? No just kidding i do have a budget but its more or less just what i feel like spending. If i see something nice or good quality i will pay for it i dont like to cheapout on hobby stuff
Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 PM
BryFlyGuy67

ORIGINAL: ThAt GuY120

Thanks for the Info but i wont buy anything off ebay i hate shopping online because if you have a problem you can never get any help. but unfortinatly my closest hobby shop is an hour and a half away one good thing is that the owner is older and very nowledgeable not just there so sell you stuff, and he can get me a trex from horizon hobby through him so i will probably go that route. when you buy things online you sometimes save hundreds of dollars but i would rather pay that and have good face to face customer service. just my OP. Back to the heli thing are the HS65's what most people use? also budget?[&:] whats that? No just kidding i do have a budget but its more or less just what i feel like spending. If i see something nice or good quality i will pay for it i dont like to cheapout on hobby stuff
Horizon Hobby only sells the TREX SA. I would not recommend that model. You need to build your TREX from parts. I t really helps!

Get a combo kit from one of the Internet shops, or insist that your LHS guy get you a TREX 450 V2 kit with all the servos and gyro.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
evdreamer

Troy,

I got my 450 from GrandRC I also got my 600 there too. Anyways I think I got the 450 for around $475. I can't remember the exact price but it was cheaper than all the other places I looked.

I didn't even know there was a new DX7 coming out, but the original works great for me. Yeah you will need servos, receiver, batteries, charger/balancer, and a gyro. My 450 came with an Align 2100mAh battery, but I am sure you will want more to fly longer. I would recommend metal gear servos, since if you strip a gear in a crash it is pretty hard to get back to the servos without taking the frame apart. I am using DS285's for the cyclic, Futaba 9257 for the tail servo, and a GY401. I would recommend digital servos all around. I think the digital version of the HS65MG just came out. That would be a great servo for the 450.

Oh you don't need to replace the metal parts in a crash because mine have never bent. The spindle and mainshaft survived my last crash which isn't true for most helis. I would also recommend getting the Trueblood dampners since the stock ones wear out quickly and take the idler pully off because the belt will come of the pully if you don't take it off. There has been massive threads over this on Helifreak.

Nick
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
u)

ORIGINAL: BryFlyGuy67

Horizon Hobby only sells the TREX SA. I would not recommend that model. You need to build your TREX from parts. I t really helps!

Get a combo kit from one of the Internet shops, or insist that your LHS guy get you a TREX 450 V2 kit with all the servos and gyro.
BryFlyGuy67,

Horizon DOES sell the 450se V2 heres the link http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=AGNH1251CB
i posted it in my second post from the top.

Nick,

I have a IMAX B5 charger that i just purchased from hour and a half away hobbyshop so im good to go there. I beleive the digital version of the HS-65MG servos are the HS-5065MG correct me if im wrong. Is the GY401 the best bang for my buck or is there somthing else better I see alot of posts with people having problems with that GYRO .....maybe there just setting it up wrong? Whats the difference between the 2 servos that i hear people using with the GY401? Futaba 9257 and 9650?

keep the info commin!

Thanks again, Troy
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 PM
evdreamer

Troy,

The HS-5065MG sounds correct. If you want the best gyro then that would be a Spartan. I hear they sell out very quick if you wanted one. I have had no problems with my GY401. I can't remember the model number, but one of the Logitech gyros is also just as good or better than the 401 and it is lighter and smaller. The JR 770 gyro is also pretty good, but I hear it is hard to set up. The 9257 is faster than the 9650. I have used both and prefer the 9257. For a tail servo you want the fastest one you can get. It doesn't need a lot of torque and even less if you are using the Chineese weight mod which I have on mine and that makes the tail behave so much better.

Nick
Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 PM
u)

ORIGINAL: evdreamer

Troy,

The HS-5065MG sounds correct. If you want the best gyro then that would be a Spartan. I hear they sell out very quick if you wanted one. I have had no problems with my GY401. I can't remember the model number, but one of the Logitech gyros is also just as good or better than the 401 and it is lighter and smaller. The JR 770 gyro is also pretty good, but I hear it is hard to set up. The 9257 is faster than the 9650. I have used both and prefer the 9257. For a tail servo you want the fastest one you can get. It doesn't need a lot of torque and even less if you are using the Chineese weight mod which I have on mine and that makes the tail behave so much better.

Nick

im trying to find futuba stuff to see the prices and so far have just been looking on towerhobbies and can only find: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=MAH&V=FUT Its a S9254 Tail servo check it out maybe it replaced the 9257?

What is this Chinese weight mod u Speak of? sounds interesting...pics?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
evdreamer

Troy,

The 9254 is a standard size servo and the 9257 is a mini servo. I think the 9257 is around $50 and the same for the 9650. Towerhobbies probably doesn't have it. Try looking at helidirect or readyheli. They are two of my favorite places to shop for heli parts.

