Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 AM
dunkonu23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Max,Sometimes motors just run hot. ESC's depend on airflow for cooling, so chances are you'll be fine once you're rippin' (which will be VERY soon!) things will run cooler. On the offchance there is a problem, that chance is that it's mechanical. Check your pinon/main gear mesh and make sure you have a little backlash. If the gear is too tight, it will cause friction which will increase current draw and cause heating. Also, if your motor is an OEM'd Scorpion, they tend to run a little on the hot side in my experience - oil the bearings. Otherwise, it's probably just normal because you switched to idle up. Scott
Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 AM
maxmax77

thanks Scott [8D] I've looked at a couple forums about my motor now, and I've read that many people's motor, like you said, just runs hot. I'll try to get the ESC closer to the ventilation holes too.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
dunkonu23

Well, we had a thunderstorm blow through, so the electricity has been out for four hours.  I'm typing this on my laptop powered by a little power inverter hooked to my car battery.  The car is in the driveway idling.   My wife went to the store to get some subs... no stuffed pork chops tonight.  So, this is the last post before we leave in the AM unless we get power back. 

Ivan and company, have a very safe trip to IRCHA.  We'll see you there.  Y'all take care and hopefully, we'll have some video and updates from the Mecca of RC Helicopters.. The IRCHA Jamboree!

Scott
Old 08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
maxmax77

To all of you going to IRCHA, Have an awesome time [8D]

I kinda got ahead of myself with the Mini Titan today and dumped it..I was doing some fast CCW piros and I over-rotated on the last one, by the time I realized what had happened the heli was 2 feet from a tree branch. I was able to hit throttle hold and save myself a lot more damage, but I still stripped a servo and bent the main shaft and flybar. It'll be up again soon [8D]
Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 AM
dunkonu23

Max,

OUCH!! You're doing good though, my friend. Don't let stuff like that do to you what it did to me!

Everyone...

As soon as I post this, I'm going to start packing the car. Power didn't come on until about a half-hour ago, so as a result, Ihad a crappy nights sleep... no CPAP. UGH. But, undeterred, I've got a 5-hour energy drink for around 9am! LOL! IRCHA... OR BUST!

Scott
Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 AM
maxmax77

Scott, lol I'm almost glad I crashed because it was FINALLY because I FLEW wrong, not because I set up the heli wrong, or because parts randomly went flying off
Old 08-10-2011, 04:09 AM
9sec240

Max, congrads on your first "real" crash. It happens when you push yourself. I crash several times a day now with the mCP X.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 AM
maxmax77

lol thanks Ivan. As the phrase goes, "No falls No balls!"
Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM
phillyD

aaggrrhh I have not been falling recently Seems i gotta go find a new pair
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM
dunkonu23

Safely made it to IRCHA. Wow... got the generator, exchanged the 120HV for a modded one, soldered it up, installed it and flew it once for a couple of minutesthat's all I had in the battery. Tomorrow, more flying.

It was EXTREMELYwindy today. It was blowing so hard it was difficult to solder, but I got it done. It's not supposed to be as windy tomorrow. Ivan, bring a sweatshirt for the evenings, it gets cool. If the wind would slow down some, it would be absolutely perfect.

Scott
Old 08-11-2011, 03:47 AM
9sec240

Scott, it's around 6:45 am here. I can't sleep any longer. We going to start packing and try to be on the road around 10 am. I think that Alex and Gabby are going to head out later as they have stuff to do today.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Before I generate the ads, I thought I'd offer you guys 1st - I'm dumping my Blade mSR, Blade SR and Guru Xeon. PM me if you're interested.

Chuck
Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 AM
matthewcornell

ORIGINAL: RMG2

An even bigger influence on roll was the heli's phase setting. Ifound that I could make the heli roll straight as a string or do more like a barrel roll with the nose pitching up just by adjusting the phase setting.

Our little 450s do not have adjustable phase blocks on the head so the only way to adjust the phasing is by using TXmixes.
I crashed my Blade 400 trying my second roll. It acted unpredictably, and I suspect it's the phasing you're talking about. I tried my third roll on my T-Rex 450 Sport, and it worked beautifully, soI don't *think* it was [much] pilot error. I'll also check CG once I get it back together. Question:Where can I learn more about phase and fixing it? Thanks very much!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:46 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Most of the boys are at IRCHA, so be patient for your answer!

Chuck
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 PM
dunkonu23

Today, Igot one of the two best surprises I've ever had, from the nicest folks I've run into in a VERY, VERYlong time - Ivan, Kasia (sp?), Alex and Gabby. Ithink about it and I'm really moved. Ijust want to publicly say thank you guys. Today, you saw an old fart get all choked up. So thoughful and completely unexpected. Thank you again, my friends. I hope we all get together sometime soon, but it that's not in the cards,I hope to see you all again at IRCHAnext year.

I'll never forget this year. Thank you again...so much!

Scott
Old 08-14-2011, 09:22 AM
phillyD

Strewth..wish I was there to see that one.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:16 PM
9sec240

We are back safe and sound. Weather put a dampener on the event right at the end. They canceled the fireworks and night fly.

It was great hanging out with Scott and Kyle again. Scott's flying has improved dramatically since last year. Looking forward to IRCHA next year. Hopefully more of us can attend.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Enthlapy

Scott,

The pleasure is all ours! Like Ivan said "You're Good People!". I am thankful i got to meet such wonderful people. I had a blast with you guys. Gaby had so much fun we're thinking about going there for long weekends. We didn’t have fireworks but let me tell you what, you guys have truly made this a memorable event for me and Gaby. We hope to meet with you guys again soon!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:41 AM
dunkonu23

Thanks guys! This was my favorite IRCHAever. Hanging with everyone was just awesome. I'm glad everyone made it home safe.

