Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > E-Flite Helicopters
Reload this Page >

DX6i with a CP Pro2 = destruction

Community
Search
Notices
E-Flite Helicopters Discuss the line of E-Flite mini and micro helis including the Blade CP, CP Pro, Blade CX, etc

DX6i with a CP Pro2 = destruction

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Aframomum
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX6i with a CP Pro2 = destruction

Hi Patryn,

If you are referring to the step washers that go against the grips in the head, actually it has nothing really to do with tolerances and the feathering shaft being made too long.

The 'steps' in the washer go against the grips to give the bearing in the grip a raised lip to ride against as the grip turns during collective changes. If the washers weren't there the bearing would be rubbing against a flat washer creating drag and binding the collective. So in retrospect it is very important to make sure all the step washers are: (1) placed in the right direction and (2) actually present and not laying on your counter somewhere by mistake.

Don't want to spook you but with a larger heli the importance of small parts being in the right place becomes much more important. Do research the different heli's out there and you may want to check out the website www.helifreak.com. There is a guy, Finless, that has actual build video's of various heli's - sorta a step by step instruction which is of invaluable help. He also includes instruction on the setup of the heli, including the head and radio settings - not just the numbers but what they mean in relation to how the heli will perform.

Mark

P.S. - will have to check out your video when I get home in the morning, can't watch them from work. []
Old 03-27-2010, 07:34 PM
patryn
My Feedback: (1)

I'm an engineer, so I understand the step washers and spacing between the inner and outer races. I'm referring to the 8 other washers needed. So every time you pull the head apart you're chasing a gaggle of little feather thin washers all over the place. Plus it isn't like they sell these washers in the hardware kit, so you have to buy a whole other set of grips just to get'm. Pain in the royal ass.

I'll definately check out the link. I've been curious since most people seem to have lower swashplate settings than E-flite has listed in their manual. However, I'm not changing anything unless I have an iron grasp on what it does. Last thing I want to do is blow this thing up again for a silly reason.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Aframomum

Oh, I think I got you know.

The feather thin washers - head dampening shims right? Yeah, there a bit of a pain if you drop them. You probably will want only 1 per side to start. The more you use the more stiff the dampening will be.

The swash settings are as follows: pitch, aerilon, and elevator. You will usually see them in a relatively even order, say 70-70-50 for example. That is just saying that the Aerilon servo mix, and elevator mix will move a certain distance given these numbers. The same with the pitch mix.

Try this as a test: first write down the number for the aerilon on your swash setting. Then move your aerilon stick all the way right or left - note how far the two side servo arms move and hence how far the swash tilts over. Now, reduce the aerilon swash number to say...20. Now move the aerilon stick. See the difference?

That's all there is to the swash settings. If you want your heli to move quickly to the left or right (aerilon swash setting) you raise your aerilon swash number - decrease it for slower response. Same for elevator movement - forward and backwards movement. The pitch setting will affect your blade pitch range, or degrees of pitch your blades will reach.

Hope this helps to sort out some of the confusion.

Mark
Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 AM
patryn

Seems pretty straight forward. As for the washers, the CP Pro has 3 per side.I have those in but lost the thicker ones that go on the screw, so I guess I have less damping by accident.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 AM
Aframomum

Hi Patryn,

If you are considering a 450 kit I saw a post in the trex forum where a guy was doing a build thread on a clone he got: see [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9534135/tm.htm]Here.[/link]

Looks like the heli link is [link=http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10902&Product_Name=HK-450GT_Pro_3D_Belt-Drive_Helicopter_Kit_(Align_T-Rex_Compat.)]Here.[/link]

Mind you it is just the barebones kit so you have to provide your own motor, ESC, cyclic servo's, gyro, and tail servo. But there is lots of flexibilty in the choices.