The chineese weight mod just adds weight to the tail grips, so it is easier for the servo to move the grips at operating speeds and it keeps the tail grips from rotating back in forth during flight without rudder input. Helifreak has some threads on it.

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50845.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1064274  
Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM
u)

It looks like you basicly Just added a couple of extra nuts on the bolts that hold the blades on the grips...right?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:58 PM
evdreamer

Troy,

Yeah I did, but it is just enough weight to have a noticable effect on the way it handles.

Nick
Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 PM
u)

Anybody else have any ideas or pros and cons on the b400 or a Trex 450
Old 11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
xyster101

I have the Blade 400 also with Hitec 65mg servos and I am running a gy401 now as the stock one crapped out. For the $400 price you get a decent heli, charger, battery, and great tx. If you plan on the future getting the dx7 and a T rex anyway, just go that route to start with. Why waste the money on a learning copter. The parts are actually the same or cheaper for the trex. I run align blades, feathering shaft, and bearings because they are cheaper then the stock blade 400 parts.
Don't get me wrong I fly the piss out of the 400 and it works wonderful. I have flown a trex too and it just felt a little better dialed in wise. Like driving a Civic Si or an Infinity G35. Both do similar things quiet well, one is just a bit more refined.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 PM
u)

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I can't justify spending 4 or 500 on the blade 400 just to use it for a couple of months, then never fly it again maybe I will get. The G4 sim first so I can practice while im saving for the Trex and also to practice new moves. A little practice never hurt anybody.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:33 AM
BryFlyGuy67

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I can't justify spending 4 or 500 on the blade 400 just to use it for a couple of months, then never fly it again maybe I will get. The G4 sim first so I can practice while im saving for the Trex and also to practice new moves. A little practice never hurt anybody.
Good call. A simulator is a MUST!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 AM
BryFlyGuy67

BryFlyGuy67,

Horizon DOES sell the 450se V2 heres the link http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=AGNH1251CB
i posted it in my second post from the top.
Well, I stand corrected. I just remember going to their site and clicking on the Align brand and the only Heli that came up was the TREX 450 SA.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 AM
u)

Maybe they just added it recently. Also I've heard rumors of a Trex450v3, antbody else heard about that?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Missileman

Its a shame you won't consider the Ebay route.
I paid $360 for my V2, the exact same package you posted at Horizon for $550, brand spankin new and free shipping, it was even from a reputable, known dealer.
I used a 10% off coupon and the average price on Ebay for that model is $400 to $450.
If you sign up for a Free acount at Live.com (microsoft search engine) and search for T-Rex 450 and buy from Ebay with Paypal you will get 25% refund from Microsoft (some special promotion they have going)
At any rate, if you won't deal with ebay at least look around. $550 is pretty steep for a V2.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Fly To Chill
My Feedback: (20)

Get the trex I bought a b400 and sold it rite away just never felt rite, the trex is a much better heli!!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM
nargargle

I have flown both though the rex was an SA model. The biggest difference I found was while the 400 will fly out of the box it does need to be looked over to double check pitch settings and such. when you buy a 450 you have to assemble it from scratch. You will learn more that way and it garanties your setup is correct as long as you know what you are doing. As for the DX7, I have one but I would have stuck with the DX6i except I want to go nitro in the future and will need the seventh channel to set up a govenor. Buy the way, the DX6i is easier to program IMO. Best of luck with either choice.

Almost forgot You can get the DX7 as a package with I beleive DS285's and an AR6100. Both excelent for the 450.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:29 AM
u)

Heres the deal i dont want to buy the heli its self off line at all unless i have to because WHEN i bring it to the local hobby shop for help, why should he help me when i didnt even buy anything from him when he could be helpin the guy behind me who purchases stuff from him keeping him in buisness. I just see this stuff everyday at my Store that i work at (Team Electronics We sell car audio and also We are the Largest Alltel agent In Upper michigan) and I hear almost everyday of someone buying a NEW cell phone for cheap then they get it and its refurbished or buying a car audio sub then they get it and its blown! and good luck getting ur money back. its just not worth the hassel to me. Just my O.P. I would love to save the money and buy my Trex off Ebay, But i Just dont want to get Srewed then have the local guy not help me cause i didnt get it through him.

Also i am going to get the kit and build it from scratch because that way i know how things work and can fix them easier. And i Built my Axial AX-10 Scorpion Rock Crawler from Scratch and i really enjoyed it.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
u)

So far here is what im going to go with...

Trex 450SEv2 -$550 From Horizonhobby.com
Spektrum DX7SE -$320 Not out till March 09'
Futuba GY401 -$150
Futuba 9257 mini servo for the tail $55
Hitec HS-5065 Digital Servos 3 @ -$43ea. Back order still

Total-$ 1204

Maybe i will just get the Trex off line but can somebody direct me to some websites other than EBAY to get the Trex450SEv2 Silver cheaper than $550

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.