Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Help with new mSR

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 AM
tsfarrell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new mSR

Yo, everybody. Based on some great recommendations given in this forum and my own subsequent research, Iordereda Blade mSR. Actually got itfor about $50 off buying on eBay from hobb-e-mart. Arrived today. No fun as yet. Knew it had remarks "servo arms may need adjustment". Might still. Have been very careful following directions. And yet, shortly after starting, found, with fresh batteries in controller and fully charged mSR battery, that the thing almost always powers down as soon as there are enough rotor RPMs to cause sufficient vibration. Then reams self. And in doing so, often gets channels confued. So servo motors are in there whining (obviously not a good thing!) and sometimes the thing, while throttle is at zero and trimmed at lowest setting, jumps into high gear, whichI am unable to do anything about using controller. Have to "catch" the runaway thing and unplug it. So, yes, Iam afraid of banging the thing up before Iget this fixed.

Best I could figure was that Ihad bent one of the prongs on the battery clip. Because I could not get the clip to "click" anymore. So I used a very thing straightedge screwdriver to adjust the prongs until I could achieve a good, tight click. That seems to help some. Ialso note that, while holding copter by shell, it tends not to go dead and I can power it up. Meanwhile Ihave also kind of ascertained that the clip ultimately may have nothing to do with all this. I have actually held the clip to battery while testig all the servos and rotors ... and in this situation the thing still powers off and rearms as before.

Ido see there are other sockets / plugs on the foreward side fo the circuit board. Ireally don't want to pull off the shell yet, unless Ireally have to. But it occurs to me that, at least once, the copter, while going nuts and ignoring controller, flung the landing rails with batter pack off its bottom, got the tangled in the main rotor, and wrapped a couple times in it.That could certainly mess stuff up.

Let me assure everybody that Ihave been, since realizing there is a power interruption and rearming, carefully disconnecting / reconnecting mSR battery when that happens. And of course, placing connectedmSR on floor, beyond 3 feet from controller.

The mSR actually did not do this at first. But it was not working right either. Perhaps this goes bath to the servo rods. Idon't really see how to "adjust" these without disaembling/reassembling the entire thing. Idid, while landing rails were off the bottom, turn the servo gears manually to check for a jam. None. However, I do see a lot of motor"tremor" when on

I did send a customer support email to hobb-e-mart. They claim they back what they sell. Great, because the manufacturer's warranty does not apply here. I assume I will hear from them, but it being the holidays, it may take a while.

Thanks.

Would love any suggestions here. I really don't want to break this in the process of getting it off the groun.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:40 PM
tsfarrell

Default RE: Help with new mSR

Hmm ... so I ended up removing shell(not a big deal after all!). And attemted to find other loose connectors. Couldn't find any. I see that the main battery leads are directly soldered into the circuit board. Perhaps the solder joins can go loose? I also wonder whether, despite my mSR batteries always being fully charged, there is some kind of power drain which causes the thing to go dead(no blue light) then rearm (blue light back on). I've seen this happen sometimes while rotor is turning and I am trimming. Clicking the trim buttons seems to cause the blue light to dim. Iam more and more thinking something really is up with the servo rods. At times the servo gears are kind of vibrating without turning. Sometimes they actually whine. I swear I did the bind operation correction. All batteies at high-charge. Followed all the rules.

For now, I just put the whole thing back in the box and closed the lid, till I can get some idea of what to fix and how to fix it. As things are now, even while I am being cautious, the thing is getting banged up. When the main rotor decides to go nuts all on its own, twice the impact actually took the rotors apart. Lots of fun figuring out how to screw them back together.

Yes, the more I mess with this thing, the more I learn yet the more Irisk breaking it. Fortunate that it can be rebuilt on a by-component basis. But, wow, it's brand new!This is like when Itook my new 1995 Civic to have remote control windows installed with security system, and those goofs at Circuit City drilled ragged holes in my doors and ran wires through wrapped in electrical tape.

