Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
clp.eng
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Struggling with single rotor basics V2

Phil - Thanks for the traffic report. I remember when I was down there, the roads were pretty narrow & not a lot of vehicle traffic but lotsa' walkers! The hills were murder on the tourists, though. That'll be me! LOL

So now we know how you can afford to live in paradise & buy RC stuff - some of the gold musta' got "stuck" to your shoes. Paid your dues it sounds like & yet you can still laugh & have a good time!

Since I don't have much to do, send your head up here & I'll edit it for you!

Sissy, only 28 MPH winds. Heck I was out walking in that much wind yesterday & it was snowing. I could barely keep upright! I'll be patient & wait for that vid. I bet that thing will look cool in the air.

Scott- Ground is my preference. LOL

Worked on the airboat today. The steering servo does not line up with the push rod, so it binds. I moved the ball on the servo in one hole but them the link rubs on the side of the servo. Not sure what to do as everything is fixed. Need to look for a fix with the least amount of modification.

Chuck
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
phillyD

Thanks Sir Chuck
You made my day...I'll edit my own cotton pickin 'ead. I like left over parts LMAO
On the traffic...no walking unless you want. Because of the same hills and because of no major public transp system , nearly everybody drives...well it is not touted here as the highest per capita of vehicles maybe this side of Florida; bout 25,000 people(including children andmendicantslike me)in all the islands that make up the BVI and i average 13,000 vehicles on the road...Oh that mean no walking but no parking LMAO. Collapsible vehicles are the way to go to find parking or somethines you can't get out of where you parked.

On the flying front I nealy got a fit. All of my batteries is shouwing one cell damaged on the charger...not enough use? I changed the charging board and it seems my problem went away. I would have hated to buy 5 hyperions etc as all you planks depend on the weight and dimensions of those batteries. I would have hated to buy different brand batteries (weight and dimensions) and have to find time to hobby everything until kosher again. Well as per me I have two spare balance boards.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: phillyD

Incedentely Sire Dave
I just removed 3 of the magnets today and put another of my locking mechanisms shown in my earlier post at the bottom of the nose. I also put a screw through the horizontal stab. maybe I'll get another test fly Sunday.
So was that the yellow picture? If so, I can see a hinge, but not a latch. How does it work, how do you like it?
Sounds like you used to have quite the slog to work.
Glad you battery "problem" worked itself out

Scott-
Vrooom, vroom... Sounds like you had a much better time with your home than Ivan did. Maybe he should hire you for his next house purchase.
LMAO: Ground or Chuck!

Chuck-
HW problems suck (TX and airboat), but at least the problem is easier to see.
I'll have to start-up Phoenix and download the model.

Just figuring out what cool apps I want to put on my Nexus 10...

-Dave
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
phillyD

Right on Sir Dave
That is a nylon hynge use for rc planks aileron, elevator rudduer control surfaces. I don't know how strong i am but I think I applied at least 30 lbs pulling force to the nose and it never gave a mm. I did try to burst one in a test run before mounting. I think i applued at least 30lbs of force to one nylon hinge, then i put it back in the parts box. So three of them....

That wire is stainless steel wire with a little bend so it does not come out. It is not a slack fit either. i take out the wire to remove the nose.

No test run yet as the wind is sweet right now; not that i can't hover it at least , but for a trimming flight it is no use.
Cheerio
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30766.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1838660  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM
clp.eng

Dave - good deal on Nexus. Let me know what you think when you've used it a bit. The Kindle is OK. I have the greatest pinball game - takes me back to my misspent youth in taverns! LOL The 300X is close but none really fly like the real thing. I think part of it is the perspective - I can see a lot more when I'm flying then the sim shows. I can't wait for the connector they'll be putting in our heads soon.

PhilD - Those are some serious blows there! Barnacles... Interesting use of hinges.

The pic is the stuff I'll be hauling to the dome if I can stay awake to make it (11PM to 1AM!, tho I never made it past 12:30) there tomorrow night.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43727.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1839093  
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 AM
dunkonu23

Today is motor home day!!!   But... it's raining.

Scott
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 AM
dunkonu23

Hmm... Pinball...

Begs the question... if you could get a classic pinball game, restored, and tactically positioned in your home, which would it be?

Me? Alladins Castle... hands down. I wasted a lot of money on it!

Dave... Ivan's got a special situation. I sure hope they get things sorted, soon. Imay have been wrong being so vocal about things. Ivan's a smart guy so I'm sure he knows best.

Scott
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM
clp.eng

Scott - my drinking buddy was a "roamer" so I rarely played the same pinball game more than a couple of times. I am truly amazed at the new ones out there. Took the grandkids to one of those indoor "playland/arcades". They went off collecting tickets to redeem for junk & I burned a few bucks on the three pinball games - fancy ramps, sounds, lights, etc. I actually owned one Williams - but I'll be darned if I can remember the name! I had a full set of manuals & spare parts & kept in going for years.