The next "away"fun fly I'm planning on attending is in Dayton, Ohio on September 16 and 17th.

6th Annual Helicopter Gathering

Friday September 16 (starting at noon), and Saturday Sept. 17, 2011

Nitro Open Flying Begins at 0900
Electrics: No restrictions on time.
Fishing Pond behind field (if you really want to fish instead of fly)

Landing Fee: $20
No Camping Fees.
Lunch and drinks included for all attendees.

Last year, it was the best fun fly. The people were all just super, and I got a lot of stick time, there. The food... OMG, the food! Outstanding and lots of it. From the standard hot dogs and hamburgers to jambalaya... even crawfish heads (which were great, btw).

If you can't make it, cool. If you can, GREAT! I know it's a drive. In my opinion, it's truly worth it. It's small and super-duper friendly!

Scott

Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 AM
dunkonu23

ORIGINAL: matthewcornell

ORIGINAL: RMG2

An even bigger influence on roll was the heli's phase setting. Ifound that I could make the heli roll straight as a string or do more like a barrel roll with the nose pitching up just by adjusting the phase setting.

Our little 450s do not have adjustable phase blocks on the head so the only way to adjust the phasing is by using TXmixes.
I crashed my Blade 400 trying my second roll. It acted unpredictably, and I suspect it's the phasing you're talking about. I tried my third roll on my T-Rex 450 Sport, and it worked beautifully, soI don't *think* it was [much] pilot error. I'll also check CG once I get it back together. Question:Where can I learn more about phase and fixing it? Thanks very much!
Phasing... Iposted some things about it in regard to Flybarless helicopters a couple of months ago. Phasing issues usually show up in rolls or flips. In rolls and flips, you'll see the tail move to one side of the helicopter or the other during the move. It can also happen during loops. So, your goal is to get that tail movement out of the helicopter. Some helicopters have an adjustment called a phasing ring. This is found under the main body of the head and usually has pins that go into the washout base. Align Flybarred helicopters and some other models do not have a phasing ring, so phasing is hard set.

Think of the blades rotating as a disc divided into quadrants. Next think of the rotating portion of the swashplate as a disc divided into quandrants, too. It's easier to see with the swashplate since the rotating portion generally has four balls. To get a helicopter phase neutral, the swashplate quadrants and the blade quadrants must line up perfectly. You perform this adjustment via the phasing ring by moving it around the main shaft. Most phasing rings will only allow you to move them a few degrees one way or the other.

To learn more, I'd just do a web search for something like "Helicopters and phasing".

Scott
Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM
dunkonu23

More broken T-Rex 500 parts found today... so far the total damage is $213.00. I found the tail output shaft was bent. Both upper and lower main bearings were trash. I lost a link and cracked two ends. But, it's all good.

Tip... if you convert your DS510 plastic gear servos to metal, you will need to get new screws for the arms. The output shaft on the servo is metal so the self tapping screws for the plastic gears don't work. I used some button head screws from the T-Rex 500 RCScrewz kit. Works great.

Scott
Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
9sec240

Ouch Scott. That was a big one. My 500 crash was a big one too but i managed to reduce the cost. The washout pins in the head block broke but I was able to replace them with some precision ground dowel pins. The flybar was bent but I straightened it. Tail shaft.. straightened it. Frame cracked.. so what. Canopy cracked everywhere... who cares. LOL.. I ended up replacing two servo gears, main blades, main shaft, main gear, tail boom, skid and pipe. Seemed to fly fine at IRCHA.

Several times at IRCHA, I had an issue where I was trying to correct a tail in right lean by giving right cyclic. This caused it to lean more right and confuse the crap out of me. I crashed the mCP X into the guys canopy next to us. The rest of the times I figured out what I did and got it sorted out before crashing. I think the reason I was doing this was because I have been doing so much nose in and nose in inverted that it has become second nature to pull right for a right lean. I guess I need to fly more tail in now!!! LOL.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 AM
dunkonu23

I wish I had the tools to straighten things... I just have the basic stuff. At least the torque tube wasn't bent... I have plenty of those. Figures, huh? Oh, yeah... tail hub, too.. ireplaced that. I had one of those, though. Ithink this is the single most expensive crash I've had. You should see my beater 500 canopy. That thing is just the floppiest thing ever... At least the new canopy is fixable and shouldn't show.

Man, your inverted flying is really gone to new levels. Instead of shooting video of you flying, Ijust sat there mesmerized. I wouldn't have known you had correction issues if you hadn't said, but yeah... tail in is the way to go!! You had quite a few people watching you fly the mCPX, though. It was cool to see. Then there was your chair!

Ich habbe keine V-Stabi!

Back to work today... UGH. Ido NOTlike getting up at 3:15AM.

Scott

Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 AM
maxmax77

Scott, ouch..that'd hit my wallet hard Hope you get it back up flying soon!

tryouts for the golf team are this week, and you have to get up at 5 to be there on time (not as bad as Scott though!). Yesterday I shot a 46, today a 50. Yikes.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 PM
maxmax77

Max + Boredom + Spraypaint = new canopy job [sm=bananahead.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89973.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1649514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66133.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1649515  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.