Mark
Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Solman

Ye;s, HKstands for Hong Kong. You can get them at Hobby King and is a great deal. I am eventually looking at getting a 500 and you can get the barebone kit for $56. Then ffrom there, you can pick and choose all the electronics that you want and is 98% compatible with the TREX 500.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
patryn

My buddy's doing that 400 trex clone. I'm thinking I should go 500. One thing I don't like are the trex stock bodies. The alien look isn't one I'm fond of. I may go Solman's method though. I just hovered the Pro2 in the bedroom and it started using a lot of stick and making a lot of noise. I'm hoping my motor isn't ****ting out on me now that I finally have it back together and retuned. I'm starting to get slightly annoyed again as nothing is working right. The DX6i still isn't getting the proper elevator control with my mSR and now the Pro2 is cropping up more issues.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:32 PM
choppersrule

Hi Guys,

Just dropping in to let ya know, that I did get one of the HK 450 Pro TT from Hobby King. You can't go wrong for the price. I can say this that the main frame is a dead ringer for a Trex 450. If you decide to purchase one, either the Torque tube or belt drive model, watch the attached build video. Because you do have to take the main shaft holders out to install the cyclic servos. Also attached is a site for spare parts.

Build Videos: http://www.helituning.com/index.php/...s.html?start=1

Parts: http://www.t-rex-parts.com/

Canopies: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=9431

For some reason, I can't copy the main page for canopies. Look in the left hand colum and look for "Quick Search", type in "canopy" and click on "find". That will bring up the page for a whole bunch of them. 250, 450, 500 and 600 size

Dave
Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM
patryn

Found my motor issue....found one of my lost washers.

Stock to the side of the motor....
Old 03-28-2010, 03:06 PM
choppersrule

LMAO, I lost a screw once, inside of a motor, took forever to get it out. Good find.
Dave
ORIGINAL: patryn

Found my motor issue....found one of my lost washers.

Stock to the side of the motor....
Old 03-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Aframomum

Yep, those motor magnets will get ya every time!

One thing to remember with the clones is you will have to replace certain parts with authentic Align parts to get things up to par. For example, on my Tarot 450 Pro TT I had to replace the main and spindle shaft, as well as the main and auto gears. Most of the build threads will already have this pointed out so you'll know what you need from the start of the build. It's not really that big of a deal just something to keep in mind.

For your next heli I would recommend you stay away from a torque tube model - a belted model would be more ideal. Reason being any type of tail touch and your risking stripping out some of the TT gears which could get very aggrevating over time.

Mark
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
patryn

Good call. I'll probably take a while piecing it together anyway. I've already spent way more than I'd planned on this hobby.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Solman

ORIGINAL: patryn

Good call. I'll probably take a while piecing it together anyway. I've already spent way more than I'd planned on this hobby.
Ha, the costs are just beginning.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Aframomum

Hi guys,

If anyone is interested I have been looking into a 500 and getting basic info on Align's and on clones. Here's what I found:

TRex 500 Types:

500CF ESP Superior Combo Kit $529.95 (Readyheli)
60A BL ESC w/ built in 5-6V BEC, 500L motor (12T and 13T pinions)
CF frames, all metal upgrades, and TT
3 – DS510 digital servos, 425mm CF main blades, multicolored canopy
…only kit that advertises metal parts…
(Heli, ESC, Motor, TT, cyclic servo’s, CF blades)
Requires: Gyro, Tail servo, Receiver, and Lipo battery

500CF Kit $399.95 (helidirect)
60A BL ESC, 500L motor (12T and 13T pinions)
CF frames, belt driven tail, needs metal upgrades
425mm CF main blades, yellow canopy

500GF Kit $399.99
60A BL ESC, 500L motor (13T pinion)
Fiberglass frames (silver), belt driven tail, needs metal upgrades
425 fiberglass blades, red canopy

TRex 500 Clones:

HK -500 EP $49.99 (Hobbycity)
Barebones kit, white canopy
Metal frame, 98% compatible w/ Trex 500 parts
Plastic head, tail, and bearing block
Belt driven

HK -500 GT $67.29 (Hobbycity)
Barebones kit, painted canopy
Metal frame, 100 % compatible w/ Trex parts
All metal head and metal bearing block
Plastic tail, belt driven

Copter X CX500 $124.99 (eHirobo)
CF frame, metal head, metal tail, and metal bearing block
Belt driven

EXI 500 $139.00 (Xheli)
Belt driven

Parts:
Copter X 500 metal head: $97.02 (eHirobo)
TT conversion kit: $81.00 (readyheli)
CF blades 425mm: $7.77 – $19.95 (Hobbycity)

Mark
Old 03-29-2010, 10:18 AM
patryn

My buddy sent me a link to this one. I don't want to spend a ton. Just enough to keep it reliably in the air.