Still, the remote control windows were cool. not as cool as the remote control moon roof.

Hell, ya'll!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:07 PM
klaze

ORIGINAL: tsfarrell

Yo, everybody. Based on some great recommendations given in this forum and my own subsequent research, I ordered a Blade mSR. Actually got it for about $50 off buying on eBay from hobb-e-mart. Arrived today. No fun as yet.
Congrats I love this heli for flying indoors.

Knew it had remarks ''servo arms may need adjustment''. Might still. Have been very careful following directions. And yet, shortly after starting, found, with fresh batteries in controller and fully charged mSR battery, that the thing almost always powers down as soon as there are enough rotor RPMs to cause sufficient vibration.
So immediately after inserting a fully charged battery it powered down at full throttle?

Are you charging the battery on the E-Flite charger powered by a AC adapter? Are you positive you waited for the charge light to be off and not just blinking slowly?

Send it back it's defective.

Then reams self. And in doing so, often gets channels confued. So servo motors are in there whining (obviously not a good thing!) and sometimes the thing, while throttle is at zero and trimmed at lowest setting, jumps into high gear, which I am unable to do anything about using controller. Have to ''catch'' the runaway thing and unplug it. So, yes, I am afraid of banging the thing up before I get this fixed.
Reacts on it's own leaving you no control? Swaps channels?

I don't think i've seen ANYONE on the forums describing anything remotely close to what you are describing.

Send it back.

Best I could figure was that I had bent one of the prongs on the battery clip. Because I could not get the clip to ''click'' anymore. So I used a very thing straightedge screwdriver to adjust the prongs until I could achieve a good, tight click. That seems to help some. I also note that, while holding copter by shell, it tends not to go dead and I can power it up. Meanwhile I have also kind of ascertained that the clip ultimately may have nothing to do with all this. I have actually held the clip to battery while testig all the servos and rotors ... and in this situation the thing still powers off and rearms as before.
Bent a batter prong on the clip?

They go into the battery you don't really need a "Click" as long as the prongs are inside the battery and making a connection.

If you damaged this connection weird stuff would happen.

Ignoring input from the controller is something that happens near the Low Voltage Cutoff.. So beware of that as it can cause you to not be able to throttle down.. If the blue light blinks immediately get it back to the ground.. I don't even fly to that point 6 minutes or less on a fully charged battery..

Buy a new main board, send it in for repair, or try to send it back as defective..

I do see there are other sockets / plugs on the foreward side fo the circuit board. I really don't want to pull off the shell yet, unless I really have to. But it occurs to me that, at least once, the copter, while going nuts and ignoring controller, flung the landing rails with batter pack off its bottom, got the tangled in the main rotor, and wrapped a couple times in it. That could certainly mess stuff up.
Wow i've crashed my heli full speed in to the wall, floor, ceiling, etc.. and nothing like this has ever happened..

Yes that can definitely do bad things.

Buy a new main board or send the old one in for repair.

Let me assure everybody that I have been, since realizing there is a power interruption and rearming, carefully disconnecting / reconnecting mSR battery when that happens. And of course, placing connected mSR on floor, beyond 3 feet from controller.
3+ feet?.. You can arm them right next to each other..

The mSR actually did not do this at first. But it was not working right either. Perhaps this goes bath to the servo rods. I don't really see how to ''adjust'' these without disaembling/reassembling the entire thing. I did, while landing rails were off the bottom, turn the servo gears manually to check for a jam. None. However, I do see a lot of motor ''tremor'' when on
You adjust the swashplate (servo linkages) by removing the servo linkages off the swashplate and twisting.

If you mess with the heli in your hands while it's powered up the servos will twitch..

Taking the canopy off makes this easier. You really need to get comfortable taking the canopy off.. As you use crash this heli you are going to need to completely disassemble it to repair it..