You'll need to explain to me the significance of rain & the new tenament on wheels! LOL

For the airboat, I'm thnking I might go over to the LHS & see if they have some thin plywood & I'll either remake the plastic servo platform in ply or create a servo holder w/o the platform & mount the components on the bottom of the boat. Choices...

I need to call Ivan again & see what's going on w/ the new house. I saw the pics of it & I understand why he wants it & is willing to put up w/ the cr@p to get it.

Chuck
Old 01-12-2013, 03:16 PM
clp.eng

I went to the dome w/ the mCPX (5 out of 5 packs), Blade 300 (2 out of 4) & KDS 450 (2 out of 2). I did a bunch of nose in & side to side w/ the mCPX but the packs are getting weak as they don't last as long as the timer. I tried one forward flip & just slammed it into the gnd blades 1st. Sure would like to know what I'm doing wrong or not doing as I can flip all day on the sim. The 300 feels "funny" in idle up - twitchy, disconnected & altitude was inconsistent. The KDS is like flying a big, slow semi truck but I don't mind. I may back it off a little next time to make it more responsive.

All in all a mixed evening. I was the only heli pilot there who did NOT fly it upside down! Lotsa' multi-copters - a couple of quads, a tri (very cool) & one six (not sure what the term for 6 is!).

Dog tired today...

Charging the packs.
Chuck
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM
phillyD

Well Chucky
The Hughes crashed. It just went out of control and hit the dirt. It all happened in 2 seconds. I tried to get the vid but the camera was badly positioned so i'm only left analysing the sound, that how i know how quickly it happened. Notime for throttle hold etc. I have already dismantled half of the heli. Bearing everything needs to change. So we are togeather holding hands with the big azz fish LMAO
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
clp.eng

Oh, gees, Phil, I'm sorry to hear that. How is the cool body? Did it survive?

I'm definitely reassessing my heli "career"! One of my 1st reactions Saturday morning was wondering how much I could recover if I sold the "new' 450...

Chuck
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM
phillyD

Generally the cool body survived..nose, a strut and a skid did not make it. Good thing helidirect had one in stock(a whole fuse) Reassessing the heli careerI know someone got $300 for their's when times was a little better.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:20 PM
clp.eng

Then last night I spent a couple of hours looking at Co-Pilot V2 which costs probably as much or than the heli I'd put it in!

Chuck
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 PM
phillyD

Which heli are you thinking boutusing that on Chuck
Old 01-17-2013, 04:41 AM
dunkonu23

Chuck,

Reassessing?   Doesn't sound too promising.    

Phil,

Sorry to about your crash, my friend.   Damn helicopters!   I hope you get it fixed soon. 

On another note... no vacation out of the country this year... the motorhome took care of those funds rather nicely.    Speaking of which...  The motor home had old CRT TV's with analog tuners, so... those had to go.. I pulled those and the VCR (analog, too) out Sunday.   The new TV's, mounts, etc will arrive today.   Then to get them mounted.   The reason I'm mentioning this is that I've learned a lot through helicopters, Chuck.  Stuff I wasn't able to do or even think how to do has changed immensely just because of helicopters.   Please stick around.  I'm certain one day the light bulb will go off.   If not, you may simply be overthinking things.   Instead of making things difficult, why not just have fun?   No need to burn up all your packs doing nose in stuff... just do portions of packs, then have fun.  

Just my $.02.

Scott
Old 01-17-2013, 04:31 PM
clp.eng

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/mcp-x-bl-bnf-BLH3980?cm_mmc=email-_-130117BLHmCPXBLAnn-_-Image1-_-BLH3980]New stuff[/link]
Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 AM
dunkonu23

Now, that's interesting... Brushless!

Scott
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 AM
clp.eng

Phil - any thoughts on the cause of the crash yet? I've been kinda' lookin around for a 450 FBL when I came across the Co-Pilot. I decided not to convert one of my 450's to FBL 'cuz the head isn't as effecient as one designed from scratch (though HK has FBL head parts for 10 bucks!). So it would either go on the "new" heli or a newer FBL one.

I still need to do more work w/ the KDS heli (flying & tweaking). And then the mCPX BL is coming out, so I want one of those. Of course, most of the parts aren't the same (blades, servo, head, blade grips, etc).

Scott - the only "fun" I have is doing nose in - I don't know how to do anything else (but hover), hence my "struggling". I think it would be fun to flip & roll & etc.

This early in the morning, I'm planning on another trip to the dome (I sorta' have to as I bought the discount package!) tonight. I'll probably bring the same three helis. I want to try the 300 X again & document what seems to be wrong so I can try to fix it.