http://www.xheli.com/exi-500-plastic...elicopter.html
Old 03-29-2010, 03:03 PM
choppersrule

Mark,

Lol on the 450 TT, on my first flight, which was pretty good. I landed in some heavy grass and stripped the front umbrella gear. Been snooping around the different forums and found that I probably had my tail blades to tight. I loosened those up, not so much that the flop around though. Also, I modified the vertical stabalizer. I had some old landing skids laying around and trimmed off one of the poles. Then I ca'd it to the veritcal stab, then wrapped it sewing thread and ca'd that. Next, I found that some of the guys are using the 500 size landing gear, that helps prevent tip overs and brings the heli a full inch higher off the ground. So I did that. I also, had to replace the main gear, it was out of round. And the anti-rotation gear, it was warped. I replaced all with Align products. I've been using Trexparts.com, average price, great shipping cost and get it in 3 or 4 days.
So for right now, I've got an addition 30 bucks in it. I've had only 4 flights on it since I stripped the umbrella gear, but all is fine and dandy now.

Dave

ORIGINAL: Aframomum

Yep, those motor magnets will get ya every time!

One thing to remember with the clones is you will have to replace certain parts with authentic Align parts to get things up to par. For example, on my Tarot 450 Pro TT I had to replace the main and spindle shaft, as well as the main and auto gears. Most of the build threads will already have this pointed out so you'll know what you need from the start of the build. It's not really that big of a deal just something to keep in mind.

For your next heli I would recommend you stay away from a torque tube model - a belted model would be more ideal. Reason being any type of tail touch and your risking stripping out some of the TT gears which could get very aggrevating over time.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30615.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1407368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81417.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1407369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55082.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1407370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19508.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1407371  
Old 03-29-2010, 03:13 PM
choppersrule

Solman,

You hit the nail on the head there. Just wait a few years fellas. I've only been doing this heli thing for 4 years, on the low side, I know I've got over 5 grand in it. LOL!

And that's nothing compared to a lot of the guys on RCU.

Dave
ORIGINAL: Solman

Ha, the costs are just beginning.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:36 PM
choppersrule

Mark,

I see you doing some homework here... Must mean you're deep in thought in getting a 500 size. Me too, but it's gonna be next summer before I do that. I've got a Bell 206 Scale heli I'm gonna be working on for the 450 size. It'll be my first scaler and I'm looking forward to the build.

One thing to keep in mind on a 500 size heli, is that your cyclic servos are a bit more expensive and so will the batteries. For the 500L motor, you should be running at least a 5S 3,000 mAh battery, and for best performance a 6S battery. If you don't have a charger that is capable of charging a 5S or 6S battery, add that to you list also.

Don't forget the Trex 700E will be out in a month or so. LOL!

Dave

Hi guys,

If anyone is interested I have been looking into a 500 and getting basic info on Align's and on clones. Here's what I found:

TRex 500 Types:

500CF ESP Superior Combo Kit $529.95 (Readyheli)
60A BL ESC w/ built in 5-6V BEC, 500L motor (12T and 13T pinions)
CF frames, all metal upgrades, and TT
3 – DS510 digital servos, 425mm CF main blades, multicolored canopy
…only kit that advertises metal parts…
(Heli, ESC, 500L Motor, TT, cyclic servo’s, CF blades)
Requires: Gyro, Tail servo, Receiver, and Lipo battery

500CF Kit $399.95 (helidirect)
60A BL ESC, 500L motor (12T and 13T pinions)
CF frames, belt driven tail, needs metal upgrades
425mm CF main blades, yellow canopy

500GF Kit $399.99
60A BL ESC, 500L motor (13T pinion)
Fiberglass frames (silver), belt driven tail, needs metal upgrades
425 fiberglass blades, red canopy

TRex 500 Clones:

HK -500 EP $49.99 (Hobbycity)
Barebones kit, white canopy
Metal frame, 98% compatible w/ Trex 500 parts
Plastic head, tail, and bearing block
Belt driven

HK -500 GT $67.29 (Hobbycity)
Metal frame, 100 % compatible w/ Trex parts
All metal head and metal bearing block
Plastic tail, belt driven

Copter X CX500 $124.99 (eHirobo)
Belt driven

EXI 500 $139.00 (Xheli)
Belt driven

Parts:
Copter X 500 metal head: $97.02 (eHirobo)
TT conversion kit: $81.00 (readyheli)
CF blades 425mm: $7.77 – $19.95 (Hobbycity)

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83863.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1407374  
Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Aframomum

Hi Dave,

I am planning on getting the 500 this year, have to give it some time though since I just got the Tarot Pro in January - think I went over my quota allowance for the time being.