I did send a customer support email to hobb-e-mart. They claim they back what they sell. Great, because the manufacturer's warranty does not apply here. I assume I will hear from them, but it being the holidays, it may take a while.
Horizon and E-Flite are great companies when it comes to Customer Support they will definitely be more willing to help than Hobby Mart..

I would send it back to Hobby Mart as defective and be a lot more careful with the next one you get.

Thanks.

Would love any suggestions here. I really don't want to break this in the process of getting it off the groun.
From the crazyness you have described the thing is already broken.

Maybe DOA or maybe you broke it.. Hard to tell..

Hmm ... so I ended up removing shell (not a big deal after all!). And attemted to find other loose connectors. Couldn't find any. I see that the main battery leads are directly soldered into the circuit board. Perhaps the solder joins can go loose? I also wonder whether, despite my mSR batteries always being fully charged, there is some kind of power drain which causes the thing to go dead (no blue light) then rearm (blue light back on). I've seen this happen sometimes while rotor is turning and I am trimming. Clicking the trim buttons seems to cause the blue light to dim. I am more and more thinking something really is up with the servo rods. At times the servo gears are kind of vibrating without turning. Sometimes they actually whine. I swear I did the bind operation correction. All batteies at high-charge. Followed all the rules.
You definitely have something majorly wrong. A bad connection can cause some of what you are describing....

The servo rods are not the culprit as they are just metal rods connecting the servo to the swashplate..

For now, I just put the whole thing back in the box and closed the lid, till I can get some idea of what to fix and how to fix it. As things are now, even while I am being cautious, the thing is getting banged up. When the main rotor decides to go nuts all on its own, twice the impact actually took the rotors apart. Lots of fun figuring out how to screw them back together.
"twice the impact actually took the rotors apart"

I don't know how this is even possible...

But to clarify which rotors came apart?

You broke the blade grips? the black piece popped off the back of the tail motor? The rotor on the tailmotor popped off?

These little details you slip in are the biggest clues. Major crashes like that can cause big problems..

Yes, the more I mess with this thing, the more I learn yet the more I risk breaking it. Fortunate that it can be rebuilt on a by-component basis.
The thing is already broken.

It may have been a manufacturers defect but maybe not..

Go to a local Hobby Shop that carries E-Flite and have them look at it..

I'm thinking you have multiple things wrong with this heli...
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
tsfarrell

Well, that's all disappointing, but thatnks for what sounds to probably be the case. Have not heard back from hobb-e-mart yet. Will give them a day or two more ahdn start complaining. They havea two week return period. I've left the thing i the box since I wrote my pos here. Has occured to me that there has to be a short somewhere in the circuitry. However, I'm waiting to communicate withi seller beforoe proceedign with this.

Thank.s

Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 AM
terry kelly

you must have ben the guy bidding agianstme on this one.. glad i didnt buy it now, it seems the helis and other stuff is used as demos there and most are junked, then they will not reply to you..glad i didnt win this one, buy new next time and have warranty...good luck

tk
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM
tsfarrell

They post about four per day it seems.They state emphatically on their site that they will go out of their way to "fix" stuff. We'll see.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 PM
hobb-e-mart

Don't get a chance to get on here much, but saw this and wanted to follow up. I do believe you have received your new Helicopter and all is well with it. If you have any further problems, feel free to give us a call. Sorry for the slight 2-day delay, the 4 day Holiday weekend had us backed up quite a bit.
Keep in mind, your item may not have a Manufacture's warranty when you buy from us, but I can assure you if it is not as we describe it, we will take care of you.
Thanks
Jess
Hobb-e-Mart
Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 PM
tsfarrell

Just to clarify, hobb-e-mart did provide a replacemen mSR and the service was excellent. Ican readily recommen hobb-e-mart.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
bcr1953chevy

Does the new one work correctly?

How long did it take them to reply to you and provide a replacement?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Sasquatchin

Glad to hear that they replaced your MSR. It is always nice to see a company with good customer service.

How are you enjoying your new MSR?