Chuck
Old 01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
phillyD

Yes Sir Chuck
I do have thoughts on the crash and am making effort to rectify. I don't wanna say as I'm the only one I've heard with that problem. I'm already lives in the looney bin and don't want folks to find another place for me. They might want to euthanise. My heli pitched foward and could not be righted.

According to the sound in the badly focused vid, from the time of the malfunction it was 2 secondes to the crash. Investigation.. the bell crank for the elevator came out...Investigation.. that screw only has3 threads extending into the elevator arm..investigation... the screw still screws into the elevator arm, meaning none of the plastic pulled out under force. I checked my spares and the screw is the same length in the packet. SCREWTOOSHORT from manufacturers.I put the screw in the bell crankalone and tried to screw it in; yes and then it tightened against the stop in the bell crank, giving the illusion the screw hasgonea good way in..only 3 threads outside. Maybe the added weight tested all areas.I will have to change it to a machine screw as I can't find any 2mm self tapping screws longer than the stock of 11mm long. I found machine screws 20mm long from bolts depot.com. The original screw seems identical to the futaba servo mounting screw.
aggrrhh
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM
phillyD

Scotty
Can the easy mesh motor mount work on the Hurri plastic frame?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 AM
clp.eng

Phil - you're now the bus DRIVER! Yikes, they're hard enough to fly w/o the MFR screwing (pun intended LOL) things too! Glad you found it. Anybody know a good lawyer????

Went to the dome last night. I invited Ivan to join me & he did! Still no house the poor bugger! All his heli stuff locked away all these months.

He can still fly (AND CRASH!). We were trying to figure out why my mCP X would not flip for me (I tried 3 times last night) - tail blow out in spite of the fact it's the V2 tail with a new motor. He could fly it inverted but it would not do a full flip. His last try broke a link - no spares with! So we turned to the 300 that was acting badly. Turns out he had changed some setting in the Tx when we worked on it last time but being in the basement, we could not go into idle up. Turns out I got one of those unbalanced motors. He masked the symptoms with the T&P curves. So it flies just fine (for me) until I get around to replacing the motor.

Dummy me, I brought the charging adapter connector not the battery adapter connector for the 300 so only able to fly 1 pack. ARGHHH. Today it's getting a complete connector make over! LOL

A guy at the dome said he heard the new mCP X BL is coming out next week.

Chuck
Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 AM
9sec240

Hi all. Chuck, nice seeing you again. Thanks for letting me get some stick time on your mCP X. I might have to take a trip to storage and see if I can find one of mine, some batteries and a charger. I really do not remember the tail on mine being that easy to blow out but then again, I have been flying the Nano so my perception might be a bit skewed.

It felt good flying for a bit yesterday. Nick let me take a couple of his planes for a few laps around the dome too so I got some plane time too.

Scott, I see you are getting the motor home. Awesome. I hope that goes well for you. Looking forward to seeing you at IRCHA this year. Any idea how quickly the camping spots with hookups fill up? I can probably borrow the shop's for IRCHA so we could have our own little city. LOL.

Phil, you crashed something? Possibly the MD500? I sure hope not. I'll have to go back and catch up on things.

Any word from any of our lost sheep? I sure hope everyone is doing well. I am over 4 months into waiting on an approval for the house. The seller accepted my offer and cashed my earnest money check on Sep 17th. I am waiting on the sellers bank to approve the short sale amount to get a "clear to close". Supposedly the file has finally made it to a negotiator who will review everything and hopefully get my offer approved. My attorney said this might take a month (its already been two weeks) so hopefully soon. Then maybe another month to get to the closing table. That would put me just short of 6 months. This is all just extremely frustrating.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:36 PM
phillyD

Right on Sir Chuck
I'm driving LOL

Now now now Sir Ivan Good to have you back... I would let you fly my stuff too LMAO
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
dunkonu23

Phil,

Unfortunately, no.   The front bell cranks need to be pushed out a bit.

Ivan,

Good to "see" you my friend.   It's good there's progress on your house!   IRCHA... I've been calling AMA weekly to get a spot reserved, but they claim not until mid February/March.   UGH.   I'd like nothing more than to form a little city with you, bro!    

Scott
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM
9sec240

Scott, I see you got a Compass Warp 360. I was reading about them on HF and it sure seems like there have been some design issues. COG, tail booms are thin, tail boxes not square, guide pulleys not being square, main gears needing to be shimmed etc. I am curious how you are experiencing yours. Have you flown it much? Experienced any issues? Do you feel there is a need for Compass to make improvements before you would recommend this heli to someone? If you feel this is better over PMs, that is fine too. I can understand that.

I am excited about the double brushless version of the mCP X although the weight is up 40% over the V2. I wonder if it will still take a crash well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.