You are absolutely right about the electronics and batteries. My breakdown on that is:
500M $90
Align 60A or CCIce Lite 75A $90 or $100
Gyro/Tail Servo Combo $185 (undecided)
cyclic servo's X3 $84

Believe it or not the batteries from Hobbycity are the least expensive part!

I found some Turnigy 30C 6S 2450 packs for $39.97 which I'll probably use. Haven't really decided on whether I want more milliamperage - will have to do a bit more searching for that.

I definitely want a TT for this bird. After having some time with one on my Pro I don't want to go back to a belt.

I also have considered just getting an ESP kit b/c afterwards the pricing is getting darn close if I stick with quality electronic parts. However, if I go with Hobbycity servo's for cyclic and thier motor then I can come out better pricewise.

Another thought is to buy someone else's ESP for a good deal - but I'm a bit leary as to the actual condition of it and what may or may not need replacing.

Glad I'm not in a big hurry to make a major purchase!

Costs...you ain't seen nothing yet!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Aframomum

Patryn,

The EXI plastic version of the 500 that Xheli sells is something I also have looked at. The plastic really isn't all that much.

For the head, you'll want to replace the mixing arms and washout arms (as they are plastic) - the rest of the head is metal alloy. I suggest getting CF frame sides to replace the aluminum frame sides because in a crash they will warp - I have read of guys having to remove them to straighten them out. That seems a bit...aggrevating!

The tail is all plastic so you'll have to read up on any issues with that. Also, the belt is associated with static buildup so you'll have to run a ground wire to the motor mount to take care of that. There is a large EXI thread for your reading pleasure [link=http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=156783&highlight=Xheli]Here.[/link]

Don't forget the usual stuff that may need replacing: shafts, main and auto gears, soft metal screws, etc.

Mark
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
choppersrule

Hey Mark,

Still doing homework I see. The 500 size, obviously not for a noobie, but it does have a lot of Plus to it. It's not to big and it's not to small,,, just right.
The 500's are incredibly stable and and extremely responsive, if that's how you dial it up in the TX.

The Turnigy 30C 6S 2450 packs your looking at is a great starting point. Just get one and see what your flying times are. You could go in two directions with that, more mAh packs for longer flight times, or more packs with lesser flight times. Boils down to the budget. The 30C will give you some really out standing power for sure. Don't expect more than 5 or 6 minutes of flight time.

I've been shopping at Hobbycity for a couple years, and they are hard to beat. Even with the higher shipping cost. Last week I just ordered a 5,000 mAh 25C for my 600 size for 60 bucks or so.. With the 5,000 bricks, I can get about 7 minutes of flight with no 3D.

I don't know what kind of chargers you have, but that's something else to consider, when charging 6S batteries.

Gotta run, the wife and I are leaving town for about 4 days or so.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am planning on getting the 500 this year, have to give it some time though since I just got the Tarot Pro in January - think I went over my quota allowance for the time being.

You are absolutely right about the electronics and batteries. My breakdown on that is:
500M $90
Align 60A or CCIce Lite 75A $90 or $100
Gyro/Tail Servo Combo $185 (undecided)
cyclic servo's X3 $84

Believe it or not the batteries from Hobbycity are the least expensive part!

I found some Turnigy 30C 6S 2450 packs for $39.97 which I'll probably use. Haven't really decided on whether I want more milliamperage - will have to do a bit more searching for that.

I definitely want a TT for this bird. After having some time with one on my Pro I don't want to go back to a belt.

I also have considered just getting an ESP kit b/c afterwards the pricing is getting darn close if I stick with quality electronic parts. However, if I go with Hobbycity servo's for cyclic and thier motor then I can come out better pricewise.

Another thought is to buy someone else's ESP for a good deal - but I'm a bit leary as to the actual condition of it and what may or may not need replacing.

Glad I'm not in a big hurry to make a major purchase!

Costs...you ain't seen nothing yet!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Aframomum

Dave,

Wish you a safe and enjoyable trip!

Mark